Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,236 through 2,250 (of 2,331 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Stephen Graf
    Moderator
      Post count: 2434

      Very nice!! So what will you finish the bow with?

      I’d like to see some pictures of the bow braced / unbraced after several hundred shots…

      Stephen Graf
      Moderator
        Post count: 2434
        in reply to: HELP – STINGER! #58513

        The experts say holding the string on the tips of your fingers is a no-no.

        I used to do this. But found that when I started taking the string “deep” into my first joint, things got better. It feels a little weird at first, but it gets better. Taking the string on your finger tips causes a person to crab their hand, which can lead to crazy shots like you experienced.

        The experts also say that a callus on your 3rd finger that comes around to you nail is a sign of keeping your elbow too high. Again, I took their advice and things got better for me.

        For myself, I found a longer bow also helped relieved the callus.

        My references to “experts” comes from the Masters of the bare bow CD and Byron Ferguson’s book.

        Stephen Graf
        Moderator
          Post count: 2434

          Dave – My family of 4 eats as you suggest! If I don’t catch it or shoot it, we don’t eat it (except for the chickens we raise). So if you need some help with those elk, let me know! I’ve got 3 sets of hungry eyes staring at me 😳

          Here’s my super simple (not original I’m sure) recipe:

          Back strap (or tenderloin)
          Onion
          Butter
          wine
          Salt
          Pepper
          garlic
          Iron Skillet

          Cut the back strap into medallions 1/2 in thick. Marinate in wine and garlic
          Saute the onions in the skillet with butter. Add the back strap. Cook on each side for 30 seconds.

          done.

          Stephen Graf
          Moderator
            Post count: 2434

            53 to 70 pounds is a big jump. I would hope you have way more than 10 good years left in you. So my advice is to be patient.

            If you love the bow, then buy it and put it on the wall. then get yourself a 60 or 63 lb bow to work with. After you shoot that for a year or more, then move up to the 70lb bow if you still want to.

            Even 10lbs seems to be a big jump. But everything is relative and every person is different. So if you are a big strapping guy, or one of those sorry wiry guys that are ox strong, then maybe my advice is not relevant. But the last thing you want to do is bugger up your shoulder. If you do that, you will wish you had just stayed with your 53lb bow. Which is, in truth, plenty.

            Stephen Graf
            Moderator
              Post count: 2434

              I have 4 “oranges” I’m going to plant this spring… Anybody want some seeds?

              Looking forward to seeing yet another osage beauty come into the world!

              Stephen Graf
              Moderator
                Post count: 2434
                in reply to: Keepin' It Trad… #54431

                What happened? I was gone for 2 weeks (took the family to costa rica for 2 weeks to wait out the worst of the weather) and was planning on posting some pictures on the “outside” forum.

                I was hoping somebody missed me and put a “where’s steve graf” message there too 8)

                Oh well, all the exciting stuff seems to happen when I’m not looking…:oops:

                Oh yea, I’m back, thanks for asking 😯

                Stephen Graf
                Moderator
                  Post count: 2434
                  in reply to: HELP – STINGER! #54419

                  I hate this piece of advice, because it has been given to me and seems to work some, but I am always slipping back into bad habits.

                  Here’s the advice,.. lower your elbow on your string arm. When your elbow is too high, it puts undue force on your 3rd finger.

                  I know this won’t help with the immediate tenderness, but when your finger feels better, it may help keep it from getting injured again.

                  Another thing that helps,… I found that when I went to a longer bow, it took some of the strain off my 3rd finger.

                  Stephen Graf
                  Moderator
                    Post count: 2434

                    Are you getting the bow from the maker? If so, I am sure it will come with a string. Most likely a flemish twist.

                    My humble opinion is that a flemish twist is easier to deal with, to make, and to keep accessories like dampers installed in.

                    In the long run, it is just what you get used to. Let us know if the bow comes without a string….

                    Stephen Graf
                    Moderator
                      Post count: 2434

                      3Rivers has an insert like this in aluminum or brass. I think the brass ones would come pretty close to doing as good a job as the steel ones, at a fraction of the cost. OOOH baby those are expensive!!!

                      I have considered these before, but my problem is that I need to pull double duty from my arrows. I need to put field points, blunts, and broadheads on the arrows.

                      Another problem is travel. I have been asked to remove the broadheads from my arrows at the airport several times. So now I just keep my broadheads in a leather wallet in my suitcase. I use a metal stamp to number the broadheads, and a sharpie to number my arrows. So match up is no problem.

                      For me, a steel broadhead adapter and a brass insert are the best compromise. If it wasn’t for real life getting in the way though, I would agree that those steel adapters would be sweet!

                      Stephen Graf
                      Moderator
                        Post count: 2434
                        in reply to: Bow Tuning #37899

                        My experience is that it is ok if the nock is a little high.

                        If the arrow is entering the target on a good line left to right, but the nock is just a little high (inch or less) then I have found this to be no problem.

                        I put my nock set on the string about 1/2 to 5/8 above center. This way I am sure to get a clean cast off the shelf. So if your arrow is closer to center than that, you may want to consider moving it up.

                        I have found that some bows just like to shoot a bare shaft with the nock a little high. That’s what they do and it doesn’t matter once you get fletching on the arrow.

                        Stephen Graf
                        Moderator
                          Post count: 2434

                          Chris,

                          If your recurve has overlays on the tips, then you are ok to use fast flight string. An overlay is just additional material laminated over the tip where the string groove is. If you see materials of different colors than the back of the bow on the tip, then that is the overlay.

                          One consideration when switching to fast flight is the thickness of the string. Fast flight strings are generally thinner and may cause problems with good arrow nock fit. When you first nock an arrow, pay attention to how it fits. It will probably be too loose which can cause a dry fire. An easy fix is to add an additional wrap of serving.

                          The biggest advantage to me is string wear. Fast flight string is much much tougher than B50 and will last a whole lot longer.

                          Stephen Graf
                          Moderator
                            Post count: 2434

                            For fiberglass bows, not likely. For a self bow or bamboo backed bow, then probably.

                            The way to wear a bow out before its time, is to shoot arrows that are too light, or to dry fire the bow.

                            If you have a fairly new fiberglass laminated bow with overlays at the ends of the limbs, that is made to handle the newer string materials, then you have no worries.

                            Stephen Graf
                            Moderator
                              Post count: 2434
                              in reply to: Upgrades #35395

                              The thing I see different is that it automatically subscribes me to the thread unless you check “no” every time I post. I don’t need no stinking email….

                              Stephen Graf
                              Moderator
                              Moderator
                                Post count: 2434
                                in reply to: Tough Hunt #35389

                                Good stories! More please….

                                Stephen Graf
                                Moderator
                                  Post count: 2434
                                  in reply to: A hunting story #34160

                                  The beauty and majesty of the land and beast you have the privilege to live among almost makes me want to move north….I said almost 🙂

                                  I know you will enjoy your transition to the bow. The thrill you will get from harvesting a deer or elk like you did this year at 15 yds with a stick and string is unspeakable.

                                  I look forward to reading that article!!!

                                Viewing 15 posts - 2,236 through 2,250 (of 2,331 total)