Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,086 through 2,100 (of 2,331 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Stephen Graf
    Moderator
      Post count: 2434

      about 1/2 inch at the tip. About 1 1/8 at the fadeout.

      Stephen Graf
      Moderator
        Post count: 2434

        I used CX Heritage shafts for several years and was happy with them. But I found that Gold Tip Arrows flew better for me. I attributed it to the fact that they are lighter and so they achieve better FOC.

        The CX shafts are definitely tougher though…

        Stephen Graf
        Moderator
          Post count: 2434
          in reply to: HELP WITH CARBONS? #39662

          To achieve the greatest EFOC, it is important to use the lightest shaft you can. CX shafts are heavier than goldtips. My personal experience is that gold tips fly better too. First thing to do is look around for the lightest shaft you can find. Then load up the front.

          I have found that as you get more weight up front, the spine gets less critical. My anecdotal experience is that when the FOC is in the normal 11 to 13% range, my arrows flew better when they were stiffer. As I went to heavier points and more FOC, the arrows flew better weaker.

          If you use a 175 grain point, 125 grain point insert, 100 grain arrow insert that gives 400 grains up front. An arrow will weight about 350 grains, so that is 750 grains total with a good FOC.

          Stephen Graf
          Moderator
            Post count: 2434

            I’ve been using a cedar oil spray the last few years and it seems to work well. 1 part oil, 9 parts water, and a dash of ivory dish soap. Put it in a spray bottle and shake. The cedar smell lasts for days between spraying. Very cheap too.

            We have a lot of red cedar around here, so it blends in. If you don’t have cedars around, probably not a good idea…

            Stephen Graf
            Moderator
              Post count: 2434

              I made a reflex/deflex hickory bow in this way. I used 4 laminations of hickory, and a belly of bamboo. It required very little tillering and shot well.

              Unfortunately I got impatient with the weight and narrowed the limbs too much. The bow settled out at 39 lbs.

              I have shot it a lot and it has held up well, just not good enough for hunting…

              Hickory takes a while to settle out. So be patient with it and a laminated design should work just fine.

              Stephen Graf
              Moderator
                Post count: 2434

                check out bingham projects. They have all the stuff you need to make a bow, and video’s showing the process. – fiberglass backed bows that is…

                Stephen Graf
                Moderator
                  Post count: 2434

                  Grasshopper say, Whitetail not foolish. Hunter foolish. 😯

                  Stephen Graf
                  Moderator
                    Post count: 2434

                    You can probably just shoot of the flat shelf just fine. But if you want to get fancy, you can add a little elevation under the bear hair. A small piece of leather can be used to make a high point for the arrow to ride on. Place it over the deepest part of the grip.

                    Some folks do the same with the side plate. The idea being the less contact with the arrow, the less effect from hand torquing.

                    Stephen Graf
                    Moderator
                    Moderator
                      Post count: 2434
                      in reply to: The Silent Arrow #26752

                      Dr. Ed Ashby wrote:

                      Here’s something you might try, just for interest. Set up some identical arrows with fletching of the same pattern and size, except for the shape of the fletching’s trailing edge. Try several trailing edge profiles; rounded, V-shaped; straight taper to the rear; shield cut and square cut. … The difference in the audible sound level is astonishing.
                      Ed

                      Will do… after hunting season!!

                      Stephen Graf
                      Moderator
                      Moderator
                        Post count: 2434
                        in reply to: The Silent Arrow #26750

                        Ireland wrote:
                        Steve,

                        Thank you so much for taking the time post the update above. I “missed it” the first time around. What a great idea and what a pleasure to find something that didn’t cost me hundreds of dollars to try. Can’t wait to go out and do some shooting with my new turbulator arrows!

                        Ireland

                        Your welcome! Although I can’t take credit for the turbulator, it was fun to find something to do that didn’t cost much, as you say…

                        So far no luck for me this year… But I have a friend that I have tutored over the last 3 years. He is using the arrows as described and has finally shot his first 2 deer with them this year 😛 He reports that the deer “didn’t jump like they did last year” So I think it is worth the effort…

                        Stephen Graf
                        Moderator
                          Post count: 2434

                          Why not a little polyurethane? Or a dab of Tru-Oil? Anything you have around the house should work.

                          The super glue is good for holding down splinters and such. So don’t hesitate to use it to fix any minor defects of that nature…

                          Stephen Graf
                          Moderator
                            Post count: 2434
                            in reply to: Helix broadheads #25678

                            Some of the claims are just goofy. It looks like a cross between an ashby head, and a Simmons Shark.

                            This is a product that was spawned from a Sales Rep Brain Storming session. The reps meet with the manufacturer and come up with a product that has all the features the sales reps have been hearing about. This keeps the reps “earning” their commission.

                            They combined:
                            – Simmons Shark – long time favorite, oft imitated
                            – Red Talon – first to claim front steering
                            – Single Edge – “I keep hearing about single edge, why? I
                            don’t know… maybe it helps it fly better? Yea, Yea
                            that’s it steering from the front!!!!”
                            – Sales Rep Ideas – Greater inertia from front steering,
                            Bone breaking thickness, cheap aluminum ferrel, sharpen
                            the backside. I know we can sell ’em!

                            In the end, I’m sure they work fine on a rib shot. I would hate to see them hit a spine or leg bone, that hard angle is a sure bet to get hung up in my opinion…

                            Stephen Graf
                            Moderator
                              Post count: 2434

                              The last remaining population of the Eastern Red Wolf is in North Carolina. The accepted explanation for the demise of the red wolf (aside from man of course) is interbreeding with the coyote.

                              This might explain why the eastern Coyote is bigger than it’s western brother. Maybe the Algonquin Wolf = Eastern Red Wolf?

                              I have watched them mouse in the fields. And I have listened as a pack ran a deer down in a gully. I know they were successful because of the bleating I heard at the end… But They keep themselves scarce. They don’t sing much and I have never seen them while hunting around here.

                              But out west, I have seen coyote every time I have hunted in Colorado, Idaho, Indiana… I watched them attack a downed buck that was arrowed just a few minutes earlier. I’ve heard that they circle hunters that are field dressing deer.

                              Western Coyote seem much more aggressive than eastern Coyote. Maybe that will save the Eastern Coyote from the overall negative impression their Western brothers have….

                              Stephen Graf
                              Moderator
                                Post count: 2434

                                Tom,

                                It sounds like you are interested in making all wood bows. If this is the case, I would encourage you to take a class from a bowyer. There are several self bow makers that offer classes. I wish I had done that before spending soooo much time on firewood as you say…

                                There are different styles of self bows. There are also backed bows. Figure out what you are interested in before committing to a class and talk to the bowyer about what you want.

                                Dean Torgues made a nice video on bamboo backed bows which is great to watch. He also wrote an enjoyable book on osage self bows. Both are good sources of knowledge.

                                I think the cost of a class is well worth it. Frustration sucks. And chances are you will make some friends in the process…

                                Good luck!

                                Stephen Graf
                                Moderator
                                  Post count: 2434

                                  Duncan – you said you used contact cement… How did you apply the skins, and did you put a finish over them?

                                  It looks very nice!

                                Viewing 15 posts - 2,086 through 2,100 (of 2,331 total)