Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,501 through 1,515 (of 2,568 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • David Petersen
    Member
      Post count: 2749

      TK — Is there any chance you are shooting “cross eyed”? That is, for instance, left-eyed but shooting right handed and hugging your brace too tight to try and compensate? If not, I’d start by trying minor changes in your anchor point. I hear Jimmy Durante had this same problem. Wink

      David Petersen
      Member
        Post count: 2749
        in reply to: ebay selfbows? #24595

        Snafu — That’s good advice from Bjorn. I roughly calculate that I spend about 40 hours making a wood-lam bow, and more for a selfbow. Just a good stick (board) of osage costs more than $15. On the other hand if you’re the curious type, you don’t have much to lose on checking out a $15 bow. Good to see both of you posting here. Dave

        David Petersen
        Member
          Post count: 2749
          in reply to: got a 4 point #24589

          Good work, Ron! Yum!

          David Petersen
          Member
          Member
            Post count: 2749
            in reply to: Rain suits #24225

            Well thanks for all the good leads, fellers. I’ve check out as many as I could trace, and last night ordered some Frogg Toggs. For $69.99 from the manufacturer, including priority mail postage, for a top and bottom, choice of camo pattern, lightweight and packable, breathable with all the right features and several good recommendations here, I don’t see how I can go very far wrong. If I lived in the Pacific NW or AK I could perhaps justify some of the more top-end stuff. But mostly I carry rain gear for emergency use, for those rare times when it rains like a waterfall and wool isn’t enough. Thanks again, Dave

            David Petersen
            Member
              Post count: 2749

              What Kelly said!

              David Petersen
              Member
              Member
                Post count: 2749
                in reply to: Rain suits #21925

                Pothunter — I checked the reference and it looks promising. I tried the Wiggies link and it led to nothing; I’ll try googling it. For now, can you tell us from where you are ordering the jacket and at what cost? Sounds like the up sides include quietness and having a “rain suit” built into other garments. Presumed down side might include weight, bulk, and cost. Do keep us posted. Interesting …

                David Petersen
                Member
                Member
                  Post count: 2749
                  in reply to: SBD bowstrings? #21072

                  Photo — Just playing with the new “font freedom” that Robin has provided us with here. I can barely read this small one, which is the default (a personal problem, I reckon).

                  David Petersen
                  Member
                    Post count: 2749
                    in reply to: FOC Question #21068

                    I am struggling to understand your precise question … I’m slow that way sometimes. But to come at it a different way, the FOC game is about getting as much arrow weight up front as possible on a light shaft and still maintain perfect arrow flight. From a purely FOC POV it shouldn’t matter whether the point weight is in the head or the insert or the adapter or a combo of all three. Generally speaking, the heavier heads are the stronger heads, so my personal theory is go with what I judge to be the all-around “best” broadhead as first priority, so that if I have to drop some weight it will be in the insert or adapter. Using steel adapters and brass inserts it doesn’t much matter, so far as I know, where you save the weight. In fact I’ve never had to deal with that. I would never go to aluminum inserts or adapters as they performed poorly in the Ashby study. Like Mudd, I presume and hope Ed comes along to correct anything we’ve mislead you on here and to further educate us all. Dave

                    David Petersen
                    Member
                      Post count: 2749
                      in reply to: G'Day! #21057

                      See, Moreton, I told you so! Welcome Ben! (We only recently got an upgrade to the site that allows selecting font, or type, size, and I was playing with it and gently harassing our webmother, Robin Conrads, here and on another post, with this newfound toy.) Dave

                      David Petersen
                      Member
                      Member
                        Post count: 2749
                        in reply to: SBD bowstrings? #20663

                        Not me.

                        David Petersen
                        Member
                          Post count: 2749
                          in reply to: G'Day! #20656

                          Hi Craig. You won’t be the only Oz-lander here. Welcome, Dave

                          David Petersen
                          Member
                            Post count: 2749

                            Robin — Posts automatically go to this eye-destroying tiny 8-pt font unless you manually increase the size each time you post. Is there any way, either as individual posters in our profiles or whatever, or that you can set it for everyone, where the default is,say, 12-pt? It would save another “every time” hassle as well as saving eyes both typing and reading, thanks. I love the increased time-out. That was the single most annoying part of the old system. This tiny type is the only bothersome aspect I’ve found with the upgrades. Duffer Dave

                            David Petersen
                            Member
                              Post count: 2749
                              in reply to: Question ????? #20040

                              Flintlock — what will you be using the bow for? If hunting, what’s the largest animal?

                              David Petersen
                              Member
                              Member
                                Post count: 2749
                                in reply to: SBD bowstrings? #19934

                                Bruce — It’s the best-looking string I’ve ever had, insofar as the tip overlays are perfect and tight without a single “hair” sticking out. It came precisely the right length and it stretched-in real fast and has stayed put. Alas I’ve hardly shot it,since I’ve switched for now from the Shrew to Clay Hayes’ elegant “snakey” selfbow in an attempt to kill a second elk this year. But I’ll return to the Shrew and SBD string for an upcoming deer hunt, and plan to order one for the Hayes bow as well. I think it’s a $20 gamble that’s not much of a gamble at all. I’ve even tried to interest Shrew in selling these strings and putting them on their new bows, but I’ve seen no rush to comply. Wink

                                David Petersen
                                Member
                                  Post count: 2749
                                  in reply to: Redwing Boots #16714

                                  Long ago, I asked a shoe repairman what he thought the best-made boots were, and he said unequivocally “Red Wing.” So I bought a pair, $100 on sale and this was 25+ years ago. They are high-top work boots with “oil proof” soles, which are made for concrete and not the outdoors, having almost no tread pattern. Over the years I’ve hiked, hunted, ridden horseback in them, plus they’ve always been my chain-sawing boots … yet the leather remains uncracked and I’m still on the original soles, which are now worn down smooth. Most amazing of all, they don’t look like work boots (they’re 10″ high), and if I shine them up I can wear them anywhere as dress “shoes.” They are relatively light and flexible. So in a nut, in my experience they are great boots, but very expensive and you’d want a better tread for outdoor use. They are not insulated and not for really cold weather.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,501 through 1,515 (of 2,568 total)