Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
in reply to: Accuracy Questions #48644
If you are talking about carbon or aluminum arrows, then you are looking for trouble where none exists. I doubt there is a carbon or aluminum arrow out there that could give a normal person any trouble, accuracy wise.
If you are talking organic arrows, that’s another can-o-worms. But if you are talking organic arrows, then you must be willing to live with them. buy a bunch (way more than you need), cull the ones that don’t suit you and hide the rest in the back of the shed where your wife won’t find them 😯
in reply to: oak shafts #47677Those are some mighty fine looking arrows! In fact, I’d say they look Oak K to me 😳
in reply to: ATVs on public lands #47052If only OHV’s were the only way humanity expressed its collective… shamelessness 🙁
in reply to: Adhesive for tip inserts/carbon #33635Just 2 things to add:
– Broadhead alignment on carbon arrows is done by rotating the broadhead on the broadhead insert (which is best installed using hot glue). Just warm it up and twist clockwise till you get what you want.
– Score the inside of the carbon shaft before gluing. I use a piece of 60 grit sandpaper wrapped around a small screwdriver. Insert and rotate.
– I have found the gorilla glue brand super glue works well and is cheap enough. I have also used bohning’s “insert iron” which works great except that the bottle goes bad way before it is used up.
in reply to: Purple Heart shafts? #31433Hexshafts seem very interesting to me. I’ve not tried them because they are heavy. But you might like ’em.
http://www.hexshaftarrows.com/
If they were made of a lighter wood, now that would be the ticket…
in reply to: Show and Tell #31424Shelf paper wraps – that sounds good.
Another cheap option that works well for me is White Lacquer. I have tried various white spray paints with poor results. But White Lacquer in a spray bottle works great. And just 1 coat will do (although 2 coats makes it really nice). A $4 can will last many dozen arrows.
in reply to: Purple Heart shafts? #30362I would think that is too heavy and expensive to make entire shafts from. But Purple Heart footings… Now that’s a different story.
in reply to: Show and Tell #30339Nice bow too! I like to see people making their own bows.
How do you like those poplar arrows? I was thinking of trying to make some laminated arrows in the same spirit as how a fly rod is made using poplar…
in reply to: Critter Stories #28187Those turkeys are crazy this time of year.
We’ve seen turkeys every day for the last 5 days or so. On Sunday I was puttering in the garden and a gobbler came out of the woods and started strutting right there in the yard. I could have whacked his head off with the hoe. I wonder if that would have been a “traditional” kill?
in reply to: Thanks, Dave! #28181Well, I have no wise words. But I can imagine the relief, and add to that springtime and turkey hunting…
Take a walk with Caroline and the boys (whichever ones these days) and breath in the glory of life!
Looking forward to whatever the new writing produces…
in reply to: Breeding move over — the Incinerator is here! #18635Holy S^&#$%#TTT!! 😯 😯
in reply to: Calling All Boyers #18628How you hold the string is important to determining tiller.
I shoot 3 fingers under and find even tiller is best. Those that shoot split fingers usually find a slight positive tiller is best.
Positive tiller means the lower limb is “stronger” and the string is closer to the lower limb than the upper limb.
As Clay says, when in doubt, start over. If it was me, I’d even up the limbs and see what happens. Then loosen the bolt on the top limb a tad if need be. – shoot a bare shaft to see how the arrow is flying as you make your adjustments. A fletched shaft doesn’t tell many tales.
in reply to: Arrow tuning #18623Sorry for the late response Troy. But to answer your question, I don’t think it has any effect at all. I’ve killed a mess of squirrels, a few rabbits, and a fair number of ground hogs with ’em.
The ground hogs are kicking my butt this year though… I was thinking of switching the washer out for a piece of carrot.
in reply to: fletching tape #18617I’ve never used tape. But I have had arrows made for me that were taped. They lasted just fine.
I would switch to tape, except I use a jojan fletcher and there would be no point to it – tape really shines when using a single arrow fletcher.
Seems like tape is more expensive than glue though. And I can use my glue for stuff besides arrows…
If I had it to do over again, I might start out using tape.
-
AuthorPosts