Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,546 through 1,560 (of 2,331 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Stephen Graf
    Moderator
      Post count: 2434

      If you are hunting with a group, it can’t be just about the meat. So share freely with your camp mates and don’t begrudge it.

      But as far as sharing after the communal hunt, that’s up to you. There is no obligation.

      For myself, I take care of the freezer solo. Then I am free to enjoy my friends (few though they may be) when we get together for a week of “hunting”. I usually don’t plan for the meat to come home, i.e. I don’t bring coolers. I let the others have the meat.

      That said, my best trip with friends as far as meat goes… was an archery hunt in Quebec for moose. Five of us hunted together and we got 3 big moose. I had to buy 5ea 100 qt coolers to get my share home. Oh, that was good. Usually I have to subsist on our scrawny carolina “deer”. But I have grown to love my backyard deer. They are always there to feed my family. Who could ask more? Such Faithfulness and Sacrifice!

      Stephen Graf
      Moderator
        Post count: 2434
        in reply to: woodies 101 #41597

        Dave – the saw is called a wire saw. They are usually impregnated with carbide or diamond dust, and run about 40 bucks.

        I saw a real nice self nock that was made by first drilling an eight inch (or so) hole at the back of the nock, and then cutting to it with a bandsaw or hacksaw or whatever. What this did was give a round bottom to the hole, and that lovely “click” and stay which makes plastic nocks hard to beat.

        Just have to make sure the throat of the nock is narrower than the hole at the base…

        Stephen Graf
        Moderator
          Post count: 2434

          Very nice Troy! Are the limb cores black locust too? Black Locust is supposed to make a good self bow. But I thought it might be a tad heavy for a recurve limb.

          You’ve made a mess-a-bows this year. I thought you were retired…

          Have fun shooting it!

          Stephen Graf
          Moderator
            Post count: 2434
            in reply to: On The Wild Edge #37787

            I read On the Wild Edge to the kids. It reads even better out loud than just to yourself.

            We deny the little poopers (teenagers now…) the plug-in-drug as well as all the wireless-drugs. We’ll see what happens as they get older, but for now they don’t seem to miss them much.

            Stephen Graf
            Moderator
              Post count: 2434
              in reply to: Kidney Stones #36537

              Thankfully I cannot feel your pain.

              I know people who suffer from them though. From my dad who almost died from his, to a fellow I stump with all the time who treats his repeated stones like just another headache.

              I know there are geographical, food, sex, and genetic correlations. Can’t do much about the last two, but maybe changing something about the first two might help?

              Good luck, and drink lots of water!

              Stephen Graf
              Moderator
                Post count: 2434
                in reply to: Stumpin' #36530

                Stumping is by far my favorite way to spend time shooting. I never thought about taking pictures of my quarry though…

                Maybe I’ll start! I remember this awesome 12 pt, I mean oz mountain-do can that almost got away,… but didn’t.

                Stephen Graf
                Moderator
                  Post count: 2434
                  in reply to: Target backstop #30647

                  I googled “celotex” and got a superfund cleanup site, a brownfield cleanup site, a mesothelioma lawsuit and an asbestus warning.

                  What the heck kind of insulation is it?

                  Incidentally, I tried the backstop cloth that kustom king sells and it didn’t even slow down my arrows. I sent it back.

                  Stephen Graf
                  Moderator
                    Post count: 2434
                    in reply to: Accuracy #24118

                    Not knowing what you define as the kill zone, I have to just go by what I think of as a kill zone, which is about a 3 inch circle. Keeping 9 out of 10 arrows in a 3 inch circle at 30 yds is quite a feat. Salute!

                    We also have to guess at how you are aiming. If you are using some sort of split vision or gap shooting method, then the 15/30 yd correlation is not surprising as for most setups, your arrow will be in the same place at those distances. At 15 yds it’s going up, at 30 yds it’s coming down…

                    Stephen Graf
                    Moderator
                      Post count: 2434
                      in reply to: English Longbow #15154

                      I was waiting for some more information on the difference between the straight limbed and recurved longbows. He made a big deal about having that special one built, and then we never heard just how much better it was. maybe it wasn’t.

                      Stephen Graf
                      Moderator
                        Post count: 2434
                        in reply to: Spalted Maple Bow #12912

                        Nice group too! 8 bows in a few months is a lot of bows…

                        Stephen Graf
                        Moderator
                          Post count: 2434

                          I thought you were a rifle man. Glad to see you’re getting more serious about your bow. TR would be proud. Welcome.

                          Stephen Graf
                          Moderator
                            Post count: 2434

                            What? What? The story stopped just as he was getting going. He called his work a bow, but I think he was making a form. Where’s the rest of the story?

                            That Japanese rasp looks interesting. I’ll have to check that out.

                            Stephen Graf
                            Moderator
                              Post count: 2434

                              What J Said. He beat me to it. If you read Blacky’s reports, you will notice that a lot of the bows that claim to be the fastest, are really quite average.

                              And for me, it’s not the speed number that’s so important as the efficiency number. This number tells you what percentage of the energy you put into the bow, actually comes out.

                              In my experience, the more efficient the bow, the quieter, more forgiving and better shooting a bow is.

                              Although I’ve never owned one, bob lee’s come up a lot as efficient fast bows.

                              Stephen Graf
                              Moderator
                                Post count: 2434
                                in reply to: Matter of Balance #63713

                                The balance took care of itself (as evidenced by the fact that he could walk away from it…). What was really amazing to me was the strength and firmness of grip. Any tremors would have toppled the thing.

                                How did they keep the air on the stage from moving with all the lights?

                                That dude’s handshake could probably pinch your arm off.

                                Stephen Graf
                                Moderator
                                  Post count: 2434
                                  in reply to: Armguards #47127

                                  I forgot my custom made armguard in Hawaii this year. Not worth shipping it back, so it now rides on the arm of a local.

                                  I too have left the house without my bow. It’s happened twice and is a recent development. And I hunted the entire week in CO this year without my knife or game bags. Not that I ended up needing them. They spent the week warm and dry in the tent.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,546 through 1,560 (of 2,331 total)