Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
in reply to: Bow Season vs. Crossbows #10890
SteveMcD wrote: Truthfully, the Compound is no more a Bow than a crossbow is. A mechanical machine that launches an arrow.
It’s about function. The most basic definition of a bow used to hunt states that “a bow must be drawn and held by the hunter in the presence of game” By this definition of function, a crossbow is not a bow. But a compound is a bow.
Whether we like to admit it or not, a compound bow functions exactly like a traditional bow. The only real difference is that the draw curve looks different.
Speaking as a person who spent the last year working very hard to keep crossbows out of North Carolina and failing, I can tell you the writing is on the wall. I doubt very much there will be a primitive season at all in the next 10 years anywhere in the south.
It’s the same old story. When a country goes into decline, it looses respect for its resources. Deer are now seen as a pest with benefits. The state can earn income by selling licenses to decimate the pest population. You can always tell when the state falls on hard times here. People start to clear cuts their land to earn a few extra bucks so they can pay their property taxes.
Economic trouble aside, I don’t see a way to keep crossbows out of the archery season. And I don’t see a way of preserving the archery season in the future.
Archery is being marginalized in North Carolina. Maybe the benefit is that when there is no archery season, only the truly devoted will continue to hunt this way. We will return to the days dressing in green, smiling, and having fun.
After all it has been sung: “Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to loose!”
Enjoy your freedom boys!
in reply to: Drawn for Moose!!! #62853Where will you be hunting? Is it a split tag, meaning 2 or more guys hunt, 1 guy gets lucky?
I’ve shot a few moose, but never had a calf tag. Just bull or cow. I’ve not seen moose linger around after a shot. But you are right to not under estimate a mothers attentions toward her young. I would guess that a moose would fall somewhere between a deer doe and a bear sow. Probably closer to the doe.
But even if the cow shows no malice toward you, her size is enough to warrant attention.
You may find it more of a challenge to take a calf than is first thought…. Good luck.
in reply to: Opinions – What would you guys do? #61759You boys are depressing.
There must be some reason the two of you wanted to hunt together. Some connection of friendship? If there is no friendship between you, then why hunt together anyway?
If there is a friendship, then the next thing is compromise. Get some lama’s to help bring the stuff into camp. And as was said before, communicate. Work it out, or don’t.
There are many reasons to hunt. When I am hunting for food, I usually go alone. When I am hunting for fun, I usually do it with friends. It is a rare friend that you can hunt with for both food and fun. I have exactly 1 friend that meets both these criteria. But it took us 20 years of hunting to get to that place…
So decide what you want from this trip. Talk it out. Then do what you need to. Maybe you two should take this trip, or maybe you should start with deer or something else to get your hunting partnership warmed up…
in reply to: Anxious Dreams #58265Sounds like that regal beast has already given you 3 seasons of anticipation, purpose, and yes fun. This year he will be the true master of the wood. 8)
I hope this will be the year that the “Gods of the Woods will chuckle, and rub their hands together” for you!
But if they don’t, I know that it will not have been a waste of time or purpose.
Good luck to you… And good luck to master buck!
in reply to: Arrow Shelf location #53888Where the shelf is cut plays along with your limb length and tiller.
In order for the lower limb to be a little bit stronger than the top limb, it must be a bit shorter. One way to look at it would be to have your arrow shelf cut at the center of the riser, and then measure your limb length from the ends of the fadeout.
Another way to look at it would be to find the center of the bow, which usually falls in the grip area, and locate the arrow shelf somewhere above that point.
If you haven’t started working on the bow yet, you may want to check out bingham projects website. They have some informative video’s on building bows. Plans too.
Hunting the Osage Bow by Dean Torges has some good diagrams that help to explain the relationships between the grip and the limbs and tiller. But Dean doesn’t believe in arrow shelfs, so you won’t get specific help locating it from his book.
in reply to: Elk hunting tips #49511Weaving a bit off course…
I don’t have much experience with elk. I’ve taken a big bull and a tasty cow, and that’s it for elk. But for deer, I have some experience, and I think that calls are over rated in this case as well.
My experience is that I see many more deer when I don’t call than when I do. And most of the deer that come when I call are the wee young bucks that have more enthusiasm than sense.
If you want some fun calling in a big bruiser of a critter. Go moose hunting during the rut. Now there is an animal that will respond to calls. It’s like turkey hunting.
But on the whole, I have to say, that I much prefer hunting without calls, scents, gadgets, and gizmo’s. While I have been successful using calls on occasion. I don’t feel the exhilaration of the life struggle the same as when I go it alone.
in reply to: How many bowyers? #48399Thanks.
When I see an unexpected curve to a braced bow, I like to see where it came from. The bow seems to have fairly straight limbs when braced. It looks like when it is unbraced the reflex curve is concentrated in the middle of the limb. Are these observations true?
How does it shoot?
in reply to: How many bowyers? #47326Nice bows! I’d like to see the first one unstrung…
in reply to: brace ht 1965 Indian Archery recurve? #46158If everything else is the same. And the only difference is the string. Then the answer may be string material. If the old string was B-50 or some other polyester string, and the new one is fast flight or similar, then that would tend to make your arrows spine weaker.
Easy fix – add a little material to your side plate. Move the arrow out 1/16 inch. See what happens.
in reply to: Sapelo summer hog hunt! #46153The weather was great. I could smell fall in the air. What a great weekend to hunt pigs!
As with every thread on pigs, I have to say that I know people hate ’em. But I sure wouldn’t mind having some around to shoot at!
Thanks for the pictures.
in reply to: Last Year's Black Bear Skull #46138The lower jaws of most critters are made up of 2 bones that are “stitched” together. Like the various plates in the skull. You will see that joint on most animals. Ever wonder why you only ever find half a jawbone?
My few bruin skulls have this seam.
in reply to: Just finished the accents on my Selfbow #43776Nice! Now you need a green and black string… Or a black string with green silencers… Or a green string with black silencers…
Where did you get the waxed linen and how did you apply it? Is it glued on, stitched on, wrapped on…?
Can we get some close up pictures of the grip?
Thanks.
Could you pack any more into 1 paragraph?
I used the easton legacy arrows, so I can give you some feedback there. But everything depends on what you want. Do you want a cheaper arrow? Do you want the best and most accurate hunting arrow you can get?
Legacy arrows are cheaper than carbon arrows. And they tend to fly pretty well. But they won’t fly as well as carbon or penetrate as well. Or last as long.
If you want a cheaper alternative, then aluminum arrows are great. If you want the best arrow, better stick with carbon. And if you want to be as traditional as possible, well the only answer is wood.
in reply to: New intro video?! Tell me what ya think! #42689Nice Logo.
-
AuthorPosts