Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,651 through 1,665 (of 2,331 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Stephen Graf
    Moderator
      Post count: 2434

      And… Don’t think of your bow as a gun. It’s a totally different bird. Which means you have to learn to hunt in a different way. Getting close, planning your shot, staying invisible… There will be no need to hold your bow at full draw.

      And, as has been said, you have a really heavy bow. At least for most people. That may be why your dad never got into it. If you got a 45 lb bow to start with, your dad may even get interested. it’s a totally different (and better) experience to shoot a comfortable bow.

      Enjoy the flight of the arrow. You have picked some good books to read.

      Stephen Graf
      Moderator
        Post count: 2434

        Beautiful Day and beautiful deer!

        Blood will crack off the grip and attract bugs. Better stick with oil… 🙄

        Stephen Graf
        Moderator
          Post count: 2434
          in reply to: My new longbow #13117

          I like the double curvy thing on the maple handle.

          What limb thickness taper are you using?

          Stephen Graf
          Moderator
            Post count: 2434

            Hay! I saw some panning and zooming when you were going after that squirrel you pegged… Was a buck running the camera?

            Nice squirrel, Nice deer, nice video. Good job!

            Stephen Graf
            Moderator
              Post count: 2434
              in reply to: The Election Buck #57351

              Great pictures. I can tell it was a fantastic day to be alive! Good job.

              Stephen Graf
              Moderator
                Post count: 2434
                in reply to: First Archery Deer #57348

                There is nothing better, or harder to come by, then a little doe. Strong work.

                Stephen Graf
                Moderator
                  Post count: 2434

                  Most righties, including myself seem to shoot left wing feathers. Since turkeys seem to come with both left and right wings, being a right wing guy gives you more opportunities for trades…

                  I have some right wing feathers… Anybody want to trade for some left wing feathers?

                  Stephen Graf
                  Moderator
                    Post count: 2434
                    in reply to: Scrappy one down #54899

                    Staying out in the rain and cold always seem to pay off. Tasty looking deer. Congrats!

                    Stephen Graf
                    Moderator
                      Post count: 2434

                      Very nice! Just need to get some oil from your hand on it to darken it up. Won’t take long…

                      Stephen Graf
                      Moderator
                        Post count: 2434
                        in reply to: Hardwood shafts? #43671

                        I wonder if your artificial sinew is the kind with wax on it. If so, that will interfere with it bonding to the epoxy.

                        Stephen Graf
                        Moderator
                          Post count: 2434
                          in reply to: Hardwood shafts? #40243

                          I like the idea of wrapping the shaft! It would be tough to prove how it might hold up. But I sure would like to hear how it goes.

                          Stephen Graf
                          Moderator
                            Post count: 2434
                            in reply to: Hardwood shafts? #38909

                            David Petersen wrote: For those of you experienced with Smooth-On epoxy adhesive — I’m wondering about dipping shafts to a depth of 4″ behind the head. It would add a bit of weight but not much, but I’m wondering if it would be strong enough to keep the shaft from breaking at this stress point?

                            I doubt it. If you got it thick enough maybe, but a thin coat not likely. Of all the things I’ve heard people try, putting an aluminum collar over the shaft seems like the best method.

                            Anything but a footed shaft seems to sully the noble wood arrow imho. It is what it is, and any attempt to make it other than it is, seems counter productive to me. Lipstick on a pig I think is the popular phrase these days.

                            Just my opinion.

                            Stephen Graf
                            Moderator
                              Post count: 2434
                              in reply to: Hardwood shafts? #35098

                              You beat me to it Dave. After reading your post on the breaking shaft, I thought about it for a day and was going to get on here and suggest that 1 data point is not enough to base a decision on (if only everybody knew and understood this important idea). I am glad you came to it yourself.

                              I have had more than 1 carbon arrow “sheered off” passing through a deer. So unexplained failure is not unique to wood…

                              Regarding whitetail deer hunting, and for what it’s worth, I found that a setup that resulted in less than 160 fps arrow velocity usually resulted in missed deer. I have found that keeping my shots under 20 yds and arrow velocity above 160 fps puts meat on the table. This observation was made while playing with efoc arrows as my grains per pound increased from 10 up to 12, 14,15, etc… I found if I got much above 12 gpp, my arrow speeds started getting too slow. I flat out missed 4 doe as they easily dodged my arrow.

                              Hasn’t happened since I adjusted my setup to allow greater speed. I know this is probably EFOC Heresy to suggest that arrow speed is important. But that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

                              Good luck with those deer!

                              Stephen Graf
                              Moderator
                                Post count: 2434
                                in reply to: Patience furthers #30514

                                Well, now that you went and shot the first elk you seen, what you gonna do now?

                                I’m glad you have made meat. The days will be crisper and brighter now!

                                Stephen Graf
                                Moderator
                                  Post count: 2434

                                  Aside from the dubious nature of the product, I see health consequences…

                                  Why would anyone intentionally expose themselves to a concentrated field of lung irritating, cancer causing, chemically oxidizing ozone for hours and days on end?

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,651 through 1,665 (of 2,331 total)