Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
in reply to: Grizzly hunt! #11586
ShaneHarley wrote: From what I understand bear meat flavor is dependant on what the bear is eating. If they are eating carrion then they are not very good. I guess spring bears are supposed to be better because most of the offending flavor has left during the winter and all they are eating is grass and stuff. I shot one this spring and we BBQed back strap and it was awesome. The rest I sent to be processed into sausage. I would for sure eat another one.
As far as cats go Fred Eichler says he eats his. I think if I ever harvested a cat I would try and eat it. Then go from there if I ever tried for another one.
I know a guy who ate the racoons he trapped and really enjoyed the meat. Another guy at work when he was younger they would eat nutria.
So I think there’s a lot we could eat but some of it might depend on what that critter is eating himself.
I ate cougar (yeah, I know, keep it cival), and it was great! Tasted very similar to a pork roast.
in reply to: Grizzly hunt! #9451colmike wrote: Jonking–our handler this past mushing season was a ranger at Katmai for 3 years (Denali west side this year) we were entertained by her pictures of the bears and she identified all by number and their slang names.
Magnificent creatures.
Went hunting the great bears in 84–(gun hunt) Talketna area. About 2 weeks after breakup. First day 3 of us glassed a total of 5 grizzly. That night at the trappers cabin after some rum we all decided that watching was more important then killing.
We spent two weeks watching, stalking and talking.
Likely one of my most memorable hunts. Then we went back to Adak and got our caribou:D
Semper Fi
Mike
Great story Mike! The rum prevailed!
in reply to: The Trad Knife Thread #7985Here’s a few more!

Made the one on the left for a friend, the other one was a left over piece of 440C.

This one was for a guy I grew up with and lived across the street from us.

