Forum Replies Created

Viewing 6 posts - 2,326 through 2,331 (of 2,331 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Stephen Graf
    Moderator
      Post count: 2434

      I took my training wheels off 4 seasons ago. So I am still in the early stages. With that said, my experience so far leads me to say that accuracy is 90% in the bow arm/hand and 10% in the string arm/hand.

      I didn’t really worry much about my release until my groups got small enough to allow me to hunt. Then I started seeing some inconsistencies that I couldn’t explain. I to found that a good push/pull form worked very well to establish better accuracy. But then I went hunting….

      As has been said, form is everything. And I agree. But the form has to be robust so that it can handle uneven foot position, crazy angles, twisting, etc. I found that when I used the push/pull form and ended with my string hand touching my shoulder after the shot, I had some wayward arrows.

      So then I started using the dead hand release. Thus keeping my string hand against my face after the shot. What I noticed is that my absolute accuracy was not as good (almost though), my wayward shots were not nearly as bad. And for me, a good shot on a deer is the goal, not a dot.

      I splurged on the Fred Bear videos from 3Rivers over the last 3 seasons. And I noticed something interesting. If you look at Fred’s form back in the ’50’s you will see him using the back tension method and touching his shoulder after the shot. In his later years he uses a dead release.

      I think the method a person uses has to be based on their physical structure. For me I am so sloppy jointed and crooked boned that I need to keep my hand still to avoid throwing the string. Then I push like a crazy man with my bow arm still the arrow hits the mark. It ain’t pretty, but it works. That’s how I build my shot.

      I could never pat my head and rub my stomach…or is it rub my stomach and pat my head? awww damn, I just fell down while chewing gum again!

      Mostly remember archery is an elective sport. Keep it fun, don’t beat yourself up too much. Take a break and think about what’s happening. Come up with a new plan and give it a try when you are feeling good.

      Stephen Graf
      Moderator
        Post count: 2434

        Sorry to see the cracks,…but it may not be all that bad. I have read that cracks that run the length of the glass do not affect the integrity of the bow. I have a bow that has a crack up the limb and I have continued to shoot it without further problem.

        I think the glass with “scrim” is supposed to alleviate the problem of longitudinal cracks. I haven’t had the problem in bows I made using the scrim glass.

        I think bows made in the winter months are more prone to the cracking due to the expansion problem. I read in one of Fred Bear’s biographies that he had a bunch of bows do this back in the 60’s due to the really dry cold winter they had that year. He replaced all the bows and it nearly made him bankrupt.

        You are in good company 😳

        Stephen Graf
        Moderator
        Moderator
          Post count: 2434
          in reply to: Grip Inspiration #20114

          Dennis, Thanks for the pictures. I have made increasingly complex grips and gotten very pretty bows that don’t seem friendly. So I was pretty set on going back to the basics. Looking at your riser, the fade outs seem to have a steep slope. How is it holding up? Do you attribute anything good or bad to this taper? And finally, would you attach a picture of the riser from the belly side?

          Thanks again. This is just the inspiration I needed!!!:D

          Oh yea, I put the finger contours on my last bow, same as you show here. And I am thinking it makes me lazy in my grip. How do you feel about the finger contours?

          Stephen Graf
          Moderator
            Post count: 2434
            in reply to: Scent-Lok #14569

            I have used scent-loc stuff and can’t say that it makes a big difference. No matter what you will get busted from time to time.

            I have found a cheap cover scent that seems to help at least as much as anything else. I buy a bottle of cedar oil from a website in Texas. I then make a mixture of 10oz water, 2 oz cedar oil, and a drip of ivory dish soap. When sprayed on my cloths, it lasts many days, basically till the next wash.

            You need cedars in your area though, or you will stand out. to their noses….

            Stephen Graf
            Moderator
              Post count: 2434

              I don’t know where to start. If I understand you right, you have never lost a deer before. If this is so, you should count yourself very lucky. And you are a hero to me. Just the other day I was figuring how many deer I have harvested. And the number came out about the same as yours. But I must say that I have lost more than one. In fact, I am currently suffering the misery of losing one right now. I can tell you the feeling lasts about a week for me. I have a hard time going back out there until the feeling leaves. I double and triple up on the practice. I berate myself. Nothing seems to help but time. In the end though, I believe that nothing improves the hunter spirit like a little humble pie. It doesn’t taste good, but it does build strength, fortitude, and wisdom. Thank you for sharing your misery. It helped me realize I am not alone. If a person admits they have lost one, I think it helps them to keep it from happening again… too soon anyway. Good luck tracking your doe and I hope you find it. Thanks again for sharing your story. It takes guts to share not only the good, but the bad.

              Stephen Graf
              Moderator
              Moderator
                Post count: 2434

                Thanks for the help. What you described is basically what I do. I was hoping for a “trick” that might compensate for my lack of craftsmanship. I seem to have to learn this lesson over and over – As with all things archery, there is no shortcut for patience and skill.

              Viewing 6 posts - 2,326 through 2,331 (of 2,331 total)