Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,051 through 1,065 (of 2,568 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • David Petersen
    Member
      Post count: 2749
      in reply to: Ethics #22257

      Nick — all you need is a godd tuning mentor. After that it’s all sweetness and light …

      David Petersen
      Member
      Member
        Post count: 2749

        Steve Mc — I wish I were as open-minded and accepting as you. No, I take that back 😛

        David Petersen
        Member
          Post count: 2749
          in reply to: new guy #21757

          Well Gary, it’s about time you came in from the cold. 😀 You are most welcome here. Dave

          David Petersen
          Member
            Post count: 2749
            in reply to: Archery Show… #19826

            Alex — with their high-poundage let-off, front and rear sights, and trigger releases, I must politely differ with you that compounds are “archery just the same.” It’s far closer to shooting a rifle than a real bow. Just a matter of keeping our terminology straight. 😛

            David Petersen
            Member
              Post count: 2749
              in reply to: Ethics #19674

              Maddawg — A good point you bring up. If you follow this site closely on a regular basis, I believe you’ll find us to be “the ethics site.” While there is no designated ethics forum (over time we have learned that too many forums discourage the number of posts), the Campfire forum is for all topics and ethical situations are a common thread. Same for TBM magazine. If you want to talk ethics here, it’s a safe and friendly place as there is no bullying by moderators and no personal insults allowed. Tracking back through our few years online, there’s probably a book-full of polite and intelligent ethical discussions on a broad array of topics. Thanks for bringing it to the forefront.

              David Petersen
              Member
                Post count: 2749
                in reply to: Boots? #18934

                Well Charles, should that happen, at least you’ll have died with your boots on. 😛

                David Petersen
                Member
                  Post count: 2749
                  in reply to: High FOC works #18788

                  Tom — you can also try 300 Tuffheads on those shafts to “weaken” the spine, rather than buying new shafts. Thing is, you killed and recovered that deer and with a lesser arrow/broadhead you might well have lost it. All bad hits are unplanned and should be compensated for in equipment choices in advance. Congrats on your venison.

                  David Petersen
                  Member
                    Post count: 2749
                    in reply to: New bow! #16841

                    New bows are always fun. Congrats.

                    David Petersen
                    Member
                      Post count: 2749
                      in reply to: Boots? #16839

                      I third Dunkan on the LL Beaners. I walk hundreds of miles in mine in steep rough terrain and pack meat with them and they absolutely cut it. Nothing better I’ve ever found. About $100 a pair. Be sure to request speed laces.

                      David Petersen
                      Member
                        Post count: 2749

                        53#, 300-grain Tuffheads. Shoot plumb through elk.

                        David Petersen
                        Member
                          Post count: 2749

                          Give Ron a call at KME. He’s a no-BS guy who won’t try to sell you anything but simply answer your questions straight-on.

                          David Petersen
                          Member
                            Post count: 2749
                            in reply to: Scent Control #13162

                            Hey Steve — I really like your last piece of advice there, whether the deer come or not. 😀

                            David Petersen
                            Member
                              Post count: 2749

                              Munsterman, thanks for these enlightening posts. Yet more evidence of the counterproductive obstinance of those who insist on the mantra “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” If we’re not shooting through animals consistently, something in fact IS broke, and the Ashby Penetration and Lethality Study has the fix! Now your young son, with his short draw and low-poundage bow, can hunt with confidence. 😀

                              David Petersen
                              Member
                                Post count: 2749

                                FOC is important, but if he plans to hunt deer with these arrows, overall weight is more important. Just saying not to sacrifice overall weight in a quest for FOC. Of course, if you can get good overall weight and most of it’s up front, even better. I killed my first whitetail as a teen with a 42# recurve, cedar shafts and 130-grain two-blade (Bears with bleeder blades removed) and got good penetration. I have no idea what arrow weight or FOC were. 😆

                                David Petersen
                                Member
                                  Post count: 2749

                                  If I’m camping and cooking I hate major preparations and hate even more the clean-up. So my favorites are (a) stuff my wife has made ahead and frozen that I can simply heat in a pan, and (b) Hatch green chili stew from a can. Of course, when a kill is made then fresh backstrap steaks that night are mandatory! Yum …

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,051 through 1,065 (of 2,568 total)