Home Forums Campfire Forum How far is a 'score' ????

• Author

Been thumbing thru my latest book, ‘With Bended Bow’, Archery In Medieval And Renaissance Europe. by Erik Roth.  Looks like it’s going to be an interesting read, but I keep noticing distance given as xx score. As in …………

Full fifteen score your mark shall be

Full fifteen score shall stand

I lay my bow, said Clifton then

We cleave the willow wand.

Robin Hood and Queen Katherine.

So …………………… does anybody know how far a ‘score’ is ?????

Thanx !!!

• Raymond CoffmanRaymond Coffman

Richard

Wikipedia says a score is A unit of measure denoting 20 ( checked to verify my memory, which is suspect these days – haha) it can be time or distance – 20 of anything –

“4 score and 7 yrs” is 87 yrs. Gettysburg address – time since declaration of independence for instance.

In England ( what is the authors nationality? ) it could be yards or rods (5.5 ft)

Scout aka Ray

• RalphRalph

“4 score and 7 yrs” is 87 yrs.

That be a record for a flight shoot… :-)))

I still got 13 years before that arrow lands “I shot an arrow in the air, where it lands I know not where”…

Doc Nock told me I was full of wisdom this morning.

Me, I’m thinking it’s more like full of ****.

• richard roop

Ok……………… Possibly 15 score might be 300 paces ???

Richard

Yes – 300 yds very possibly – extreme range for the longbow from my historical readings or :

Score just means 20 of whatever – 15score yards = 300 — 15 score feet = 300ft / 100yds – I think – haha, best I can figure –

Scout aka Ray

• RalphRalph

I used a popular search engine and ask “what distance is a score?”

I guarantee what we are sharing, sensible or my nonsense, make way better sense than what came up on my computer.

So I’m outta here with a score being twenty of whatever you have twenty of IMHO…or what you are tallying on a score card/board.

Andrew Jackson figured out what a score of dollars is.  . :-))

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by Ralph.

Ralph

Yea, it’s interesting that the computer search engines don’t give a very definitive answer – score is kind of an enigma -good to have a few of those hanging around.

Scout aka Ray

• KeesKees

I am always amazed that they were shooting at a willow wand.  Read that recently also in “Witchery of Archery”, as also referenced in the poem in the opening post.  That would be hard to see at 300 yards….

Kees

Thanks for the comment, googled it and found reference to medieval archery –  tgts and ranges —

A  willow wand* apparently was a wood tgt 6ft tall by 6 inches wide ( aprox) often at 100yds ( 15 score ft?)   I also saw a mention and map of Finsbury Fields an area in London used for archery in the 1400s that had tgts ranging out to 345 yds—

* one source said this was thought to represent a castle shooting opening ( loophole/ arrow firing slit —

Scout aka Ray

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.