This one is a backup I carry with me. Small and concealable!
in reply to: "The Good Hunt" film trailer #63540That looks awesome Dave!! If it wathces like your books read, then we’re in for a treat!! You outta go back to that 70’s “fro”, and cowboy hat!! Looks good!!
in reply to: Hunting in grizzly country! #63520rollingrock wrote: Don’t laugh…I always carry a little rifle even when I bowhunt. 😆
Define “a little rifle”. Do you mean like a mare’s leg?
in reply to: Close encounters and backup #52372I agree with Smithhammer! The majority of my hunting takes place in griz/black bear, wolf and cougar country. A pistol isn’t a option as this is Canada, and only criminals can carry them…A short barreled shottie is in camp, but to pack it with me, well , not going to happen! I carry enough stuff already. You really have to train with one, especially a pistol grip to shoot accurately! If you think you are going to rack a shell, and lethally hit a charging griz at close range you’re dreaming! Better off paying attention to your surroundings, watching your 6, and carry a big knife and bear spray IMHO! Did have a wolf walk up to within 25 yards last fall. That was real cool!
in reply to: The Trad Knife Thread #52250Ben (Prairie Prowler) wrote: This guy makes knives out of everything from wrenches to rebar to railroad spikes. Thought it was worth sharing.
Ben! Do you own one of those knives? Checked out website, and they certainly are priced right! $75 for a handmade knife is cheap! Wonder if they are any good?
in reply to: Dividing the spoils #47992tradhunter1 wrote: If we hunt together, we pack together, we share camp chores together, we all eat evenly together.:D
If you don’t do camp chores, you don’t hunt hard and ethically(ethically is more important than hard), you are drunken slob, you don’t help pack out, you won’t eat my meat, and you don’t come back to my camp ever!:x
Don’t get me wrong about drinking, because a good toddy at the end of a hard hunt is a wonderful thing,:D but a mouthy pushy drunk is someone I want to avoid. So I choose my long hunts and long hunting partners carefully.
I have shared hunting camp with up to 10 people with only 2 elk down. 9 of those hunting went home with meat split evenly. One left camp with hurt feelings and a new understanding of what sharing the experience really means.
Good luck
Troy
Absolutely, 100%, correct! There is one other thing, if you are a slob, and don’t clean up, help/do the dishes without having to be asked, you will be persona non grata, and not invited back!
in reply to: Getting in shape #41677lyagooshka wrote: I’ve been getting in shape for the past 20 years. Just keep in mind, “round” is a shape. I think I need to stop doing beer-curls and start on a bit of endurance. I need to drop about 50#. Archery is actually helpful there. I take the bow for a walk on the 3D course and that puts about 1-2 miles on the footwear. Do that 2X/WK, some jogging (2-3 miles), sign up for a few 5K races (just to run, not to place). Also, doing the “Tough Mudder” June 1st. 10-12 miles with obstacles. I just hope not to have an MI at mile marker 2 😆 . That’s about all. End of September will be the test. My first hunt in the “real” wilderness. Any QC hunters want to give me ideas on “training up”, feel free. Be well.
Alex
😛
Awesome on the Tough Mudder Alex! Been thinking of doing the local Spartan Race here, but need to look for my big boy underpants!!
in reply to: Getting in shape #38032ShaneHarley wrote: So besides keeping your bow arm strong does anyone here try to get in shape before hunting season and what do you do? What’s your focus?
I try to maintain a certain level of fitness year around. My “go to” exercise is running.
in reply to: Hunting in grizzly country! #37324wildschwein wrote: I hunt in Grizz country year round, and my main tactic is to try and force myself to forget they are out there lol.
I don’t run into them that often (twice a year, sometimes more), but when I do it makes me wish our province would allow us to carry sidearms.
ahh fellow Albertan!! I read the atricle in this months Alberta Outdoorsman about Robert Bennett. That’s what prompted this thread!
in reply to: American Leathers #35554Big Shot update!
First couple of times shooting with it, I thought:”This is going up for sale”! Very thick, had a hard time with not being able to feel the string. Kinda like trying to pick fly *hit out of pepper with boxing gloves on!! Fast forward to about a month and a bit of shooting with it, and I am really starting to like it! Once you get used to the thickness. Like the nylon inserts, makes for a smooth release IMO. Will definitley be keeping it!:D
in reply to: The Non-Trad Knife Thread #62242ausjim wrote: Sinawalli, my gerber claims to have been made in Portland, Oregan. When I was researching I came across some folks that said beware of cheap online Gerbers, they’re made in China. So I ordered mine from a reputable stateside store and had it shipped. At the end of the day my proof is just a stamp on the blade, which could easily have been done by a chinese guy 😕
J.Wesbrock, I’m not entirely sure what counts as trad or non-trad either, but I didn’t think my rubber handled, electrically insulated field knife with MOLLE sheath and tacti-cool legstrap (not in the picture) was in much of a grey area 😉
Shane, good luck mate 🙂
AJ
What steel is your Gerber? Steel and heat treatment are the heart and soul of a good knife. Otherwise it’s just a flaccid piece of steel. Does it hold a edge?
in reply to: The Trad Knife Thread #58711David Petersen wrote: Bill — that “Sticker” is gorgeous work! What sort of leather is the sheath and how did you get it to look so old? Your freind is a lucky man to have a friend as talented and generous as you. Despite a 7th-grade metal-working class back in the late 1800s (it seems), knife-making is a skill I’ll never acquire, so I’m all the more impressed by those who do it and do it well.
Thanks Dave! All I can take credit for is the knife! I farmed out the sheath to a buisness acquaintance I dealt with in the past who is a amazing leather worker/knife maker. I found a pic of a sheath I wanted, changed a few things, added the Ranger star (my friend is US Army Ranger tabbed), added a genuine bear claw, and presto, he came up with this brilliant design! The leather is rawhide that is “aged” to appear old. The knife was one of the most intensive projects I’ve undertaken! Made the first one, got it all done, looked at it for awhile and said *#ck it! Not what I wanted, so I totally scrapped it. Built another one, didn’t like the handle scales, ground them off, six months later, came up with what you see now! Gave it to him along with a fine bottle of whiskey the day before he officially retired! My sheaths are kydex, don’t have the means or talent for leather!
-
AuthorPosts