Home Forums Bows and Equipment Tip on straightening wood shafts

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author

Here’s a quick little vid showing how to straighten wood shafts.

• Bruce Smithhammer

Clay – I think that’s the best 40 seconds I’ve spent all week. πŸ˜‰

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to run out right now and grab a 6-pack of “arrow straighteners”…

• Stephen Graf

That was sweet.

Having more cents than sense, I bought one of the ace roller straighteners. It works great too. But I sure wish I had seen this before buying it πŸ™„

• grumpygrumpy

He said an OLD beer bottle. Would a NEW beer bottle work. Calling Mushroom Bill to see if he has a OLD beer bottle.

• RalphRalph

Since I have 26 years of sobriety guess I’ll have to use my shaft tamer. :cry::cry::D:D

That is a good deal Clay.

I happen to have several friends that may kin to Grumpy’s friends. A ready source of bottles.

• David CoulterDavid Coulter

Clay, nice, to the point. I also like how didn’t just assume we’d all have and old beer bottle laying around. Very generous of you. Dwc

• Clay Hayes

grumpy wrote: He said an OLD beer bottle. Would a NEW beer bottle work. Calling Mushroom Bill to see if he has a OLD beer bottle.

Hmm… Good point. I think a full bottle, i.e. new, would probably tire out the wrist during the straightening process. I usually try to empty them before hand. Any empty bottle qualifies as “old” in my book.:D

• grumpygrumpy

We’re in luck!! πŸ˜€ As the snow melted, we found a beer bottle Winston left on the front porch last fall. Just finished 6 new arrows for Audrey, now we can straighten them.

30 years here R2.

• Bruce Smithhammer

I’ve been using this tip quite a bit lately, and it works like a charm. And since I find arrow-building to go hand-in-hand with enjoy a nice malty beverage, it’s a match made in heaven. Thanks for the tip, Clay. πŸ˜‰

• Stephen Graf

Smithhammer wrote: I’ve been using this tip quite a bit lately, and it works like a charm. And since I find arrow-building to go hand-in-hand with enjoy a nice malty beverage, it’s a match made in heaven. Thanks for the tip, Clay. πŸ˜‰

It appears that relationship might be inverse… The straighter the arrows gets, the more wobbly the archer becomes 8)

• RalphRalph

grumpy wrote: We’re in luck!! πŸ˜€

30 years here R2.

:D:D:D:D:D

• RalphRalph

Steve Graf wrote: [quote=Smithhammer]I’ve been using this tip quite a bit lately, and it works like a charm. And since I find arrow-building to go hand-in-hand with enjoy a nice malty beverage, it’s a match made in heaven. Thanks for the tip, Clay. πŸ˜‰

It appears that relationship might be inverse… The straighter the arrows gets, the more wobbly the archer becomes 8)

At that point does one care? πŸ™„

• Stephen Graf

R2 wrote: …At that point does one care? πŸ™„

Ahhhh, so grasshopper, when the archer and the arrow wobble the same, only then will they find harmony. Only then will the arrow find its mark. πŸ™„

Moral of the story – If you want another beer, just bend your arrow a little more πŸ˜€

• RalphRalph

A crooked dozen make for a bad next morning. πŸ˜€

• FallguyFallguy

I have always used a old piece of polished deer antler. The only shaves that needed more than that were some hickory I tried once.

• RalphRalph

A round shafted 6″ or 8″ screwdriver will also work.

• Bruce Smithhammer

R2 wrote: A round shafted 6″ or 8″ screwdriver will also work.

I think I’ll stick with beer. After a screwdriver or two I’d be worthless. 8)

• RalphRalph

No wonder some people never get anything straight. 8)

• Bruce Smithhammer

R2 wrote: No wonder some people never get anything straight. 8)

• grumpygrumpy

Olive Oil bottle works too. The round one not the square one. Not about to try the VW door… Ohh that was sharpening knives, never mind.

• RalphRalph

Olives!! Someone from ID be going to try using a martini glass. πŸ™„

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.