Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,251 through 2,265 (of 2,331 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Stephen Graf
    Moderator
      Post count: 2434
      in reply to: A hunting story #32996

      Nice Story. I could smell that northern air as I read it…. but a word of advice: don’t try a 130 yd shot with your bow 😯

      The only complaint I had on the story was that I would have liked a picture of the buck you shot after the elk and maybe your camp. But I know, space is always limited…

      Stephen Graf
      Moderator
        Post count: 2434
        in reply to: Small Game #30827

        I think the conservative squirrels run to the feeder when no one is looking and take as much seed as they can carry back in the woods to bury. That way they are the only ones that benefit.
        The liberal squirrels always get blamed because they are willing to be seen and share with the birds. 😉

        Stephen Graf
        Moderator
          Post count: 2434

          Seems obvious to me.

          Whenever I would have my designs or analysis reviewed (engineering work) I would take it as the highest compliment when the person would say “seems obvious to me”.

          The simplest design / concept is always the hardest to come up with. But once the idea has been had, and communicated, it becomes “obvious” to the observer.

          Congratulations on your success at the ATA and I’m glad to see you are up and around!

          Stephen Graf
          Moderator
            Post count: 2434
            in reply to: Small Game #28860

            Hammerheads, do I like them? Not sure yet. I like the way they look. And they are tough. I have shot them into a lot of stumps and they are still sharp.

            But I have only hit 1 squirrel so far, and he “got away”. I don’t know how he could have survived the shot. But when I took my eye off him, he managed to at least crawl away far enough to not be found.

            I must collect more evidence before I make an opinion.

            Stephen Graf
            Moderator
              Post count: 2434
              in reply to: Flemish strings #28598

              When I finish one loop, I clamp the end of the twist with a close pin to keep it tight. I started with a close pin instead of an alligator clip because,…I had one… and there are no worries of damaging the fibers with the wood clip.

              Stephen Graf
              Moderator
                Post count: 2434
                in reply to: Small Game #28583

                Duncan, glad to hear you are out giving the old squirrels a run for their lives!

                I have taken 5 shots at squirrels this year. The first shot was at 12 yds with a hammer head blunt. He was sitting there facing me when I drew and released. The arrow appeared to hit him square in the chest. The arrow came back about 6 inches, and the squirrel flew about 5 feet. Whereupon he started kicking in a circle in the leaves.

                I took my eye off him as another squirrel was coming in to me for a shot. After about 5 minutes I shot at the second squirrel but it was a close miss. Never did find the first squirrel 👿

                Took my boy to the NCBA rabbit hunt yesterday, 30 guys and kids, 6 shots, no rabbits. But we had a good time and shot a lot of stumps.

                Stephen Graf
                Moderator
                  Post count: 2434
                  in reply to: snakeskin backing #23115

                  Applying real snake skin is not reversible. It is also expensive if you want someone else to do it.

                  If you want to do it yourself, snake skins are available in a variety of species for about $50.00.

                  There are also faux snakeskin coverings you can get from Kustom King which can be installed and removed easily yourself.

                  Stephen Graf
                  Moderator
                    Post count: 2434
                    in reply to: Twisting Limbs #23108

                    Limb twist can be taken out in 2 ways:

                    String nock Depth – increase depth of nock on strong side of limb. Be careful not to go too deep. File a few strokes, check twist, etc.

                    Limb Width – Sand, Rasp, stiff side of limb. Be careful not to take off too much at a time.

                    To determine the strong side of the limb, look down the limb back with the bow braced, from the handle to the tip. The strong side is the side closest to the string.

                    Adjusting nock depth will not affect tiller. Adjusting limb width will, so keep that in mind.

                    Finally, with self bows you may end up with some twist in the limbs as a result of the character of the grain. Nothing you can do about it.

                    Developing the judgement to know when you have done all you can do, and the bow has been freed from the stave, is what it is all about. Good luck, have fun, and let us see a picture 😛

                    Stephen Graf
                    Moderator
                      Post count: 2434
                      in reply to: Yarn #22231

                      Wool socks, socks, and more socks. My wife is a master knitter. We’ve been married 20 years and I don’t think a handful of nights have passed that she isn’t working on something. Sweaters and scarfs are nice too.

                      Hint – good wool, yack, alpaca, or whatever beast, yarn makes great string silencers…. I always get my wife’s scrap yarn. Take a piece about 9 ft long and wrap it around two fingers. Separate the string and put the middle of the yarn loop in the string. Brace the bow, and use a knife to cut the loop on each side. Shoot about 20 times and poof! A perfect silencer.

                      Stephen Graf
                      Moderator
                      Moderator
                        Post count: 2434

                        I gave a piece of the snake skin cloth to the folks at Eagles Flight Archery and they made a custom quiver for me to match the bow. I still need to finish the cloth with tru oil to give it the same look as the bow, but I thought I’d add some pictures to show how it looks so far.

                        Many thanks to Eagles Flight Archery for their excellent customer service!!!

                        Stephen Graf
                        Moderator
                          Post count: 2434

                          I think you will get more interest if you give the details, including a few pictures.

                          I have a horne longbow and it is very nice, too short for me though…

                          Stephen Graf
                          Moderator
                            Post count: 2434

                            Remember, Take the time to HAVE FUN.

                            Hunting is a SLOW sport, don’t be quick to judge

                            Mistakes Happen, resist frustration.

                            Enjoy the day

                            Read, read, read

                            Practice, practice, practice

                            Stephen Graf
                            Moderator
                              Post count: 2434
                              in reply to: eye dominant issue #18636

                              Eye wouldn’t worry about it 😆 😆

                              If you are shooting alright, then no problem. The idea is that you want your dominant eye over the arrow. This keeps your line of sight in line with the arrow. If your non dominant eye is over the arrow, you may end up shooting off to one side.

                              Fact is, any “test” you do to determine your eye dominance is not conclusive. But if you pay attention to how you look at things, you will over time figure out which eye is really dominant.

                              So shoot the bows you have, and have fun. If you get a chance to shoot a left handed bow sometime, give it a try.

                              And to answer your question about retraining which eye is dominant, I don’t think so. Not without extraordinary measure, like poking your dominant eye out so the other one takes over 😳 😈

                              Stephen Graf
                              Moderator
                                Post count: 2434

                                Now you can bring your own deer home! Have fun, think, be safe!

                                Stephen Graf
                                Moderator
                                  Post count: 2434

                                  The bowyers bible set. 3Rivers Archery. What you ask is too broad a topic and impractical for a forum…

                                Viewing 15 posts - 2,251 through 2,265 (of 2,331 total)