Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,276 through 1,290 (of 2,568 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • David Petersen
    Member
      Post count: 2749

      Carbons I buy from Archery Past as bare shafts with choice of nocks and brass inserts, CE250s at about $43 per half dozen. I’ll go with Jason’s estimate of feather costs and guesstimate $50 per half-dozen for finished arrows, not counting the points, which can vary from a few cents to many dollars each. I currently have a half-dozen semi-custom Sitka spruce arrows on order from Fletcher, clear finished, nothing fancy, with 4×2″ feathers. No idea what they will cost, but it’s worth it in my search for a EFOC woody set-up. Likely the cheapest arrows are aluminum, but they are very limiting insofar as you can’t get brass inserts for most sizes.

      To answer your direct question — what does a dozen finished arrow go for — I have no idea since I’ve not bought finished arrows in years or decades. Too much fun “making” them and a big savings.

      David Petersen
      Member
        Post count: 2749
        in reply to: Helle knife kit #53484

        You need to call who you bought the kit from. Any kit should come with detailed assembnly instructions. I have built a couple of knives from Helle blades, but I just bought the blades, very cheap, and made my own handles, one from antler, the other Osage. One point I’m not sure if folks are aware of is that Helle makes two basic types of blade: solid carbon steel, and 3-layer stainless. I have both and while the carbon blades are excellent for carbon blades, it’s the sandwiched stainless that earns all the kudos for staying sharp forever. You can always return the kit, save you pennies and buy a finished knife. Best luck …

        David Petersen
        Member
          Post count: 2749
          in reply to: New arrows!! #52752

          Comfy — While others here may be, I’m not familiar with those arrows (I’m really a woody guy who has been co-opted ad hoc to carbon for all their advantages, while continuing to work toward a wood that gets the jobs EFOC done without excess weight). In any event, with any shaft, it’s the same drill: get your hands on some target points in various weights — they’re now available up to 300 grains if you shop around– and incrementally add heavier points until arrow flight shows weak spine. At that point you can back off to the heaviest that shoot perfectly from your bow and current arrows, or cut a bit of shaft length if you have extra, which will allow for even more weight up front, or move up to heavier spined shafts. Several mail-order trad supply houses sell field point “test kits” just for this purpose. Enjoy …

          David Petersen
          Member
            Post count: 2749
            in reply to: Paper tuning #52432

            Doug, if I recall, you shoot 3 under? That’s the first thing I would try–switching to split-finger. And for hunting I predict the day will come when you cuss that elevated rest. Arrow flight, all set up for hunting, should be perfect, flawless, before anything else. In the old days we’d just stick on more feathers. These days, we’re learning to fine tune. You might give Milt a call. He’s out of the archery business but the best archery coach I’ve ever known and would likely welcome you over for a session. Hang in and when you get it right you’ll know it was worth the trouble. Short version: perfect arrow flight is mandatory and we can’t settle for less. Because of what is happening you are focusing on nock position, when in fact you may have a basic mismatch with your current arrows. Hang in, Dave

            David Petersen
            Member
              Post count: 2749
              in reply to: New arrows!! #52423

              RW — you’re halfway there! Indeed, raw weight is the single most important (non broadhead related) factor in good penetration. But beyond what Dr. Ed Ashby in his studies identifies as the “minimum heavy bone thresshold” of 650 grains, forward weight balance (FOC) takes over. Thus, at some point you might want to return to your light carbon shafts and start stacking weight on the front end. So, let’s say you have a total weight of 550 grains with your 2017s including 125 point. For fun, weigh your carbon shafts, let’s say 300 grains. Thus, in order to get back up to the 550 you need 250 grains up front. Good overall weight and high FOC not only provide great penetration, but a quiet bow, no hand shock, and enhanced accuracy. You simply have to try it to appreciate it. A problem with aluminums is that it’s hard to impossible to find heavy brass inserts, which is necessary for good FOC. For example, for deer I shoot 300-grain carbon shafts with 125-grain brass inserts, 147-grain two-blade broadheads with 100-grain screw-in adapters. For elk I add another 150 grains up front. In both cases they fly straight with minimal increased trajectory, and sail through deer and elk like butter. Just some stuff to kick around for future experimentation. For now, you’re absolutely on the right track. 😀

              David Petersen
              Member
                Post count: 2749
                in reply to: Mother Earth News #52408

                Actually, Steve, it was the boy’s first fish — he caught and

                “landed” it, but wasn’t quite ready to hold it for the camera. He’s long had an Osage longbow on his wall, gradually growing toward being able to shoot it. 😀

                Biggest fish I ever caught was an 80lb. bluefin, off the Caroline Outer Banks. In fresh water it was a 25lb mud cat, when I was a teen. At least the tuna was edible.

