Home Forums Bows and Equipment How we sharpen our broadheads.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Now that hunting season is almost here,I thought I would start a thread on what we like to use to sharpen our broad heads.Ive tried other methods ,including the popular kme sharpening system but I seem to always go back to a diamond stone and homemade strop.Perhaps this is to my advantage being better prepared to sharpen in the field.

attached fileattached file
    • Steve Capps

I start with a file then finish with a diamond steel.

• Col MikeCol Mike

KME, but then I’m just walking out the back door to hunt. If I had to travel guess I would explore some touch up methods. But those tuffheads really hold the edge.

• Ptaylor

Yeah KME to get them ready for the season. But I carry a pocket diamond stone if I need to touch them up in the field on longer trips.

I just watched an old Fred Bear hunt, and they show the hunters sitting around camp putting the final sharpening strokes on their broad heads with… files.

• Patrick

I use Eclipse broadheads. To sharpen them, I use the Arrow Grabber to secure the arrow and broadhead and sharpen it with a file, and then finish it off with a leather strop.

• Stephen Graf

I bought the grinding wheel sharpening system from the Abowyer website.

30 seconds to crazy sharp.

I have a diamond hone for the field, but I’ve only ever used it on knives. Haven’t had to resharpened a broadhead in the field yet.

I figure if I’m shoot’n so bad I have to resharpen a broadhead to shoot again, I’m going home and drink whiskey. I can’t hardly screw that up 😳

• grumpygrumpy

File, then a stone (Smiths), then a 600 grit stone, then strop (which is a piece of belt leather). Not to the point where I am shaving my arm, but I’m close.

• David Becker

I’m using a file, a Spyderco Sharpmaker, and then a strop with stropping compound.

The strop and compound took things to a whole ‘nother level of sharp. Before, I could get stuff sharp enough to shave/scrape hair off my arm, but with the strop I got my Grizzlys sharp enough they just slicked hair off. I really probably could shave my face with them.

I think the Sharpmaker is technically off by a couple degrees, but it didn’t seem to matter.

I did take a 6″ piece of hard wood dowel, drilled a hole in it and put a screw in insert in it. It was handier than sharpening the broadheads while they were mounted on a 31″ arrow.

• Stephen Graf

Wose wrote:

I did take a 6″ piece of hard wood dowel, drilled a hole in it and put a screw in insert in it. It was handier than sharpening the broadheads while they were mounted on a 31″ arrow.

Might consider just using a cut off piece of arrow for that tool. One of these days, that wood dowel might give out on you at the wrong moment, causing some personal harm 😯

• Jason Wesbrock

I lay a mill file on a table and draw the head down the file, much like you’d sharpen a Snuffer. After rolling burs I switch to a fine ceramic crock stick. Start to finish it taken maybe a minute or two per head.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.