Home Forums Campfire Forum Whatcha Got Going 2021

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

I’ll start it out this year.

2* here in SE KS now headed to a balmy 3* for the high.

-17* wind chill.

This is the coldest winter here for quite a few years.

• Robin ConradsRobin Conrads
      Admin

Dang! Is there anyone who didn’t get snow and cold this week? We are between storms here in SW Idaho, and hoping that roads are clear on Tuesday when I have to take T.J. in for shoulder surgery. We’ve had very little snow until now, and it sure is pretty when you don’t have to go anywhere.

Apr/May issue was mailed this week and should be delivered around the end of February, as long as the Post Office does their thing. It’s been rough the past two months getting magazines to people. (Subscribers who don’t have Feb/Mar should email me at webmaster@tradbow.com)

Otherwise, we are all good here.

• Raymond CoffmanRaymond Coffman

Cold and snow here in my part of NM …

Seems like everyone is getting hit . I think I’ll just stay inside today and read Traditional Bowhunter…

Wishing TJ an easy surgery and quick recovery…

Scout aka Ray

• richard roop

High winds over this way. Hate it when my arrows fly sideways

Raymond;

Suggested reading; Traditional Bowhunter / Feb.-Mar. 2011 ‘The Advantage of Long Distance Practice’  G. Fred Asbell.  I don’t always agree with everything Asbell writes but he really scored spot on with this article.

• Robin ConradsRobin Conrads
      Admin

Oh, and I forgot to report, all four of my beehives have survived winter so far. *fingers crossed*  Beekeeping is my break from tradbow.  😉 What are some other hobbies you have besides traditional bows?

• richard roop

I have an 80 gal. aquarium and quite a bit of cactus landscaping or wildlife habitat depending if you listen to me or my wife.  Been known to do a bit of rod & reel fishing but more than likely bowfishing out of my canoe.

And predator calling ………………. love to squeeze the rabbit.

• aeronut

And it did it again.  My post didn’t show up.  Sigh……………….

• Raymond CoffmanRaymond Coffman

Richard

I remember that article – I’ll pull it up and read it again…

Although it might have to wait— I clicked up the latest digital copy of tradbow, that I noticed just arrived !

Robin

I dabble in leather work . Knife sheaths, holsters, archery stuff etc . Especially handy hobby in the winter…

Scout aka ray

• aeronut

-2* with a -20* wind chill here now.  I sure glad I’m retired and not on call with the electric company any more.

I spent a long day yesterday thawing my daughter’s water line.  Got it going around 10pm and got my stuff gathered up and home around 11:30.  Sat dow2n in the recliner and woke up after 3am.

Lots of hobbies here.  Building bows, arrows, game calls, reloading, etc.   I have some flame Maple burl laminations I’m going to use for my first take down bow build.  It’s just got to warm up a bit.

I hope my bees survive Robin.  It’s danged cold out there.  I made a bee vacuum with interchangeable baskets this past week.  Just need some #6 hardware screen to finish the baskets.  That size is very hard to find.

Some of my game calls

This is a bow I built for a cousin several years ago.  He passed away from cancer and the bow came back home.  There’s a pretty good story involved about this that I may write about.

My cousin shooting the bow on the first outing.

Enough for now.

Dennis

• StixStix

My 2021 will take on the same schedule as all the other years:

Dec thru March: Ice fishing.

April-May: Turkey Hunting.

June thru August: Camping/fishing.

September; Bear hunting.

Oct-Nov: Deer/Elk hunting.

With bow shooting occurring at any time of the year.

• richard roop

Speaking of bees ………………………….

I’ve got  five gallons of Mead working in the back room.  Should be ready to enjoy around the campfire by this fall.

• aeronut

I’ve never tasted Meade but I’ve got lots of honey so I may try making up a batch.

• Stephen Graf

Made a bud vase for my mom’s 82 valentines day

Bud Vase

I like your game calls Dennis!  I’ve been dabbling in buck grunts myself:

Tried to upload the grunt call, but I guess it was just too much for internet to handle…

• aeronut

Yesterday, Monday, was a work day.  My laundry room is an enclosed porch on the north side of my 100 year old house and one cold day last week I went to wash my clothes.  The washer drain had frozen.  Not the drain that the washer dumps water into but the drain on the washer itself.

I got out my trusty heat gun and pumped a bunch of hot air under the washer and finally got it thawed and the washer drained.  I then noticed a slight drip on the hot water hose feeding the washer.  OK, I’ll get a couple of hoses and replace them since they are 16 years old and I shut off the valves on the hot and cold lines.

A while later I look and there is water on the floor.  The old valves started leaking around the stems so I added new valves to the list.

So yesterday I start replacing the valves and hoses.  Not everything went smoothly but there was no major hangup in the process.  Hopefully these will last at least another 16 years.

• richard roop

Perfect day today;  Mid 70s with a light breeze & sunny skies.

My shooting today; Not so much. I try to shoot an American Round, 9/7/5  scoring, once a month just because.  My goal is to shoot a 675 with my hunting bow. Didn’t have my mind right and my final score showed it.  Maybe next month.

• aeronut

I decided I needed to go for a woods walk and swap out my trail camera cards.  These have been out since mid December.  I got to the first camera, a real cheapie, shut it off and swapped the card.  Turned it back on to check the battery voltage and everything was fine.

Second camera is a new Wildgame camera and this is it’s first outing.  Battery is still good, swapped the cards, and headed for camera three.

Number three is the oldest of the trio and has been in these woods for probably three years.  I mounted it a little higher than normal because I had one camera drown here last year.

Got home to check the videos.

For some reason #1 had no videos.  I’ll have to check it next outing.

Camera #2 had 1017 videos on it.  Very few had animals in them.  The Wildgame cameras have very good photo and video quality but their sensors are way too sensitive.  I think a mosquito would trigger it.  LOTS of videos of woods.  Wind, rain, fog, snow, anything and everything triggered it.  Right around two weeks ago the night videos started getting dark.  The IR LEDS started flickering and fading out over the next week.  I need to bring it home and put it in a baggie of dessicant.  Maybe it got wet????

Camera #3.  Old reliable.  Somehow it got reset to take pictures, not videos.  The videos are much better quality than the pictures.  I wound up with 2238 mostly grainy pictures of deer, squirrels, and a few coyotes.  For some reason it would detect something and then take a picture every ten seconds for a couple of hours.  Maybe it is time to retire this one.

Here’s a few shots of the woods.  It was a good day to be out.

I spotted this tree a couple of months ago and showed it to my 8 year old granddaughter and explained what bird did this.  She thought it was neat.  We have lots of Pileated Woodpeckers around this area and when they go to work it sounds like someone is beating the tree with a hammer.

This gives an idea of the size.  The hollowed out area is around ten feet high.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.