Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
in reply to: Bow Season vs. Crossbows #37676
You make a valid observation. But I don’t think back then people could see clearly the consequences of allowing this new technology in. In hind sight it is clear…
But getting the average american worked up enough to defend anything of the natural world is next to impossible. Where is the outrage over the BP oil spill? Drive by a BP station lately? They should be abandoned, but business goes on as usual. The list of environmental, social, and human outrages is too long to list. How can the simple bow compete for attention when the entire ocean gets barely a yawn?
I spent an immeasurable amount of time in the past 2 years trying to stop the cross bow from coming to NC. We, the NCBA, were able to get a bill into our legislature to stop it. But the bill is languishing in committee. Likely never to see the light of day. And where is the outrage from NC bowhunters? It is nearly impossible to get them to send a letter to their legislators. And if they do, they likely support crossbows.
The world Aldo Leopold and Fred Bear knew and loved is fleeting fast. What will the world of our children be?
Oh yea, one more observation – some people (not me) think that fiber glass in bow limbs is the culprit of archery demise, not compound bows. Read Comstock’s book for a full discussion of that one.
in reply to: When The Compound Was Born… #37657I was but a wee bairn in those days. but I remember going to our county fair and seeing a booth with the bows in it. I got my nose above the counter and took a look. My eyes lit up!
I never had the chance to shoot a traditional bow as a kid. But When I could scrape enough cash together mowing lawns, and working the local farms, I bought a PSE and never looked back.
Only in my middle years did I take up the long bow. I took it up after I retired (at 39 😯 ) and had the time to really practice.
My observation is that the compound is emblematic of american society. Nobody has the time to become and stay proficient with a traditional bow because of the needs of daily life. With both adults working to pay the mortgage, and the kids in every kind of after school activity, it’s no wonder. Americans are drawn to shortcuts.
And it is only getting worse. Know how I know? The crossbow is now legal in 12 states and coming to my state of NC.
Sorry for sounding so pessimistic. But here is my answer : Less TV, more books, grow a garden, play with your kids instead of sending them to soccer.
in reply to: Instinctive Shooting: Practice Distances #37642Patrick,
What you are experiencing is only natural. A few shots at your normal range should zero you in again.
I don’t do much long range shooting. For me anything over 20 yds is long range. But what I do like to do is never take the same shot twice in a row.
Try an experiment where you shoot at 15 yds, then move back to 20 yds, then back to 15 then out to 25, etc. Never taking the same shot twice, even if you screw one up.
I find this helps to keep various ranges normalized in the old noggin.
in reply to: Brass insert preventing failure? #363803Rivers now sells an external footing for carbon shafts. It is made of aluminum and not very long. But for the price and simplicity, it might help.
They sell brass tubes at the hobby stores that come in a myriad of diameters. I keep planning on walking in there with my arrow and finding out which fits best. But I never get around to it.
in reply to: Micky's Fall freezer hunt video! #36368That video was good… just as good as the last time you posted it 🙂
in reply to: Target Panic #32797Hiram wrote: Yes, I can shoot 2 inch groups at 20 yards most of the time
Salooot! That is quite the boast. And my hat is off to you!
I have some data which plays to this subject. I can’t reveal the source of the data as it is confidential. (confidential data on shooting bows and arrows?, yes amazingly enough)
But if you believe me, then you might find it interesting: of 40 people shooting at a six inch circle (with a 2 inch dot in the middle), only 5 hit the circle at least 8 of 10 shots. And the best scores (4 of the 5 getting 8 hits) were 2 of those 8 in the 2 inch dot. These 40 people included a few top national shooters. The distance was 15 yds.
in reply to: 2 Blade double bevel and 3 blade vs single bevel #32779Alright boys, this topic seems to have moved into the FOC thing too. So I’ll add my observations / question on the topics.
This year I am going to use the Aboyer Wapiti head for the first time. It looks like a nice head and I have six sitting on the mantle ready to go.
My arrow’s are flying great with a 300 grain field tip. But I haven’t tried a heavier one cause I can’t find any. And I have to say it’s so big it’s starting to look pornographic out there on the end of my arrow… 😯
Anybody found heavier field tips?
in reply to: cascade bows #32772Mighty fine bow!
But I was wondering about that quiver attachment banjoworks. Can’t you get something that will attach at the limb bolt?
