Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,296 through 2,310 (of 2,331 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Stephen Graf
    Moderator
    Moderator
      Post count: 2434

      I have applied the snake skin fabric backing. I don’t think it’s the greatest looking stuff, but what can compare to the real thing. This bow has been an exercise in education:x

      I applied the fabric with tight bond 2. After allowing it to dry for 24 hours, it popped off! Lesson learned – TBII doesn’t bond to carbon.

      So I redid it with epoxy. Here’s the tape on the sides of the bow to keep the glue off:

      Here’s a picture of the backing before any sanding to get it smoothed in on the edges:

      Things are ugly right now, hopefully it can only get better:oops:

      Stephen Graf
      Moderator
        Post count: 2434

        Speaking for those of us with no talent, I have to respectfully disagree with Dave. I started out with a 62 inch bow for all the reasons Dave mentions. I had a dickens of a time getting good groups. So I made a 64 inch bow. And my groups improved a lot. I shot 64 inch bows for some years until I just couldn’t seem to get any better. Then I moved up to a 66 inch bow, and my groups started improving again.

        While it is true that I have a harder time maneuvering a longer bow, and have to make compromises in my shot opportunities, I have to live with that. At least when a chance to shoot comes my way, I know I have a good chance of making good on it.

        So I would recommend getting a longer bow first. Then after you get some experience under your belt, you can always get a smaller bow. I think it is true that if you can shoot a short bow well, you can shoot a longer bow to. The opposite isn’t true and thus you may end up getting frustrated and/or buying more bows than you want if you start off with a shorter bow.

        2 cents from an average archer.

        Stephen Graf
        Moderator
        Moderator
          Post count: 2434

          Duncan,

          Here is the link to the snakeskin fabric:
          http://www.discountfabricsusacorp.com/snakeskinprint.html

          I may take you up on the tree bark cloth. I looked around and none of the new camo’s really would look as good as the tree bark camo in my opinion.

          Maybe we can work a trade after I get the snakeskin fabric. If it works out and you like the looks of the bow when it is done.

          It may be a week before the fabric gets delivered, and a week after that before I can post finished pictures.

          Stephen Graf
          Moderator
          Moderator
            Post count: 2434

            The riser is laminated birch called dymonwood and the core is actionboo which is laminated bamboo. I get my stuff from bingham projects.

            I think we all have a story of stupidity from our youth. I can remember a few moments from my youth when I was close to a stupid death and didn’t realize it until the moment passed…. and I cringe to think what stupid things my kids have yet to do.:oops:

            It truly is amazing that we survive our youth… I’m glad the mango tree was the one that suffered for your impulsive shot and not you!

            Stephen Graf
            Moderator
            Moderator
              Post count: 2434

              And here is the handle mostly sanded. Just a little more work on the arrow shelf and overlays to go…

              Stephen Graf
              Moderator
              Moderator
                Post count: 2434

                Here are some pictures of the nocks. They are about 60 percent sanded. I will post new pictures after they are finished. I used black and tan phenolic overlays to match the copperhead skins that I probably won’t be using now. But I ordered some snakeskin fabric off the internet and am awaiting delivery. Hopefully it will look good. If not…maybe the skins will get used…

                Stephen Graf
                Moderator
                Moderator
                  Post count: 2434

                  And here are some of the riser overlay’s being added and the profile of the bow being cut out. More to come…

                  Stephen Graf
                  Moderator
                  Moderator
                    Post count: 2434

                    OK, here goes…I am posting the first of hopefully many pictures. Problem is, that many of my initial pictures got lost off the camera chip. Kids? Me? Don’t know. But I will get more. Here are 2 pictures of the bow in the form:

                    Stephen Graf
                    Moderator
                      Post count: 2434

                      Move the nock set on your string up a bit, and/or move your bow hand down:oops:

                      I am guessing you are shooting a long bow. Thus using my (not so) amazing powers of deduction, if this is happening with several bows, then it most likely is a form problem. Thus, you may need to cant the bow more.

                      Thats all I’ve got.

                      Stephen Graf
                      Moderator
                        Post count: 2434

                        Assuming you are using parallel shafts, then I would recommend:
                        1. that you glue your inserts in using an epoxy or Bohnings insert glue.
                        2. Cut the shaft from the tail end to obtain correct spine. It is easy to remove and reinstall the nock.

                        Doing this allows you to not risk losing your insert in the target, and gives you a better glue joint with the point insert (since you are not removing/replacing it multiple times)

                        Rough up and clean the inside of the shaft before gluing. Clean the insert with IPA as well.

                        Note – Carbon shaft manufacturers warn against using any type of hot glue.

                        Stephen Graf
                        Moderator
                          Post count: 2434

                          If it was me, I would buy it (not too expensive mind you) because it is a Bear bow made in Grayling, but thats because I’m a Fred Bear Fan. Some people have good luck shooting short bows. Some don’t. If you have a longer draw length you may not like it.

                          Stephen Graf
                          Moderator
                            Post count: 2434

                            In my humble opinion, harvesting an old doe is the toughest challenge there is. A big old buck is shy and thus hard to connect with. But a doe has spent her whole life looking out for the welfare of others and thus is wise to the evils that lurk.
                            I have found that old does are very tuned in to “evil intent”. So when I am hunting I try not to dwell on the intended outcome in my mind. Happy thoughts make for non threatening body language and vibes. And the deer respond in kind.
                            Still in all, to harvest an old doe with a traditional bow is a rare accomplishment, at least for me.

                            Stephen Graf
                            Moderator
                              Post count: 2434

                              keep twisting.:)

                              Stephen Graf
                              Moderator
                                Post count: 2434

                                “Confession and an Oath”. What a great title. I was expecting something juicy,… oh well.

                                I can’t make that commitment because I am always finding ways to “improve” my setup. I also like to see what happens when I try something different. Not talking about spending a bunch of money on grizzly sticks. Talking about fooling around with the string, the arrow shelf, feathers, nocks, etc.

                                I think if I got to the point where I thought I had all my problems licked and didn’t need to change my setup and would just hunt with the same stuff from then on,….I’d quit.

                                But, in the spirit of not changing things, I think you should put your other “hat picture” back up. I, liked it.:D

                                Stephen Graf
                                Moderator
                                  Post count: 2434
                                  in reply to: Get off me! #18245

                                  Look at that non-typical rack!

                                  Other bucks PAIL by comparison!

                                  I hope he doesn’t kick the BUCKET before someone gets to harvest him!

                                  OK, I’m done.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 2,296 through 2,310 (of 2,331 total)