Home Forums Bows and Equipment Numb fingers

• Author

Im having trouble with my fingers going numb after shooting my bow. Does anyone have any ideas on what might cause this or is this normal ?

• Raymond CoffmanRaymond Coffman

Hi ty

Can you give us a little more info ?

What type , Pull weight , of bow are you shooting? What type of glove / tab are you using ?

Scout

• Stephen Graf

Sounds to me like your glove or tab is not providing enough protection for your fingers.  Numbness is a common symptom for beat-up fingers.

Get a thicker one 🙂

• Ty

I’m shooting a bear Kodiak magnum at 48lbs. The glove I’m using is a thinner leather glove that I picked up at sportsman’s warehouse.

• RalphRalph

I agree with Stephan….get a thicker one……👌

• Ty

Sounds good thanks for the replies. I went ahead and made a tab with some leather I had laying around. Shot a couple of arrows with it and think that should be nicer to shoot.

• Raymond CoffmanRaymond Coffman

Ty

Ditto what Stephen and Ralph said and you have modified to success.

The reason I asked about bow type is – I shoot some short bows like the Kodiak Magnum which at full draw have a sharp string angle, and can pinch pretty bad  — tough on the fingers ! I use a pretty thick glove to shoot them and sometimes put tape on my “trigger finger ” ( as it is the one most bothered) to help alleviate the problem.

Scout

• tigertradtigertrad

If the tab works and you like it, that’s great.

If you want to stick with a glove, I can relate a similar experience I had with numbness from using a thin leather glove.  Got a heavy recurve  (70-lbs) less than a week before a big shoot, so I shot about 400 arrows in three days getting dialed in.  I shoot three-under, and fingers stayed numb for a few weeks.  I searched some heavy-bow forums on the topic, and saw folks suggesting a Dura Glove. Ordered one, and the problem went away, as the numbness faded shortly.  It has a cordura layer on the outside with leather underneath.  Still has good feel but without the numbness.

• richard roop

I’ve got an old pamphlet by Dick Young ‘The Best of Let’s Raise Our Score’.

He mentions using a thin tab, another thin tab with the first finger cut off and a glove with just the first finger. Supposed to be the best of both worlds. good protection & good control.

Might be worth a try just to see if it works for you.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.