I just watched avatar with the kids and really enjoyed it. An action movie with at least a hint of something extra to make you think about it afterwards. We’re going to watch it again Sunday Night. (Mom’s gone for a week, so dad and the kids get to be a little bad)
I just hope they don’t ruin it by making Avatar II 😕 But if they do, I’ll watch it.
in reply to: Turbulators #31655George D. Stout wrote: …When an arrow is released from the string, there is significant air force applied to the friction side of feathers, so I would need to see a study with scientific base as to what the difference would be. In addition, what is the effect of turbulence on extra noise. I think it is interesting for discussion, but one of those things that is negligible as far as real world function goes…
George – you don’t need somebody to spoon feed you a study… you need a friend and you need to listen (to your arrow fly).
I used duct tape because it is cheap and easy to put on and take off. I wrapped it around once with a slight overlap. When I got a friend to shoot it for me along with some other arrows, the difference is sound was amazing.
I don’t really care to use a smaller fletch. But I do care about using a quiet fletch.
Ashby recommends using the pin stripe tape available at auto parts stores. I thought I might try shrink tubing from Lowes Electrical department. Get a snazzy pink or red or whatever color they have that will look good. Shrink it on and see what happens.
In less time than it takes to read this thread, a person could prove to themselves that the turbulator makes an arrow fly more quietly.
in reply to: Increasing Draw #23946The short answer is yes. The long answer is no.
The amount of work required to increase draw weight in a bow like your Super Mag is not balanced by the results. And the results would be ugly. By ugly I mean it would look ugly and would not perform well.
Ditto on the Kmag. I am not familiar with that bow, but when you shorten the limbs of any bow, the bow gets stiffer. Again, a lot of work for results that will probably be ugly.
If you want a short high poundage bow, best thing to do is go find one.
in reply to: Bow Season vs. Crossbows #21639Go back to page 1 of this thread and read my posts for the full story.
In short, the Wildlife Resource Commission of NC tried to do away with all primitive seasons in 2009. That’s right gun season from Sept 15 to Jan 1.
This was met with too much resistance. So they cut another week out of Bow season and gave it to muzzle loaders. Then they allowed cross bows in to what’s left of archery season.
Down east, Bow season is now 3 weeks long, while gun season is 12 weeks long.
in reply to: String Placement On Fingers #13900Patrick wrote: I know for certain the pain isn’t due to a poor release. I’m only asking because I have other issues with my hands. Steve, where does the string lie on your fingers, in the joint or pad?
I started out with the string on the last pad of my fingers. But found that I tended to crab my hand this way. So I started keeping the string in the first joint. Now I think what happens is I draw the string back to anchor, then I settle in. While I am settling in the string moves out of the joint and just onto the pad.
in reply to: IPad and Traditional Bowhunter #12828I spend a good part of my day with technical stuff. When I am relaxing, I want a real book / magazine in front of me. Not a screen.
But here’s my suggestion. Do a survey. It will be more accurate than a forum thread.
in reply to: String Placement On Fingers #12824When I get pain from releasing the string, it is mostly in my 3rd finger. My pain is the result of a sluggish release.
What I mean is that when I relax my hand at release, my fingers don’t turn into noodles fast enough. The string comes loose, but it drags on my fingers and gives a poor release.
So I was watching Roger Rothaar talk about his release. He didn’t say anything specifically about what I noticed, but he literally throws his fingers away from the string. Or so it appears to me.
So I tried it and liked it. When I release, I don’t relax my string hand. I throw my fingers away from the string. I know it sounds crazy but it works. And here’s a side benefit – It helps keep my bow hand under tension and following through.
Here’s the analogy. Remember as a kid patting your head and rubbing your stomach? Wasn’t it easier to pat your head and stomach? So for me, when I relaxed my string hand, my bow hand tended to relax. Now, since my string hand is not relaxing but being forced open by muscles, my bow hand stays under tension and follows through more reliably.
Back to Patrick’s point – when I feel finger pain, it reminds me that I am getting sloppy in my release again.
in reply to: Classified Section #11613Dave,
Would this Gregg Coffee be from Michigan by chance? Just curious. My inlaws are from Michigan and on a visit several years ago they gave me a brochure from “coffee archery”. A small enterprise at the time.
They wanted me to visit with him and share my “expertise” in the archery industry… oh how quickly one can go from an expert to a has-been 😯
-
AuthorPosts