Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,606 through 1,620 (of 2,331 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Stephen Graf
    Moderator
      Post count: 2434
      in reply to: Antler Hunting #24655

      Duncan,

      I know the rodents eat them… But I can’t believe they are so hungry for calcium that they eat ’em all 😯

      I like finding a bone or a shed up in a tree. Those squirrels like to take them up and chew where they have a view.

      This last season I was walking through the woods and noticed a leg bone up in a tree at head height. Then a few days later I saw the same bone in another tree. Then a few days later I saw it in yet another tree. Was it the same squirrel moving it around? A squirrel fight? Just the funny soap opera of life in the woods I guess. I should have sat there and watched the days of our lives play out…

      Stephen Graf
      Moderator
        Post count: 2434
        in reply to: Silencers #24645

        I use the silencers as a final tuning step for my arrows.

        Keep the silencers close to the tips (where they don’t affect arrow speed so much). Then bareshaft tune an arrow. Move the silencers up (to weaken the shaft) and down (to stiffen the staff) to achieve perfect arrow flight.

        Grasshopper say: “Perfect arrow flight is perfect efficiency”

        Stephen Graf
        Moderator
          Post count: 2434
          in reply to: Antler Hunting #23561

          Well since nobody who knows anything is going to chime in here, I guess I’ll chime in since I don’t know anything much about it…

          Down here in NC you don’t find too many sheds. I don’t know why that is, except that maybe most of the antlered bucks are shot out each year since the seasons are so long and there is little deer management.

          Out west is another story. Almost every time I have walked around I have found a shed or two. So that I don’t even bother to pick some of them up.

          Down here the deer start losing their antlers about now. I usually start looking for them the 1st week in Feb. We’ve lived on our place for 7 seasons now, and I have found but 1 6 pt shed.

          Good luck!

          Stephen Graf
          Moderator
            Post count: 2434

            Nice words all…

            And this is my favorite time of the year to just walk around in the woods. No agenda (scouting), just enjoying the woods, and shooting some practice arrows, and maybe catching a squirrel unawares.

            And lucky for us, it may snow tonight. What used to be commonplace weather has become a novelty over the last decade. Can’t wait to see the woods all dressed up!

            Stephen Graf
            Moderator
              Post count: 2434

              David Petersen wrote: Alex — …Has anyone here used these? Alas, they’re as black as my heart on a dark night…

              I’ve used the Gold Tip Entrada shafts with a 50lb longbow and a 56lb recurve. These are the 600 spine arrows, and I am using 250 and 300 grain heads on them. Which seems crazy. But they fly well. I have not used them for hunting yet.

              These shafts are about 5 grains per inch, and make a super efoc setup. I figure that’s why the low spine works on my bow weights. I expect the higher spine versions would probably be better in the end though…

              Stephen Graf
              Moderator
              Moderator
                Post count: 2434

                I didn’t start bending inserts till I started using high FOC arrows. So I can confirm that observation. And I have bent both 75 grain and 125 grain inserts. Oddly enough, the broadhead hasn’t been bent or damaged… Just the insert.

                As far has oil tempering the steel goes, that would tend to soften it. The steel should be quenched rapidly to create the carbonized martensite crystalline structure. then the steel can be tempered in oil to relieve internal stresses and decrease brittleness. But all that is just crap without knowing the chemical makeup of the steel. Shooting in the dark, as they say.

                I have had at least 1 arrow insert bend form simply shooting it into the ground (sorry mister squirrel 🙄 ). No rocks, no bones, no logs. Just dirt.

                It is common practice to heat treat parts after machining though. So somehow, the manufacturer could be contacted to convey these problems. It should be an easy fix to get them batch treated after machining.

                Stephen Graf
                Moderator
                  Post count: 2434

                  Very nice! There’s something about a nice long long bow. I’ve been stuck in the 68 inch range the last few years. let us know how it shoots!

                  Stephen Graf
                  Moderator
                    Post count: 2434

                    I like the sound of the deer coming close. The sweetest sound ever… Of course the sound of the bow was good too!

