Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 422 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • aeronut
    Member
      Post count: 465
      in reply to: Arrow Selection #44128

      I also have a small supply of Ipe shafts. If the broadhead doesn’t do the job the sheer weight of the shaft will knock out whatever it hits.

      Dennis

      aeronut
      Member
        Post count: 465
        in reply to: Arrow Selection #43247

        Greatreearcher wrote: They are better than aluminum, and wood together and are cheaper. They are 53 buck a dozen bare. I have missed wabbits, and hit pure concrete blocks before, and the arrow came away clean. Try doing that with aluminum or wood. I know that wood likes to break when you hit a piece of hard wood! Just speaking from experience.

        Wow. I was selling hardwood shafts waaaayyy to cheap. I don’t know what kind of wood shafts you were shooting but I have never broken a Hickory shaft.

        Dennis

        aeronut
        Member
          Post count: 465

          Even though it isn’t politically correct I still say

          MERRY CHRISTMAS!

          and if anybody is offended by that, too bad.

          Dennis

          aeronut
          Member
          Member
            Post count: 465

            [quote=Bow-Cephus]is the core left the full length and has the riser attached. Or does the core split on both top and bottom of the riser to wrap around it in some way.

            Maybe this will help. If you look at the riser side view picture you can see the layers. From the top it is: glass, Walnut, Hickory, Hickory, riser, Hickory, Walnut, glass. Each of the glass lams are one continuous piece running full length of the bow. The Walnut and Hickory lams start out 3′ long and are super glued together in an overlapping (scarf) joint. If you look close you can see the joint on the top Hickory lam to the left of the pencil line.

            Dennis

            aeronut
            Member
              Post count: 465

              My arrows are all wood (or grass–bamboo)and I don’t plan on changing. I shoot both Poplar and Hickory and have yet to break a Hickory shaft on anything.

              Dennis

              aeronut
              Member
                Post count: 465

                Hi Mark.

                I took the picture of Doc in freefall and was hoping for a picture of me too. I was kind of bummed because his camera malfunctioned and I didn’t get a picture.

                The cub was a relaxing way to travel. With a small headwind you could watch cars pass you on the highway below. The only real excitement was some of the crosswind landings.:shock:

                Dennis

                aeronut
                Member
                  Post count: 465

                  Mine came along in 1977 when I got my pilot’s license. I had a personalized license plate on my car and could use only seven letters. It fit because I love to fly.

                  This was my get-away machine. 1941 Piper J5A Cub Cruiser.

                  I took this picture of my skydiving instructor over Baxter Springs, Ks. in 1977.

                  Dennis

                  aeronut
                  Member
                    Post count: 465
                    in reply to: Wood Arrows???? #26702

                    Besides Rivercane and Bamboo wood arrows are all I shoot. I use Poplar and Hickory. I have bounced Hickory shafts off of many things and have never broken one yet. I’ve never even considered buying any carbon shafts.

                    The deer in my avatar picture fell to a Bamboo shaft.

                    Dennis

                    aeronut
                    Member
                      Post count: 465
                      in reply to: Rain Gear #24569

                      I’m like MontanaFord and usually head for the truck. I refuse to shoot at any game while it is raining.

                      If I happen to be a fair distance from the truck I put on an ’emergency poncho’ from Wally-World, basically a trash bag with a hood. Cheap and it works.

                      Dennis

                      aeronut
                      Member
                        Post count: 465
                        in reply to: spline tester #24557

                        I have one made by Kevin Gerlock. I don’t know if he still makes them or not but he used to be on TradGang with the handle ‘cupcake’. I used it the most when I was making and selling shafts and I have spine tested literally thousands of Poplar and Hickory shafts with it. I also have a Don Adams and one that I made with an aluminum frame and dial indicator. I use my home made one to cross reference the others.

                        Dennis

                        aeronut
                        Member
                          Post count: 465

                          I have nothing against the people who choose to hunt with a rifle as long as it is legal. I do have issues with the methods some of these ‘hunters’ use. There are a lot of road hunters around here along with the trespassers who will do anything to get a deer. And although it is legal here,I do not like deer drives.

                          aeronut
                          Member
                            Post count: 465

                            I think it is called the ‘snort-wheeze’ and I’ve heard it one time in the woods. I watched a big buck do that just before he started stiff-leg walking toward a slightly smaller buck. He got the total attention of the smaller buck when he did that and he looked quite intimidated by it.

                            Dennis

                            aeronut
                            Member
                              Post count: 465

                              I like that picture. I have a 16′ that is the most comfortable camping I have done. I’ve never been able to build a fire inside without choking myself half to death on the smoke though.

                              Dennis

                              aeronut
                              Member
                                Post count: 465
                                in reply to: God's Dog… #55318

                                I have read that the indians referred to them as ‘Song Dog’ and brother coyote.

                                Around here there was three groups of guys that hunted coyotes with dogs. One bunch just chased and seldom shot any and the others shot every one they could. A lot of coyotes were shot every weekend and quail and rabbit numbers were high in this area then.

                                Because of fuel costs there hasn’t been any hunts like that for several years and the coyote numbers are sky high. It is a rare occasion to see or hear any quail around here now.

                                I have seen first hand what coyotes can and will do to a newborn calf and a cow that is in labor. I personally will shoot at every one I see but hold no misgivings at all for others who don’t.

                                I listen to their singing every night and quite often they are close, and like David said, they are trying to lure our dogs out of their pen.

                                How close do they get? When I leave for work and see coyote poop in my driveway, that’s too close.:shock: They are losing their fear of man, and that ain’t a good thing.

                                Dennis

                                aeronut
                                Member
                                  Post count: 465
                                  in reply to: Traditional events #37896

                                  Hi Bill,

                                  The main one I go to is OJAM–Oklahoma Selfbow Jamboree–held near Stillwater, Ok in March. We do it during spring break so kids can come with their parents.

                                  Here is a link to a slideshow/video I did of last March. OJAM V.

                                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvQAO9araDc

                                  Dennis

                                Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 422 total)