Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 2,331 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Stephen Graf
    Moderator
    Moderator
      Post count: 2434
      in reply to: Beach Bows #63597

      Well the beach was crazy hot and humid. I came out in the morning and evenings, but stayed under my rock during the day. Got a bunch of reading done, and had fun making bows with the nephews and a few other kids.

      Continuing the long tradition of archery mischief started in the days of robin hood, we made bows where we shouldn’t have, painted them where we shouldn’t have, and shot them where we shouldn’t have. What fun!

      After all was said and done, there was only minor damage to the fence 🙄 from a few missed shots. Each kid went home with a bow, a half dozen arrows, armguard and glove.

      attached fileattached fileattached fileattached fileattached file
      Stephen Graf
      Moderator
        Post count: 2434
        in reply to: What ya got goin? #61185

        Good Shot R2! At least it’s just chiggers eating on you and not worms or buzzards 😯

        Stephen Graf
        Moderator
          Post count: 2434

          We quit planting corn in the garden ’cause o the coons. Just when it was getting ready to pick, they’d have a party and we’d get none of it. Them midnight bandits are hard to beat.

          Stephen Graf
          Moderator
            Post count: 2434

            I’ve been trying to get my cost / arrow down some too. This year I am going to use Tusker Concord Broadheads as they are the cheapest heads I’ve found so far. There are always tradeoffs though….

            In the plus column:

            – Sharpen well

            – Appear to be strong

            – Pretty easy to get spinning without wobble

            – Cheap.

            In the minus column:

            – Almost no edge ground in. You have to do it yourself

            – Cheap oxide finish that rusts easily

            – Ferrel is not as round as it should be. Makes mounting a little tougher to get straight.

            The real beauty of these things is when I see that arrow disappear into the bush, I won’t worry about it 😀

            http://www.braveheartarchery.us/tusker_broadheads.htm

            The best high end broadheads I’ve used are Abowyers.

            Stephen Graf
            Moderator
              Post count: 2434

              Duncan,

              Long time no hear! Good to see your still kicking around. I, like you, am happy to pick my vegetables when they are on the vine, or in the fur. Either way works 😀

              Stephen Graf
              Moderator
                Post count: 2434

                Ptaylor wrote: … When I make stews I like to use the often “forgotten” roots like turnip, rutabaga, celery root, and parsnip. They add a great flavor.

                We started growing Daikon Radishes the last couple years as an alternative to rutabaga. Rutabaga is temperamental around here and takes forever to grow. You can get some big old tasty Daikon’s in 6 weeks. They last all year in the fridge once you pull them up too.

                Daikon Radishes are not your ordinary radish. They are long carrot like roots with a mild rutabaga taste.

                Stephen Graf
                Moderator
                  Post count: 2434

                  I planted a dozen trees a half dozen years ago deep in the woods so they’d grow nice and slow. They are about chest high now. I figure by the time the grand kids are ready to start shooting, those trees should be ready to donate a limb or two.

                  Stephen Graf
                  Moderator
                    Post count: 2434
                    in reply to: broadhead practice #26059

                    That was good! What, no misses? You da man! Love that stump in the video too.

                    The Man with NO Name trilogy is an all time favorite of mine. I have the DVD set and watch it almost every year.

                    Stephen Graf
                    Moderator
                    Moderator
                      Post count: 2434

                      I’ve made the 2 eared footings without needing any jigs. They are just as good as the 4 eared footing.

                      The good thing about footings is that you can make broken arrows new again.

                      So far I have had no failures with the fiberglass footing. They will get a good workout this year when squirrel season opens 😳

                      Stephen Graf
                      Moderator
                        Post count: 2434

                        R2 wrote: …But then again to a hungry man lots of things become more palatable (except turnips, ain’t ‘no fixins’ can help them out) 🙁

                        I used to think that too. But my wife started roasting turnips and man were they good. I’ve developed a whole new appreciation for the turnip truck since then 😀

                        I’ve never had a chance to shoot a jack rabbit. Knowing they aren’t so bad after all, I may just take the opportunity if it ever comes.

                        Stephen Graf
                        Moderator
                          Post count: 2434

                          I heard jack rabbit wasn’t all that tasty. How was it?

                          Stephen Graf
                          Moderator
                            Post count: 2434
                            in reply to: Sharpening Tool #60008

                            Dean Torges always has something good to say. Here is a good essay on sharpening broadheads with a file:

                            http://www.bowyersedge.com/broadhead.html

                            Stephen Graf
                            Moderator
                              Post count: 2434
                              in reply to: Sharpening Tool #48912

                              Good one David!

                              I bought some Tusker broadheads because they look mean and are the best deal out there from what I can tell. That said, they don’t have an edge on them at all. Basically have to make an edge.

                              Clamping the head for such hogging-off work is a good idea.

                              Keeping the angle “correct” is easy, as others have suggested. No magic in any specific angle. Just being consistent about the angle is what is important.

                              Stephen Graf
                              Moderator
                                Post count: 2434
                                in reply to: ETAR #25579

                                Thanks for the take-along! Good shooting too. Glad to see you fellows having such a good time.

                                Stephen Graf
                                Moderator
                                Moderator
                                  Post count: 2434

                                  Birch, or laminated birch?

                                  I bought some laminated birch years ago, but it was crazy heavy.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 2,331 total)