                    Stephen Graf
                    Moderator
                      Post count: 2434
                      in reply to: need some help #17946

                      If nothing has changed with your bow setup and arrow, then the next thing to look at is form.

                      You might not be following through with your bow hand. As you shoot the arrow, you must maintain forward pressure on the grip. Push the arrow all the way to the target, as they say.

                      Another possibility is that you might be gripping the riser too tightly. Make sure you have a loose grip.

                      Another possibility is plucking the string when releasing. Make sure you have a good grip on the string, and a solid anchor. You may be crabbing the string with your release hand. This means your release hand is not relaxed. Try to make sure that your fingers have a deep grip on the string, and the rest of your hand/arm are relaxed.

                      The thing with traditional archery is that no matter how much you shoot, or how good you are, you must always be checking your form. It is human nature to get sloppy over time.

                      And no matter what, just have fun with it.

                      Stephen Graf
                      Moderator
                        Post count: 2434

                        Not much meat in a deer heart. I would think it best to save up 3 or 4 and do a batch… Sounds like I’ve got something better to do with the hearts next year than just make mustard sandwiches! Thanks for the recipe 😀

                        Stephen Graf
                        Moderator
                          Post count: 2434
                          in reply to: DVD ideas??? #16804

                          I’ve been pretty disappointed by “adventure” video’s, save the fred bear series.

                          I haven’t tried some of the other oldies, but that would be my inclination.

                          I know you said you weren’t interested in instructional video’s, but “Hunting the Bamboo Backed Bow” is one I have watched many times. Dean Torges seems like he would be an interesting guy to get to know.

                          Stephen Graf
                          Moderator
                            Post count: 2434
                            in reply to: Ancient canyon #16799

                            What is a metate? Looks like petrified cow dung to me 😯

                            Stephen Graf
                            Moderator
                            Moderator
                              Post count: 2434
                              in reply to: First Piggy #15744

                              skifrk wrote: Steve cool looking pig how was the weather for the hunt? When I went to Kauai in Aug. it was so hot I could not think about hunting in the jungle.

                              Down by the ocean it was hot. But the higher you go, the colder it got. The top of the mountain has snow on it most of the year. It didn’t get out of the 50’s at the altitude I was hunting.

                              Stephen Graf
                              Moderator
                                Post count: 2434
                                in reply to: Ancient Edges #15723

                                I would guess the Pleistocene looks a lot better from here, than it did from there. And I would continue to surmise that if a fellow from that period looked at how hard we work to use bows instead of guns, he’d have a low opinion of us pilgrims.

                                But where is the fun if we can’t romanticize some time and place? Who really cares what the truth is. What’s important is how it makes us feel, and how it helps us improve ourselves and place ourselves in the human story.

                                And as for the point. It was made by man for some purpose related to getting food. There is no further purpose built into it, and there is no further knowledge to be gained from it. Around here it takes only a few hours effort to find another like it. So I see no reason not to put it to task. It has no intrinsic value other than that which we attribute to it.

                                And as for the bow, well I just happen to have a piece of ERC in my shop that came from a tree no more than 100 yds from where the point was picked up. And just as Dave thought it would be appropriate to use a local bow to shoot a local point, I was thinking the same. In fact, the cane is local too, as are the turkey feathers. I guess if I was to take it all the way, I should use a squirrel skin string on the bow.

                                Now if only a deer would cooperate and make these fantasies anything but the dreams they are. I would surly thank that deer. My guess is that deer ain’t been born yet 😳

                                Stephen Graf
                                Moderator
                                Moderator
                                  Post count: 2434

                                  Joe – I think you are onto something. It shouldn’t be too hard to get them hardened. I might even try that with some I have around. Shouldn’t be too hard. Unless the carbon content is just too low.

                                  If you make some hardened ones, I’ll buy them from you. I would guess that if you targeted the same hardness as your broadheads, 52 rockwell? That will provide the strength without potential to break from brittleness.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,606 through 1,620 (of 2,331 total)