Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,666 through 1,680 (of 2,331 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Stephen Graf
    Moderator
      Post count: 2434
      in reply to: String Makers #20530

      I have used B50, as well as fast flight. I prefer fast flight because it is more durable and not so stiff.

      I like to see people starting to make their own strings. It is a pretty easy thing to do that saves money in the long run, and gives you a truly custom string for your bow.

      Aside from string material, you need to think about serving material, nock sets, and silencers.

      If you end up going with B50, then the $3.00 nylon serving is best because they last about the same amount of time. If you go with something more durable like fast flight, then I have found Brownell Halo serving to be very good.

      As you start to make your string, one of the first important considerations should be how your arrow nock will fit. I suggest taking a bundle of your string material and serving it to test with your arrow. No need to cut any material, or waste anything. Just lap the string material back and forth till you get a reasonable number of strands, then quickly serve it with 15 or 20 wraps. Test your arrow, adjust strands, and repeat as necessary. I have found that the different brand arrow nocks (gold tip, carbon express, etc…) need different sized strings to fit correctly. So once you settle on an arrow, write down the string strands/serving combo and you are good to go.

      For example, gold tip nocks work with 16 strands of fast flight and 0.024 Halo serving.

      And then there are your silencers. I have found that scraps of wool yarn from my wife makes the best silencers. So I always ask for green or brown socks 😀 and use the leftovers for my bow. Acrylic yarn sucks. So don’t fool with it.

      The problem with making your own strings is, your friends find out. So my advice is that you only make friends with people that drink the same beer you do. Otherwise, get used to drinking beer you don’t like 😯

      Have fun!

      Stephen Graf
      Moderator
        Post count: 2434
        in reply to: Look Up #13845

        3 days after a moon dog, it’s supposed to snow! Let us know…

        Stephen Graf
        Moderator
          Post count: 2434
          in reply to: Maybe a washout #12780

          Good luck Duncan! I went out last night in the pouring rain. Saw 3 doe way off… Got nothing for my troubles but wet.

          As always, if you want help dragging, give me a ring!

          Stephen Graf
          Moderator
            Post count: 2434

            tasty!

            Stephen Graf
            Moderator
              Post count: 2434
              in reply to: Scent Control #12773

              I keep my cloths in a tub with a sealed lid. I drop a package of those earth scent disks in it once a year. I wash the cloths maybe 3 times a season.

              I have some home made cedar oil spray that I spray on my hat and boots.

              Even if you are clean as a whistle, you still have to breath. And I think your breath does more to alert deer than anything else.

              In that vane, the more alert and excited you are, the more stink you give off in your breath. At least that’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.

              I’ve had deer walk almost over me when I was as stinky as could be. But each time it happened, I was totally relaxed (since I didn’t know the deer were coming). So I try to project a calm mind and body.

              The number one thing you can do, imho, is stop projecting killer thoughts. Be happy, and the deer will come.

              Stephen Graf
              Moderator
                Post count: 2434

                Yep. attach to the shaft or adapter with hot glue. At that point I just put the tip on the table and spin vertically. If it doesn’t spin true, slightly heat and rotate the head a bit. Don’t try to bend one way or the other. Just spin it a bit…

                No worries, it’s not too hard.

                Stephen Graf
                Moderator
                  Post count: 2434

                  Nice long nosed doe. The very best eating there is. I am glad someone else worries about feeding the wee wonders too. I wasn’t out, but I was down to 6 packs of burger when I got my first deer this year….

                  The wife was giving me that look, like if I didn’t come through, she was going to have to go to the store…

                  Stephen Graf
                  Moderator
                    Post count: 2434

                    I say don’t put yourself in that position in the first place. I don’t ever put myself close to a border that I can’t cross.

                    If you know a land owner doesn’t like hunting and won’t allow retrieval, hunt somewhere else… Why antagonize people? Why put yourself under extra stress? Why dishonor the deer by potentially leaving it lay longer than it should?

                    Stephen Graf
                    Moderator
                      Post count: 2434

                      I’m on my 3rd hat. I wear a straw hat in summer though… NC way too hot for a felt hat in winter. Even so, I get only about 10 years out of one…

                      Not to add a commercial aspect to this fine sentiment, but the last hat I got was from 3Rivers about 6 years ago. And it still looks perfect (made in america!). It’s the best one I have. Way better than the ones I got from LL Bean…

                      Stephen Graf
                      Moderator
                      Moderator
                        Post count: 2434

                        TBMADMIN wrote: … They do work very hard for that club, as do all the folks there. We really enjoyed our visit to NC a few years ago. Please tell them hello from Robin and T.J. 😀

                        Will do!

                        Stephen Graf
                        Moderator
                        Moderator
                          Post count: 2434

                          cyberscout wrote: very nice ! what woods?

                          Scout

                          Poplar, Juniper, and osage…

                          Stephen Graf
                          Moderator
                          Moderator
                            Post count: 2434

                            TBMADMIN wrote: Ramon? Best wishes for a speedy recovery, no matter who it is. The walking stick is beautiful!

                            Yes Ramon. I didn’t mean to leave his name out… Wow, you must know everybody 😯

                            Stephen Graf
                            Moderator
                              Post count: 2434

                              Nice Story! Fix your nocks. Changed nocks a “couple of days before” and hadn’t target practiced at all since then???? Better hit the bails more. Saves all kinds of trouble…

                              Stephen Graf
                              Moderator
                                Post count: 2434

                                Fall Bear! Keep the fat! I would love to get a fall bear and learn to use bear fat.

                                Good Job!

                                Stephen Graf
                                Moderator
                                  Post count: 2434

                                  Put some good oak on the fire, tuck the good kids into bed, sip some good whiskey, and watch the good hunt. That would be a good day.

                                  Good luck!

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,666 through 1,680 (of 2,331 total)