Home Forums Campfire Forum Small game hunting, Ace Hex Head or The Hammer..?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Hello All,

I’m looking forward to some small game and bird hunting this year. More specifically, rabbits and pheasant with turkey possible. I’ve been trying to read up on the various blunts available for the purpose and it sounds like most hunters are not very happy with the plastic/rubber varieties. On the other hand, most seem pretty happy with the Ace Hex Heads. Your thoughts and experiences will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Guy   (Bladeswell)

• richard roop

First off ……..Even with my 60# recurve…………….. I wouldn’t use a blunt on anything larger than a jackrabbit. Turkeys & such I go with broadheads.

Close range stuff, (5 to 20 yards) I have 6 fletch flu-flus with the big black rubber blunts up front.  Very accurate and they hit like Thor’s Hammer.

Long range stuff, (25 yards to infinity) I like the Judo heads set up to group with my broadheads.  Accurate, good small game head and I can usually find them in the grass or brush when roving.

• Raymond CoffmanRaymond Coffman

Guy

Hex head is a good small game head ( squirrels , cottontails, grouse). Back in the olden times we took a weighted .38 special case and glued it on the end of one of our wood arrows……

Turkey’s as Richard mentioned — broadheads. There are a number of bheads designed specifically for turkey ( more expensive) designed to keep the arrow in the bird ( supposedly for easier recovery) I have not killed a turkey with any of them so have no field report. Most hunters just use their big game bheads.

Scout aka Ray

• Guy Seniceros

Thanks Guys,

I’ll make sure to use Bheads for turkey. And just for curiosity sake I’ll take a look at the Bheads designed specifically for turkey. Thanks again.

Guy      (Bladeswell)

• northernarcher

The last grouse I took was with a .38 special casing glued onto a 125 grain field point. The result was a 200 grain blunt that proved very effective.

I also chase grouse with judo points and regular steel blunts, both weighing in at 145 grains. The Judo points are excellent for arrow recovery, but the regular steel blunts are the most cost effective for stump shooting and small game hunting.

• aeronut

I make my own blunts by pressing an 11/32 field point into a .38 special case.  I use 125 grain field points but you can press any weight point into the case and they are a tight fit.  No glue needed.

• richard roop

Cool idea putting a .38 case over a field point !!!!

Thinking that the weight could be adjusted a bit by dropping in a few #6 birdshot.  Mounted on an expendable #2 or #3 shaft I will fear no Ground Squirrel sitting on a rock !!!!

• aeronut

I give up.

I’ve tried twice to post some pictures of the .38 special blunts but they won’t show up.

• aeronut

• aeronut
    • Raymond CoffmanRaymond Coffman

There ya go

Oughta work just dandy…..

Scout aka Ray

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.