Home Forums Campfire Forum My first deer…..EVER!!!

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • Author

I shot my first deer, ever, this morning. I got into my stand at about 6:45 this morning. At around 7:45 I was standing up in my stand with my bow in my hand and I heard some leaves rustle. I looked down to my right, and there were two Does only ten yards from my tree coming my way. I slowly turned, kept “yelling” at myself in my head to “pick a spot”, drew and released. My shot was perfect. It buried itself halfway up the fletches. She ran off about thirty five yards, stopped, staggered and dropped with me watching her. I couldn’t believe it, everything came together perfectly. I was using my Brother-in-Laws Shakespeare Ocala 60″ 50# recurve. The arrows are Easton full metal jackets 400 spine. The broadheads were my Dads Bear Razorheads. The limb covers were my Fathers. I had really hoped to take my first deer with my Dads Black Widow recurve but it delaminated a month and a half ago. This wasn’t my Dads bow, but he did pick it for my Brother-in-law. I felt connected with my Father through this whole process. I hope this is the first of many.

• epenfold

congrats on the deer and good shooting.

• strait-aero

Congratulations on your deer,Jay and a good tale you had to give us. Sorry to hear about your Dad’s bow delaminating. Hope this is the first of many for you. Good luck in your future hunts.
      Wayne:D

• David Petersen

Fantastic, Jay. Makes me hungry just looking at that healthy doe. Dave

• Br549

Outstanding Jay, what a beautiful doe. Congradulations on your first deer, and I am sure there will be many more to come. Good luck on the rest of the season, I hope you fill all your tags. Chris

• jaytbuzzard

We just finished eating supper a little while ago and it consisted of rice, beans and incredibly tender venison tenderloins from my Doe.:D That was the first time we had ever had venison tenderloins. It was delicious. The Samual Adams Octoberfest made it that much better. I can’t wait to try some more of the venison after it ages for a while.

• Steve Sr.

Enjoy each bite and a lifetime memory of a job well done.

Few will ever stand out as much as the first one!

Congrats!!! Love the old bow usage!!

God Bless
      Steve Sr.

• Stephen Graf

And you shot her on one of the very best days we’ve had here in NC this year. Beautiful weather raises the spirits even higher!

Good Job. Good Shot.

• Raymond Coffman

Jay T —
      Well Done —
      I am Glad you got her with the Ocala [ I shot my first with my Ocala]looks like a great shot also
      Scout

• bruc

Good Shooting Jay !!
      Looks like the shot couldn’t have been better !!

• tailfeather

Wonderful, sir. Congrats! That meal sounds like a helluva nice celebration.

• lee

Awesome! Looks like back straps in butter for breakfast! I love the old bow too, old warriors can still fight!!!

• Dpowers311

Congratulations

Dave

• shawhill

Way to go! I hope I have the same luck/skill combo this saturday (opener for western NY). Best of luck on the rest of your first season!
      ~Dan

• Crookedstick

Congratulations!!! Great memories!

Bernie

• blacktail

that will be a deer you will never forget…that is great work making meat with stick and string…john

• Papa06

Great job on a nice doe!!

• roninrus1

Congradulations!!!!
      That’s the way to take your first.
      Stick & string will be the only way you want to hunt now!!

• JEMBO

Family, tradition, appreciation, success… this is what it’s reall all about. Congratulations!

• anointedarcher

Very Cool, congrats on the nice deer!

• Vintage Archer

Congratulation!:)That is a memory you will never forget.I am sure it is the first of many!

• David Coulter

Congratulations! I remember the story of your dad’s bow giving out. Your heart is certainly in the right place and you are well rewarded. Enjoy! dwc

• George Tsoukalas

That’s great! Congratulations! Jawge

• Bruce Smithhammer

Well done, JayT!!! She sure looks tasty…

• kellydockter

congrats.

• William Warren

Great shot and great story, JayT. Hope you have many more.

Duncan

• Todd Smith

Congrats!! Nice shot!!

• jsimon

Nice job keeping a cool head,I’ve shot an aweful lot of deer and once i decide to draw that bow… its like a stress test!

Congradulations, you could not have hit it any better. Great shot,and many more!
    • Brennan Herr

Nice shooting…congrats

• jaytbuzzard

Thanks for all of the kind words guys. I had a small buck come into about six yards yesterday. The deer caught me by surprise, sitting down with my bow in my hand. Even though I didn’t get a shot, it was awesome sitting there watching that beautiful animal. What a great day in the woods.

• Yononindo

Congratulations from Europe !!!!!

• Moreton

Congatulations, mate, well done!

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.