Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • horserod
    Member
      Post count: 78
      in reply to: What if …? #29668

      You guys have too much time on your hands or you have the onset of cabin fever already! and/or both…..:lol: Bullseye

      horserod
      Member
        Post count: 78

        Well said DWC. I,too, have a couple more weeks left here in Ohio,,,,AND an unfilled tag! If I don’t fill it though, it’s been a great season. I always feel a little sadness when the season comes to an end. The autumn is always my favorite time of the year with all the sights and smells. I no longer hang out in trees, but, stay on the ground in blinds and still hunting. I enjoy the first snows too. Hopefully the Lord will allow me another year to continue the adventures I so love to pursue in the great outdoors with the feel of a good bow in my hands and watching the flight of the beautiful arrow as it streaks to it’s appointed mark…….I have loved archery since 1957 and always will! 😀 Bullseye

        horserod
        Member
          Post count: 78
          in reply to: Kalamazoo? #23211

          Dave, I’m looking forward to meeting you face to face there. My son and I will be headin’ up north early Friday morning. It’s always a great time there for sure. Bullseye

          horserod
          Member
            Post count: 78
            in reply to: Scrappy one down #19788

            That’s a great deer AND story Stumpy. What poundage is your old bow, if I may ask. Bullseye

            horserod
            Member
              Post count: 78
              in reply to: Glue #8051

              Like Skifrk, I’ve always used Bohning products (especially Fletch Tite) with reliable results. I,also, am open to using other products. Heck, I’ll try (almost) anything once!!! 😆 Bullseye

              horserod
              Member
                Post count: 78

                Maybe Dave’s just old !!! :lol::lol::lol: Bullseye

                horserod
                Member
                  Post count: 78

                  Tailfeather, Is your bow backed with anything??? Bullseye

                  horserod
                  Member
                    Post count: 78
                    in reply to: Well Placed Shot #63988

                    Maybe it would sound better if……”A man has to know his limits” I know that it “Flies Straight” for me! Bullseye 🙂

                    horserod
                    Member
                      Post count: 78
                      in reply to: My Kansas Hunt #41524

                      Swampy, Mind me asking? What kind of broadhead did you use on the buck??? Bullseye

                      horserod
                      Member
                        Post count: 78

                        Redtape, With a bad left shoulder I’ve had to drop my bow weight to 40-42#(during recovery I started shooting a 25# then 35# to finally get to my acceptable long term bow poundage). My good friend Jerry Brumm (Great Northern bowyer) made an awesome 60″ longbow 40#@26″ draw length. Another good friend (John Lee) gave me a short dozen GT carbon arrows 3 feather fletched cut at 28 1/2″ and weighing 550 gr without points. With 140 gr field points they shoot like darts and bury deeply into my big block target at 20 yds !!! It’s an amazing shooting combo with a 21% FOC. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to shoot a deer yet this season. With some limited testing with a couple different broadheads I am totally convinced I will not have any problems taking a deer out to 20 yards (a self imposed limit!). Needless to say, I am very happy with my bow/arrow setup and can’t wait to put them to the final test….No fears here!!! Bullseye 😀

                        horserod
                        Member
                          Post count: 78
                          in reply to: Scent proof? #32814

                          I’m with ya Stump……It’s worked for me for many years! Bullseye

                          horserod
                          Member
                            Post count: 78

                            Good one David! I got to thinking about all the archery “stuff” I still have. My dad bought me a Bear Panda @30# in the late 50’s which I carried everywhere I went back in the day…..there wasn’t any small game safe then! I still have it, but, my sister damaged it while I was in the ‘Nam. I still use the German made hunting knife with stag grips my Mom’s boyfriend gave me back in ’59. I guess the oldest most used article is my Redwing Irish Setter hunting boots I bought in ’72……they have been amazing! I still shoot my ’70,’71,& ’76 Bear recurves. Ahhh, all the memories…..Wow, this is a great thread. 😀 Thanks, Bullseye

                            horserod
                            Member
                            Member
                              Post count: 78

                              Steve, Yes, I’m using the “old” Grizzlies. I have a good amount of them in several broadhead weights from 130 gr up to 225 gr. They must be 65 r.s. or harder ! But, once sharpened they should stay that way for a while……It’s just getting them to that state of sharpness that evades my efforts !!! I’d really like to use them rather than buying new heads tho. I’d rather,also,spend my money on good arrows too. I’m using carbon arrows with my old Hunters Heads I got from John Schulz along time ago. I got them razor sharp and the complete arrow is in the EFOC range. They fly like darts out of my 44# Great Northern. However, I just want to try the single edge blades, I’m convinced they would do a better job for me on medium sized big game animals. Am I asking for too much ??? Bullseye

                              horserod
                              Member
                              Member
                                Post count: 78

                                J.W. How do the feather arrow rests wear ??? I assume using one would allow you to use vanes ??? I have been shooting off the shelf for a long time now. Am trying to see if it’s worth the time and trouble to set my bow back up with an elevated arrow rest. Any other yea or nays here ??? Thanks, Bullseye

                                horserod
                                Member
                                  Post count: 78

                                  OK Guys, I understand that the position of the broadhead on the shaft is important, especially if it is a 2 blade. The blades need to be in a vertical plane to your bow handle. Up and down as you look down the arrow. Not side to side (or flat). I was told to do this for 2 reasons. 1. So you can feel the back edge touching your bow grip fingers and not over draw 2. The angle of the broadhead blade (at the bow) will match how it strikes the target as it hits. Now, I was told this a long time ago and have stayed with this form of mounting and shooting my hunting arrows. In my few tests on targets I have found it to be true. YMMV, and I may have been told wrong? But, thru the years it has worked for me and it does make it harder to mount my broadheads as I don’t settle for any wobble. What’s your thoughts??? Bullseye

                                Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)