Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 2,331 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Stephen Graf
    Moderator
      Post count: 2434

      In our area the grass carp are usually protected.  You might want to see if they are in your neck of the woods.

      It can be tough on the old brain to make sure you don’t drop an arrow into one around here.  Our common carp (shootable) usually top out about 25 lbs, and so it isn’t uncommon to see grass carp in that size  too.  But when one of those monsters comes lolling by, its easy to salute.

      If the grass carp are in a private pond, they are open season.  But in large bodies managed by the state, the carp are protected in NC.

      Stephen Graf
      Moderator
        Post count: 2434

        I don’t know…  A good thump on the chest lets you know you are still in the fight 👍

        Good luck with those deadheads.  That’s some good mojo!

        Stephen Graf
        Moderator
          Post count: 2434
          in reply to: ? Crazy string #163589

          Hey Ralph!

          You posted this back in ’15 and if I remember correctly, there were other pictures of the same effect posted.  I think it is the result of camera limitations, not how the string actually looks.

          I use the same argument with my wife when she say’s I look like I need a shower and a haircut and I should clean up my act.  I say “No honey, I’m just fine.  Maybe your glasses are dirty”.  O’course that never works out for me neither. 🤪

          Stephen Graf
          Moderator
            Post count: 2434

            The next question is…  Do you play?  Or maybe a grandkid somewhere?

            Thanks for sharing!

            Stephen Graf
            Moderator
              Post count: 2434
              in reply to: Arrow Wood Help #163174

              WoW! you do have a long draw length!

              You said you are using a shaft that is 7/16th in diameter.  That is thicker than the standard, and so that means you can think outside the box.  With an arrow that long, it seems like you could move up to 1/2 inch diameter and gain plenty more spine.  Can you imagine a 1/2 inch diameter arrow?  A thing of beauty!

              As Aero mentioned, poplar makes a good shaft and is an economical fast growing wood.  It might come in lighter than the douglas fir as well.

              The wood database is a wonderful resource, but wood is an organic product and thus doesn’t obey the rules all the time.  I find that the weight is usually higher and the strength is usually less than that advertised in the database.

              I used douglas fir for a long time, but poplar works easier and goes through the doweler more cleanly.  It’s cheaper and more plentiful.  It’s also just as tough, IMO.

              Stephen Graf
              Moderator
                Post count: 2434

                Happy Birthday!  And good luck with the carp.  It’s gonna be a nice day around here today.  Hopefully where you are too.

                Stephen Graf
                Moderator
                  Post count: 2434

                  Thanks for starting the thread up again.  It will be fun to see what people are up to 😁

                  Stephen Graf
                  Moderator
                    Post count: 2434
                    in reply to: Fred Asbell #162383

                    A sad day for us indeed.  I always enjoyed Fred’s books and articles.

                    Fred lived his  good life on his own terms, and left a fine mark.  What more could be wanted?  I raise my cup to Fred. Salute!

                    Stephen Graf
                    Moderator
                      Post count: 2434

                      Sounds like fun!  Thanks for sharing.

                      I went for a squirrel walk the other day, but didn’t loose any arrows.  It was just too pretty out to go and ruin their day.  So I just watched.

                      Stephen Graf
                      Moderator
                        Post count: 2434

                        In my experience, 20 grains or even 50 grains doesn’t really make that much difference.  But adding extra lacquer to the lighter arrows will even things out.

                        Howard Hill used to do demonstrations where he would take arrows from volunteers in the audience and shoot them into the bulls eye.   He had no idea the weight or spine or length when he took them.  But he could still hit the bulls eye just fine.

                        All that said, I’ve bought arrow shafts that were graded to be within 10 grains and 5 lbs spine.  When I check them they were really within 120 grains and 15lbs spine.  If you get into wood arrows, the first things you need are a scale and a spine tester.

                        Merry Xmas, and a Happy New Year everybody!

                        Stephen Graf
                        Moderator
                          Post count: 2434

                          I thought we were talking about camo: realtree or something called artificial.  I was gonna say I just wear wool plaids.

                          Is it that time of year already? Dang time flies…

                          Stephen Graf
                          Moderator
                            Post count: 2434

                            Sitka Spruce makes very good arrows.

                            I like my arrows to be a cheap as possible so I don’t worry about losing or breaking them.  So the cost of Sitka Spruce arrows is, to me, the only downside of that wood.

                            Finding the shafts might be challenging. The suppliers I know have gone out of business.  Where do you intend to get it?

                            Stephen Graf
                            Moderator
                              Post count: 2434

                              If wood arrows have a fault, its that every now and again one will fly off target no matter how hard we try to fix it or make it straight.  Its been my experience that if an arrow flies like that, there’s nothing you can do about it but find some other use for the wood, or bust it as you did with another arrow  👹 😎

                              I had one that did a similar thing.  It flew a foot or more to the right no matter what I did.  And it was as straight as straight could be.  Wood, being organic is prone to having internal variations both visible and invisible.  Ain’t we all?

                               

                              Stephen Graf
                              Moderator
                                Post count: 2434

                                Now Richard I think you have opened a can of worms!  In my opinion there are very few “bent” shafts that won’t fly straighter than I can shoot.  In fact, I have noticed that some of my less straight wood arrows fly more consistently than my straightest arrows.

                                I think arrow straightness as a value added price point has been one of the greatest shams foisted on archers since the invention of inorganic arrows (aluminum, fiberglass, carbon).  Unfortunately, most buy right into it and shell over the bucks for literally nothing.

                                Which isn’t to say that there are not qualities that can be measured and that set a consistently accurate arrow apart from them that ain’t.  Fletching long enough and high enough to control the arrow, adequate FOC, mass weight, length, spine, diameter,  a good string nock fit, all add up to a good flying arrow.

                                This should get lively 😱

                                Stephen Graf
                                Moderator
                                  Post count: 2434

                                  We will have to see how long the batteries last.  Tesla has tested their batteries to 3,000,000 miles with less than 20% degradation.  I’m sure their newer batteries are even better.  I expect the car’s suspension and bearings will give out before the batteries do.

                                  Our 2018 Bolt has almost 70,000 miles and the battery is still 100%.

                                  The best part is not having to buy gas, and no oil changes.  I’m getting too old to keep crawling under the car.  I have to save my back for dragging deer 😁

                                Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 2,331 total)