Home Forums Bows and Equipment Glove vs tab…

• Author

Hi everybody,

is it realy so much difference in shooting with a glove or a tab?

I think my shooting needs an improvement, but I don´t know really what to change. My thought now is maybe I should change from tab to glove. Ok, sound reasonable, but which kind of glove? I am sure I will not go for the most expensive one and not for the cheapest, either.

But the middle is so big that I am confused, Please give me some advise.

Thanks

Winny

• RalphRalph

Winny, it’s hard to give a definitive answer on glove or tab because it’s such an individual thing.

Me, I shoot both but normally I grab my old glove and go for it.

Some gloves, the third finger has a tendency to hang a bit and it’ll make me shoot left some (I’m right handed).

I like my old plain and simple Neet brand gloves. They’re not too thick nor to thin. I have several all worn and broke in. I keep one stuck in places so when I forget my glove I’ve got one:-))

But…………………there are days when nothing is working, I’ll grab a tab, things work beautiful and I wonder why I don’t shoot this all the time.

Most of my tabs are homemade.

My advice, such as it is, would be to find a glove that not real thin nor too thick and like you mentioned, not high priced and give it a try.

To me, settling into an anchor with the finger of a glove in the corner of my mouth is natural. But that’s the way I started when I was 14-15 years old and that’s been a spell…..

The bow in the pic….gift for my wife years ago but now I’m enjoying the heck outta the 40# bow.

I was gonna steal it from her but she said I can “borrow it” anytime.

Reese? Reese Field was the origin of Great Plains Bows.

• aeronut

I started out with a tab 52 years ago.  Somewhere along the line I bought a Neet glove and haven’t used a tab since.  I’ve tried several gloves and settled on Damascus gloves.  They are not expensive and like Ralph, I have several around.

Even during the years I shot compounds I used a Damascus glove.  I refused to use a release because if I’m going to pull a trigger it will be attached to a gun.  I even got rid of the sights.

• Stephen Graf

Making your own glove turns out to be a fun thing to do and really improves the fit and function, imo.

Store bought gloves never really fit your fingers right.  And the cost can start to add up.  I thought making a glove would be really hard, but it wasn’t too bad.

A couple finger stalls were made before I got the sizing/shape figured out.  But for the cost of a Saturday afternoon I had a nice glove made.

The glove I made is a hybrid between the neet glove and a hill glove.  What’s nice about it is that it fits MY fingers.  Having everything we need available to us at the click of a button helps us forget that if we do it for ourselves, we can end up with something better.

I have found that tuning my glove is as important as tuning my arrows, or my bow.  If you are bent crafty, consider making your own 🙂

• Jacob Roser

Me personally I feel like nothing beats a good cordovan tab. I get a very nice release with them. Now with that said it took me a few years to finally figure out that I was using tabs that were way to big. Once I went to a way smaller tab and ones that had spacers my shooting improved greatly along with no pain on extended shooting sessions.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.