Home Forums Friends of FOC Nose Dive

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • wojo14
      Post count: 325

      Ok, just finished 6 woodies.

      I bare shafting them to get 190 g heads to fly good.

      They are, except I am getting a nose dive effect.??

      Here is the specs.

      60-65 Douglas Fir tapered

      Cut from Nock valley to cut 28″

      190 g tips.

      584g ( with tip and nock(no feathers yet))

      Caululations from Tuffhead’s web site shows a 33% foc.

      arrows measure 27.25″ from nock valley to BOP.

      And balance point is 4.5″ from center.

      Is this normal? Will feathers correct this?

      🙁

    • Col MikeCol Mike
      Member
      Post count: 910

      This young archer is coming to visit and shoot on Sun. any of you more knowledgeable then me have any advice–heck I’ve got 500gr up front and don’t have nose dive–but then I’m using carbon.

      Mike

    • Vintage Archer
      Member
      Post count: 276

      wojo14 wrote: Ok, just finished 6 woodies.

      I bare shafting them to get 190 g heads to fly good.

      They are, except I am getting a nose dive effect.??

      Here is the specs.

      60-65 Douglas Fir tapered

      Cut from Nock valley to cut 28″

      190 g tips.

      584g ( with tip and nock(no feathers yet))

      Caululations from Tuffhead’s web site shows a 33% foc.

      arrows measure 27.25″ from nock valley to BOP.

      And balance point is 4.5″ from center.

      Is this normal? Will feathers correct this?

      🙁

      wojo14 Try changing you knock position. The dive is not normal unless maybe your arrow is stiff and bouncing off of the shelf.

      Adding feathers will change your FOC measurements (balance point) 33% FOC is extremely high for a wood arrow. I ran your figures in the calculator and it does come out that way but it really does not sound right…Still thinking about that.Any way try your knocking point that would be the easiest.:D

      Ao

    • Vintage Archer
      Member
      Post count: 276

      wojo14 Still hung up on your FOC could you give me the measurement from the deepest part of the knock to the balance point. …….Thanks

    • wojo14
      Post count: 325

      Well, I did play with nock point. I raised it to 5/8 above 90. I never had go above this before.

      Measurements:

      length from nock valley to back of point=27 1/8″

      nock valley to balance point= 18 1/4″

      I did fletch my testers up with a few different style feathers. ALL made the arrows fly great.

      Especially my “new” style 4 1/4″ Pope and Young cuts!

      I think I am getting there!

      I am curious what my FOC is. I was hoping for 20% on these woodies with 190 heads.

      This sound like a good set up for a 51# long bow?

      (I draw 26.5″)

    • wojo14
      Post count: 325

      Mike, cant wait to get together and BS/shoot Sunday!

      I like hanging out with you Old guys! 😀

    • Vintage Archer
      Member
      Post count: 276

      wojo14 wrote: Well, I did play with nock point. I raised it to 5/8 above 90. I never had go above this before.

      Measurements:

      length from nock valley to back of point=27 1/8″

      nock valley to balance point= 18 1/

      (I draw 26.5″)

      wojo14

      5/8 ” above might be higher than normal for your set up but not extreme.If it correct problem

      Using your actual measurement figures the calculated FOC is 17.2811…I think we got screwed up measuring from center. Knock to balance point and arrow length are the figures to be plugged into the calculator:D

    • wojo14
      Post count: 325

      Joe,

      That sounds better!

      When I did the math before my builds, I was hoping to get close to 20%.

      17is not too bad for wood.

      This should be good for the white tails this fall!

      😀

      I will be ordering some meatheads off you soon. I never used single bevel, but what I have been reading, looks like the way to go!

    • Stephen Graf
      Moderator
      Post count: 2359

      wojo14 wrote: Mike, cant wait to get together and BS/shoot Sunday!

      I like hanging out with you Old guys! 😀

      That sounds like a lot of fun! Now if there was a beer involved, then it would be my favorite thing to do (at least with my cloths on :shock:)

    • Col MikeCol Mike
      Member
      Post count: 910

      Steve

      Yep we had a great time. Wojo is so enthusiastic it’s a pleasure to be in the woods with him. Had another “old guy” friend with us today–nice to have those younguns shag arrows in the brush:D. It appears that I have a weekend shooting buddy–perhaps in later years he can push my wheel chair down the trail:lol:

      Alas no beer at the end–a little early for happy hour even for me.:shock:

      Mike

    • wojo14
      Post count: 325

      Mike, I would gladly push your wheelchair into your hunting spot! But who you kidding, you still got lots of life left in those old legs! Lol:lol:

      Seriously tho, I had a ton of fun. I am looking forward to many more fun shooting times and some hunting!

      I will bring you some more targets next time.

    • wojo14
      Post count: 325

      Oh, and as for the beer, I had enough for the two of us last night. Good Burbon and craft beer!8)

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.