Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
in reply to: Bow prototype — the Inferno #31024
While I’ve no doubt whatsoever that every single bow Gregg makes is a masterpiece of art and efficiency, we are now happily in a world where most truly custom-made stickbows are lovely and super-efficient. Thus it largely comes down to personal preference in appearance. My preference is strongly with the forward-handle look, as per the Shrew Classic Hunter. That’s the bow design I’m holding my breath for see and shoot: An even better-shooting, prettier “Classic Hunter” (if such is possible) with the Java Man logo on it. The grip would have to be virtually identical, esp. the little thumb shelf that allows a shooter to return to precisely the same grip every time without thought. Pure self-indulgence, and why not? 😛
in reply to: It's a good day… #31018No John, you’re not bloating, but merely sharing the joy. With my elk hunt done and my first whitetail hunt still two weeks away, I am seriously jealous. Enjoy, and make meat as you can.
in reply to: Patience furthers #30711Thanks for all the kind words. Yes, it was a “record book” tough year here. To answer a few of your questions:
CO’s either-sex archery season ended Sept. 23 (unreasonably early). Since then I’ve been hunting on a special draw limited cow tag. It’s technically a rifle season but of course I’m a bowhunter, and perfectly legal.
Yes, wood shaft, Sitka spruce arrows built by Fletcher, and I shoot better with them than with any carbons I’ve built, perhaps because this is my first experience with four-fletch and I’ll never return to three. Alas, the arrow struck just the thin edge of the scapula at a slight angle which was apparently enough, considering the 300-grain head, to snap the shaft an inch or so behind the head. So the shaft got almost no penetration, as evidenced by the lack of blood behind the break point. Best I can figure, the weight/momentum of the head alone carried it into the heart and got the job done fast and clean, rather like a bullet. So now I’m facing a dilemma insofar as I much prefer shooting wood, these arrows are the best shooters I’ve ever had, and I’d love to keep hunting with them. But lethality considerations must always triumph and I can’t risk losing an animal due to another break. So from here it’s either find a lightweight workable external footing for the tip-end of the shaft (I’ve used aluminum shafting before but don’t like it), or return to carbons. In any event it will be Toughheads as they’ve killed fast everything I’ve ever shot one at.
And you asked about “The Good Hunt” documentary film project, thank you kindly. The indiegogo site is limited to a month, and expired a couple weeks ago. We have been putting together a “permanent” site that will follow the project through editing, release, and promotion. That site is finally ready to go and I planned to announce it here later today, after I get the elk meat taken care of. It’s http://www.thegoodhunt.net. Thanks so much for your interest and support. It’s a whole new and one-time experience for me and so far I’m pleased with the progress.
Cheers, Dave
in reply to: Patience furthers #29718Almost forgot …
in reply to: Scent proof? #28938Paleo — Montana Pitch Blend is bees wax, pine oil and mink oil, works far better than Sno Seal or anything else for waterproofing and preserving leather, and the animals don’t seem the least offended by it. But the laces will give you away unless you tuck them in so they’re not exposed or spray with deer or elk pee for them what uses it.
in reply to: Archery Show… #28501Mike — You uncle would like this one, from last night’s brush-blind ambush hunt, range one meter. Because I was using my pee bottle when the four deer came in and thus was caught with my fly down and it was cold, I neglected to properly focus. Still you get the idea. I’ve had the opportunity to touch three elk in past, had I chosen to, but this is the first deer. I reckon my camo and scent and movement control were all strak. 😀
in reply to: Tuning (Again!) #27877If anyone can help you with tuning, it’s our boy Troy. 😀
in reply to: Archery Show… #27874Howard Hill was a man of his times and avoiding high-risk wounding shots wasn’t part of his ethics set. Most Hill fans know the sad and embarrassing story of his famed elephant kill. We must give slack for “doing what everyone else did” in a certain time and place. Yet my admiration is reserved for those like Aldo Leopold who “did what was right” even when it went against the grain of what most were doing. A 185 yard bow shot is what it is, no matter who or when or where –irresponsible and just plan wrong. IMHO …
in reply to: What's Your Camp? #27382I have had a couple of truck campers, but gas prices put an end to that and I’m back to tents, of which I have too many. My current favorite is a 8×12 dome that I got at WalMart for $75. The documentary filmmaker from Belgium spent a whole month in it here in our yard (cabin is too small for guests), through rain and strong wind and it performed flawlessly. It goes up just like any other dome, with two flexible rods that form an X from corner to corner and a separate fly. One person can do it and two can do it in a minute or two. That’s now my all-purpose car camping tent. I also have two smaller domes and a bivy, which is worthless as it doesn’t breathe.
in reply to: Bow prototype — the Inferno #24674Danged that Java Man. I keep thinking I’ve bought my “last” bow, then he comes up with another one I just have to have. With no disrepect to the great many superb bowyers working today, IMHO Gregg is the best in the known universe and a humble, darn good man. This is why I try always to buy from “mom and pop” trad businesses … they do it for love as much or more than for money. Gregg has a full-time job, two teenagers and still finds time to build A+++ bows … in a garage workshop, start to finish by himself. Now that’s traditional! 😀
in reply to: arrow weight/FOC science fair #23536Welcome, Matt. Check out the Ashby Library on this site — it is the bible of arrow lethality studies, arrow weight, FOC and much more. A great project. You might be able to find some cow and/or sheep scapula at your local butchers …
in reply to: Tooth Brush Rest #23532Could be hard on feathers?
in reply to: The anser to all our problems! #23530I wonder how it works in the 25mph winds I’ve been fighting all season? 😛
in reply to: Got One…Got Lucky… #23521Big congrats, Roger. And having just read your post on ethics, I’m glad to see that “getting your meat right” didn’t get in the way. And no surprise. I had a Lil Favorite for a while and it was a sweetheart, but my short longbow instincts drove me back to the Classic Hunters. Gregg Coffey, the master-bowyer behind both, is reaching out and working on several new designs right now to market through is Java Man website. And I thought I’d bought my last bow! Like your camo too. 😀
-
AuthorPosts