Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,681 through 1,695 (of 2,331 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Stephen Graf
    Moderator
      Post count: 2434

      I just got back this AM from a week of CO DIY hunting. All I have to show for it is blisters. No elk sighted, no elk heard. Well Done!

      Stephen Graf
      Moderator
        Post count: 2434
        in reply to: Found treasure #44493

        Nice job – not scratching off the bow poundage and id info when taking off the old finish!

        Stephen Graf
        Moderator
          Post count: 2434

          Don’t beat yourself up about it. It doesn’t help. The way I look at it is that if I met all my goals the first time, then traditional archery would be just as boring as compound shooting.

          Save it, and enjoy the idea of finally learning to shoot the straight bow well, for next year, or the year after…

          As others have said, it sounds to me like maybe the arrows are not matched to the bow, or some other technical problem.

          I have several “hill style” longbows with about 1 inch of string follow. I learned to shoot these bows in a summer. They are accurate easy bows to shoot, once you figure out how to grip them, and have good arrows. I found that if the arrows are not PERFECTLY spined for the bow, it won’t shoot consistently. But once you get PERFECTLY spined arrows, the bow will shoot great.

          Shoot some bare shafts. They will tell the tale.

          In the mean time, get a nice deer with the recurve, and have fun.

          I’m shuttin down the computer and toting my take down recurve in the suitcase to the airport now. Going to Colorado. Maybe I’ll get lucky on some poor confused 3 legged, 1 eye’d , deaf elk.

          Stephen Graf
          Moderator
            Post count: 2434
            in reply to: Bring it. #41086

            My gear is mostly packed, and I will be flying out to CO so I can hear it for myself, this weekend…

            Stephen Graf
            Moderator
              Post count: 2434

              J – nice story! My 12 year old girl is shooting with me and getting pretty good, but she isn’t interested in hunting (although she wants to go with me to see what it’s like this fall…)

              I’m on the fence about this whole issue 🙄 but if I could push a button and get rid of all pay-to-play outfits and insure the future of our public lands and democratic management model, I would. Nothing could stop me.

              Stephen Graf
              Moderator
                Post count: 2434

                A shot not taken is not regretted. Good call. I don’t know how you resisted, having come to full draw.

                Stephen Graf
                Moderator
                  Post count: 2434
                  in reply to: New String #34702

                  If the 2 strings are not exactly the same, and the brace height isn’t set the same, you will not get the same results.

                  Put the old string on and check:

                  -Brace height

                  -nock location

                  -silencer location

                  Make the new string like the old string and everything should be ok… When I get a string shooting really well, I record all that info on a sheet of paper for future reference.

                  Stephen Graf
                  Moderator
                    Post count: 2434

                    George,

                    It didn’t look like you canted the bow that much… Not perfectly vertical, but not much cant from looking at the little picture on my ‘puter.

                    you like elevated rests?

                    Stephen Graf
                    Moderator
                      Post count: 2434

                      Nice! I counted about 38 steps to the longest shot.

                      Stephen Graf
                      Moderator
                        Post count: 2434

                        Where’s the target practice scene? Good job, college boy.

                        Stephen Graf
                        Moderator
                          Post count: 2434

                          A little nock high isn’t bad. If you are hitting where you are looking, then it can’t be too much.

                          I have found that some bows just shoot that way. If you can’t get rid of it all, I wouldn’t worry on it too long.

                          Stephen Graf
                          Moderator
                            Post count: 2434

                            There have been a few threads on here where people have done build alongs for broadheads. Do a search on broadhead and I expect they will come up.

                            Stephen Graf
                            Moderator
                              Post count: 2434
                              in reply to: Monkey Tails #30150

                              Seems like a lot of money to spend when a bit of wool yarn will do the same thing…

                              Stephen Graf
                              Moderator
                                Post count: 2434

                                taterman wrote: ive been invited to grayson co. virginia was wondering if it was worth the time or not, is anyone familiar w/ the area?

                                I’ll answer your question with a question: Where you from? Are you going with friends?

                                VA is a beautiful state with lots of nice deer. If you haven’t hunted there, and you will be with friends, how could it not be worth it?

                                Stephen Graf
                                Moderator
                                  Post count: 2434

                                  Nice bow! When shooting a new bow, the best place to start is with bare shafts. I always keep a bare shaft around to shoot. That way, when I add silencers, or change strings, or adjust brace height, or whatever… I can shoot a bare shaft. Sometimes I shoot a bare shaft just to see that things are staying the same.

                                  Once you get a bare shaft flying straight, you are ready to start practicing with the bow.

                                  I wouldn’t mess with the rest just yet. Let the bare shaft tell you what to do.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,681 through 1,695 (of 2,331 total)