                David Petersen
                Member
                  Post count: 2749
                  in reply to: Mother Earth News #51630

                  For anyone who’s interested, here’s a direct link to the article online: http://www.motherearthnews.com/nature-community/wild-meat-zm0z12fmzalt.aspx

                  Nicely off-setting the uninformed emotional letters from vegans against my “Why I Eat Wild Meat” article in Mother Earth News, this one just came in. I share it here because I learned a few useful things from the thoughtful writer and thought you might be interested:

                  Dear Mother;

                  Bravo for publishing “Why I Eat Wild Meat” in your most recent issue. I have always been puzzled listening to committed locavores bragging to their friends about their favorite source of free-range, grass-fed, organic, local beef, but turning up their noses at the thought of taking to the local woods to humanely harvest a healthier, arguably better-tasting, more sustainable, and much less expensive meat source. David Petersen’s article was spot-on for why wild game should be a staple in any omnivore’s pantry, but he missed two reasons why harvesting wild game is also good for society (vegetarians and omnivores alike). According to the University of Michigan, 14.8 pounds of CO2 is released per pound of beef. When compared with driving 200 miles to my nearest forest to harvest a cow elk that yields 175 pounds of lean meat, I’m releasing only 1.3 pounds of CO2 per pound of elk. My hunting trip prevented more than 2,360 pounds of CO2 from being released into everyone’s atmosphere. Second, a demand for large amounts of harvestable wild game (not just a few animals in zoos and national parks to look at) requires large amounts of wild land to supply it. Wild game demand translates directly into the creation and protection of more public lands. In the private sector, ranchers who can profit from letting hunters use their land provides incentive to keep private lands wild rather than intensively farmed/grazed or developed. It’s time we all start bragging again about wild game.

                  Colby Barrett

                  Grand Junction, CO

                  David Petersen
                  Member
                    Post count: 2749

                    Until a few years ago, income (lack thereof) forced me to own only one bow at a time, and in some ways it was a blessing because when I started building bows suddenly I had half a dozen or more at any time, with that many different draw weights and shooting characterists, and had to make arrows to match each. That constant switching around, while great fun, just ruined my accuracy. Now I’m down to three bows and have no plans to dump or add any unless forced by age or injury to lower draw weight: a r/d longbow, an old recurve, and an osage selfbow, all three close in draw range but not quite close enough to shoot the same arrows. The Shrew longbow gets by far the most use, followed by the Osage.

                    David Petersen
                    Member
                    Member
                      Post count: 2749
                      in reply to: Meat grinder blues #51383

                      After checking on various good tips here and shopping around, I’ve ordered a new hand grinder that gets 4+ stars from users. And it’s cheap. If I’d know I could possibly order new cutting plates, I would have looked into that angle, but I’ve already tossed the old grinder. As you can see, I’m a fairly inexperienced and amateur consumer. 😳 Thanks again, Dave

                      David Petersen
                      Member
                      Member
                        Post count: 2749
                        in reply to: Meat grinder blues #50669

                        Thanks for all the good tips, amigos. Dave

                        David Petersen
                        Member
                          Post count: 2749

                          Troy — Is there a direct hot link so we can send it to friends? Thanks, dave

                          David Petersen
                          Member
                          Member
                            Post count: 2749
                            in reply to: Meat grinder blues #49547

                            Well then, maybe I just need a new hand-cranker. As I said, it was mushing the meat more than cutting it. Anyone had this experience? I’m always delighted when something works just fine without electricity, like a hand-crank ice cream maker, yum.

                            David Petersen
                            Member
                              Post count: 2749
                              in reply to: Native Finds #49543

                              Not to steer the topic off this happy course, but in the current issue of TBM a writer who is chasing muleys at timberline on public land boasts of finding two perfect arrowheads and keeping them. I’m not saying what I would or would not do in the same circumstance (:twisted:), but only reminding folks that taking artifacts from public land is a federal offense and probably best not boasted in public.

                              Me, I’m cursed for lithic relecs. Growing up in Okie I went to school with Indians and camped and hunted on the property of Indians (“reservation” there is sort of a meaningless term) and found oodles of buffalo skulls and bones, but never once found a complete lithic point. One friend found a whole pile of arrowheads, made from several different types stone, dozens, and all brand new, in his father’s plowed field. (He figured they had been made and buried as a spiritual or ceremonial offering, probably in a leather pouch that had long since rotted away.) And so on. Been with friends several times when they found them, but the best I’ve found are broken heads. This reminds me I need to add this to my bucket list. And might as well go for the gold: a Clovis or Folsom spear point. Feel free to send me maps to redhot areas for such. I won’t tell a soul. :P:D

                              David Petersen
                              Member
                                Post count: 2749

                                Well you get a gold star for this one, Troy! Man, how amazing; almost unbelievable. Even my wife will enjoy and be astounded by this one, and she’s not an archer.

                                Things I noted through the various shots: How the feathers flopped like dishrags, how in at least one shot the arrow continued turning after impact and well into the target (appears to be lots of helical at work there), the extreme wave-like flexibility of the shaft in paradox (I had thought the cartoonist who drew the Disney cartoon paradox (featured in another thread here) had way overdone it, but obviously not), and how the first few arrows demonstrated not just a single bend to the right, but several bends-and-recoveries timed in cycle with shaft rotation. Bottom line, I don’t have a clue what I can take away from all of this to make me a better archer, but it’s always tremendously interesting to see the “invisible reality” at work within the laws of physics. Even the music was fun. 😀 Thanks for sharing, Dave

                                David Petersen
                                Member
                                  Post count: 2749
                                  in reply to: NEW TO TRADITIONAL #49167

                                  Hi Stick, and welcome here. I always advise new trad shooters and hunters to pick up a copy of T.J. Conrads’ Traditional Bowhunter’s Handbook, an excellent general primer. Enjoy your new bow, Dave

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,276 through 1,290 (of 2,568 total)