Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Bunyan Morris
    Member
      Post count: 135
      in reply to: Blackbeard Bound! #12867

      Alex, you’ve gotten some good info from Etter. In fact too much, because now EVERYBODY will be flocking to our little island hunt:D Just kidding. You will not regret participating. And it would be great to meet you.

      It is the oldest archery hunt in the state of Ga. I think it dates back to c. 1947. One word of advice, even though it is Held in early December, temps. In SE Ga have been quite mild. Prepare for ticks.

      Bunyan Morris
      Member
        Post count: 135

        Great idea for a thread Etter. Keep them coming folks.

        Bunyan Morris
        Member
          Post count: 135

          My name is Bunyan Morris. I’ve lived In Georgia all of my life. Teaching art is my passion. Connie is the love of my life and my daughter is my joyful pride.

          I’ve hunted or fished all of my life. I am fortunate to have been reared and to have worked on a farm whose southern border is Echeconnee Creek. My father was was hard on his brood. But, he instilled a love and respect for the outdoors in his children. While he ruled at home, he gave me freedom in the woods.

          By the time I was twelve years old, I knew almost every tree, slough and tadpole in the swamp. To cool off on hot summer days, my friends and I jumped from the nearby highway bridge into its cool muddy waters. In July 1970 naked “hippies” from The Atlanta Pop Festival swam and bathed in my favorite swimming hole. Echeconnee creek had introduced the naked female form to a boy of eight. For this if nothing else, my buddies and I will forever be in debt to that body of water.

          Free time on Saturdays and evenings after school were spent fishing, listening to my pair of beagles chase rabbits or just exploring. Sometimes I would take my Dad’s recurve just to shoot the arrows aloft to see how far they would go and to see how far across our pasture they’d land.

          I was interested in song birds, snakes, pitcher plants ferns and any oddities or ancient artifacts that I could find and study. That swamp was a source of wonder for a young boy.

          Later, I went off to college and spent more time hunting college co-eds than fur and fins. The next decade brought marriage, graduate school, a beautiful daughter and a divorce. During this time I’d taken a break from hunting itself. However, I never left the woods. I spent time fishing, camping, hiking and paddling on public lands and waters.

          The property that borders Echeconnee Creek is still in my family. I’m privileged to continue my visits to the swamp. I occasionally take a deer from there. But, mostly I spend my time enjoying its beauty. I can’t help but write romantically about the wonders of the swamp. Because if a place can define a person, Echeconnee Creek Swamp is the nature of who I am.

          In the second half of my life, I’ve developed a similar affinity for a Carolina Bay that lies in the low lands of southern Screven County. It is here that I made a new beginning in traditional archery.

          Bunyan Morris
          Member
            Post count: 135
            in reply to: New Bow Arrived! #8824

            Nice bow son.:D

            Bunyan Morris
            Member
              Post count: 135

              Another view of Horse Pen Bay. This is a 300 or so acre wetland loved by deer, turkey, small game, fish, alligators, waterfowl and this hunter.

              Bunyan Morris
              Member
                Post count: 135

                Ancient muscadine vine in Southeastern Georgia.

                Bunyan Morris
                Member
                  Post count: 135

                  hunting hard from a limb on the edge of the maritime forest. Love live oaks.

                  Bunyan Morris
                  Member
                    Post count: 135

                    Coastal sunrise from the stand on a Georgia barrier island, Black Beard

                    Bunyan Morris
                    Member
                      Post count: 135

                      Horse Pen Bay in Screven County Georgia. Etter and I hunt some of the same hallowed grounds.

                      Bunyan Morris
                      Member
                      Member
                        Post count: 135

                        Hammer, it is most definitely therapy.

                        Bunyan Morris
                        Member
                          Post count: 135
                          in reply to: Idaho Pictures #61943

                          Beautiful shots

                          Bunyan Morris
                          Member
                            Post count: 135

                            It makes a hunter a better human being.

                            Bunyan Morris
                            Member
                              Post count: 135

                              Beautiful bow. Glad you were able to get the humidity under control.

                              Bunyan Morris
                              Member
                                Post count: 135
                                in reply to: 23 Days Left!! #59607

                                Glad you had a great time. The picture of Tom’s cat is awesome. I can’t wait to see the skin. Sorry about the lack of snow and cat for you. But, it still sounds like a great trip! Any day in the field with hounds has to be a great day!

                                Bunyan Morris
                                Member
                                  Post count: 135
                                  in reply to: Interests #59600

                                  lyagooshka wrote: Well, reading this, I guess I forgot a few. I’ve made a few good ales, and a few bad lagers. One OK batch of wine and I love to sail. If only I had a sailboat, I’d be ok 😕 . Great read here, and great thread. Be well.

                                  Alex

                                  😀

                                  I’m going to brew a batch of IPA this week. Hope it turns out well.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 130 total)