Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,221 through 2,235 (of 2,331 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Stephen Graf
    Moderator
      Post count: 2434
      in reply to: Bow fishing #36977

      Aim low. If you miss, aim lower next time. 8)

      For a retriever, get the one with a small jug that holds the line, AMS retriever reel.

      For an arrow, make sure you have an AMS “safety slide” on it which secures the line in a collar.

      Get a rubber Gadget adapter to allow you to mount the reel to the bow.

      All items available from 3Rivers or Sulleys bow fishing supplies.

      I went this weekend and had a Blast. Shot 5 times, got 3 carp. Still a bit early here…

      Stephen Graf
      Moderator
        Post count: 2434
        in reply to: Bow Wax #32154

        I found paste wax at Lowes. They have it.

        But I have to agree with Steve, for laminated bows it doesn’t help much.

        I have used the gunstock wax made by the same company that makes tru-oil. Name starts with a b…. I forget. It seems to work pretty well, but after a month or 2 it’s hard to tell it’s on there.

        Best thing is to have a good finish on the bow to start with…

        Stephen Graf
        Moderator
          Post count: 2434

          Nice scenes and weather shots….

          But with the word “freezer” in the title, well, I was expecting a skinning scene… 😀

          Stephen Graf
          Moderator
            Post count: 2434

            Shitaki Mushrooms have started coming on the logs…

            Asparagus still hasn’t made a showing yet…

            Lettuce, spinach, and taters in the garden…

            Groundhogs have started new holes under the barns…

            Time to put last years broadheads to good use!

            Duncan – you catch any fish? One of the guys from the Tuesday night group brought a 13lb bass he caught yesterday.

            Stephen Graf
            Moderator
              Post count: 2434
              in reply to: bow laminations #28801

              In General, edge grain will contribute to the cast of the bow more than flat grain.

              In General, Flat grain looks better under the glass than edge grain.

              In General, when making a glass laminated bow the most important contributor to bow weight is the overall thickness of the limb, not the core material used.

              Many bowyers use edge grain in the core laminations, then flat grain laminations right under the glass for looks.

              Have fun!

              Stephen Graf
              Moderator
                Post count: 2434

                Tim,

                Math and physics are only useful in evaluating and predicting objective events. “do good out to X many yards” unfortunately is subjective.

                Same goes for weight forward. Although there are a lot of folks that would say the ideal arrow would have zero mass in the shaft and 100% of the mass would be in the broadhead. Obviously no real arrow can meet this condition, but it gives a boundary for evaluation of real arrow setups.

                Thus you are left in the same conundrum as the rest of us. There is no Archery Holy Grail, only the long journey of self discovery. And the confidence that comes from personal experience with the success of your personal setup… And sharing that experience with others.

                Stephen Graf
                Moderator
                  Post count: 2434

                  Nice Job!

                  If you have trouble with your inserts staying in, score the inside of the shaft before glueing and clean the insert with IPA.

                  Stephen Graf
                  Moderator
                    Post count: 2434

                    Chris,

                    I tried to degrease a beaver tail with bio-diesel fuel, which is supposed to be an excellent solvent. Didn’t work too well.

                    If it was me, I’d stick with the tide or joy. Cheaper and easier to dispose of.

                    I think Duncan has a good idea… Maybe when your mom isn’t looking, you could just toss that tail in with load of laundry she’s doing 😀 😀 I hope you are living on campus, cause if you aren’t, you will be!! 😯 😯

                    Stephen Graf
                    Moderator
                      Post count: 2434
                      in reply to: Caribou Hunts #23386

                      I hunted woodland caribou in NewFoundland.

                      It was a tough hunt and we walked a lot over land that I can only describe as : “walking on a field of bowling balls”.

                      But the people are great and it was probably my favorite hunt that I have taken.

                      I would recommend that you add a few days to your trip to sight see around the island

                      I’m having trouble remembering the outfitters name, but if you are interested I’ll go look it up. It was a top notch outfit.

                      Stephen Graf
                      Moderator
                        Post count: 2434

                        That beaver looks suspiciously dry….

                        And where is all that snow you had?????

                        Good luck with the hide and tail. If you are going to tan it yourself, don’t take any shortcuts on degreasing the hide/tail. If you don’t get it completely degreased before tanning it, peeuuuuu!

                        And it’s nice to hear from you!

                        Stephen Graf
                        Moderator
                          Post count: 2434
                          in reply to: longbow press? #20034

                          Carl,

                          I hate to break the bad news to you…. But once you start, there will never be a finish.

                          Post those pictures!

                          Stephen Graf
                          Moderator
                            Post count: 2434

                            Patrick,

                            Happy Birthday!!…and many more… 😀

                            Stephen Graf
                            Moderator
                            Moderator
                              Post count: 2434
                              in reply to: 50's style bow #14447

                              I’m thinking more along the lines of the bows that Bear made. Fiberglass backed with a working reflex.

                              I believe the Mustang bow that Glen St. Charles made was like this as well, and was probably the first…

                              Stephen Graf
                              Moderator
                                Post count: 2434
                                in reply to: longbow press? #62036

                                I bought Binghams video’s on making a longbow and recurve. Both video’s were very informative. If you are going to build a bow, I would encourage you to get the video.

                                I gave the video to a friend who seemed interested in building a bow, so I can’t review it for what the lams were for. But I believe that applying these laminations would give the bow some back set.

                                If you are going to build a bow using Binghams kits and draw weight charts, then you should use the tapered laminations in your bow form as the instructions call for. Otherwise, your final bow weight might not be what you want.

                                And finally, I would encourage you to build a bow. It is great fun!

                                Stephen Graf
                                Moderator
                                  Post count: 2434

                                  Jason – Where are you getting Carbon Express heritage shafts for $55.00? I want some…

                                Viewing 15 posts - 2,221 through 2,235 (of 2,331 total)