Home Forums Bows and Equipment You Favorite Broadhead and why ?

Viewing 69 reply threads
  • Author

“MEN”
        Ive been shooting the Zwickey 4 blader since I was 12 years old,My Dad used them for many years also and he always told me that fixing things that are NOT broken always cost you extra money and time in the end.
        The Zwickey 4 bladed broadheads have always penetrated awesomely for me leaving great blood trails and easier recovery of deer, I haven,t used a different Head in 33 years and My Son had his first trad.kill this year using a Zwickey I think hes sold also.
        Tj

• Jesse Minish

I have been a Zwickey man myself for years but am going to give the Eclipse heads a chance this year. I put some on my wifes arrows a couple years back and they seem to hold a real good edge.

• Patrick

Mine will soon be the Alaska Bowhunting Supply Ashby.

Oops, I forgot to say why. I like the idea of a single piece of steel…no aluminum. I like the longer profile for more penetration. It’s a single bevel broadhead, but that has nothing to do with my decision.

• JeffHowell

I use Zwickey Eskimos and have no plans to change.

• JeffHowell

An SMTP error message caused me to make two entries. Darn transfer protocols.

• RAGMAN

I agree with the quality of the zwickey. I must say that I prefer the STOS.It was the greater weight choices that made me go to it. I find that on my 30.5 inch arrows that 145 to 160 grain heads make the arrows more stable. If zwickey made a 160 grain delta i would shoot it. But I must tell you that those stos are bad to the bone.

• tracker26

since im new at bow hunting i dont have a favorite but i am looking for sugestions on a good solid broadhead. any ideas?

the newby, dayton

• RAGMAN

Tracker I have no idea what your needs are. I will assume that you need a glue on and I will recomend a zwickey or a magnus. If you need a screw on there are a lot to chose from but again a magnus stinger is a good screw in head. also a muzzy phantom is a good head. These are good heads to start with and later you may find something that pleases you more.

• eric

Personally I like the zwickey black diamond. They shoot great, and are pretty darn sharp. Mine are 115 grain on 5/16″ shafts.:D

Eric

• Buckhorn73

I have been a Grizzly type broadhead fan for many years but am just starting to take a liking to the single bevel heads from Abowyer which have the back end sharpened and tanto tip. For me it is a broadhead which will work and shoot well with wooden arrows. For some reason I have trouble with the three and four blade heads, although I keep experimenting with them, since there are situations which definitely call for that type of head. For consistent and reliable performance, however, my choice still remains with the Grizzly on a wood shaft.

• tracker65

I am a big fan of the Eclipse 2 blade 125. Very nice steel, holds a very sharp edge, still easy to sharpen, penetrates well. Shot through 2 P&Y black bears and a cougar so far.:D

• 3blades

I use the Montec G5 just because the sales guy was there and I didn’t know anything else about broadheads. It did the job just fine on my first deer last year and she dropped 50yrds from a lucky heart shot. 😀

• Carl

i have used the zephyr scirocco in the past and have no complaints – but i am now considering a single bezel head, maybe the grizzly or the new zwickey – on that subject, i saw an ad in tbm for a eclipse single bezel but have not been able to find it anywhere – has anyone found it or used it? carl

• Jered

The Ace Standard is a classic design and tough as nails. I’ve tried others but always go back to the Ace. An added bonus is price. 6 for around $20.

• Edwardson

I started out in 1972 using Bear Razor Heads but the old “Green” heads are getting pretty scarce. In ’82 I switched to Zwicky Deltas and still own a few. Easy to sharpen and keep sharp, tough, durable. I found them to produce excellent blood trails as long as I did my part. What more could you ask for?
                                    Well a 160 grain head for one. In ’05 I tried and liked the 160 grain Ace Standard. I believe they are tougher than the Delta and just as easy to sharpen, coupled with the bonus of the added weight, they proved to be an excellant head. Being a resident of Illinois it seemed poetic to shoot a broadhead made in Illinois and Mr Mayo is a fine, fine gentleman.

• Milhouse

Right now, I really like the Magnus Stinger 4 blade, 150 grain BH. I would love to shoot Wensel Woodsmens, but I can’t sharpen them to save my soul.

• Hubertus

Carl, you asked about the eclipse single bevel heads?
                                        The only place I’ve been able to find them is on the eclipse website. (I’ve been considering them myself.)

• Raider2000

I’ve only relied on 3 different broadheads.

Magnus, which now I’m trying out the Snuffer screw in on my Aluminum Eastons, I like Magnus because they have been around for years & like Zwicky have always made a solid no nonsence product that works.

Muzzy, my first ever bowkill was with a 125gr Muzzy 3 blade & they are just tough as nails.

G5 Montec, like the Magnus they are tough, no nonsence & work wonderfully in taking game but I only use these in muy compound.

• Anaconda Pintler

I started using the Old Bear greenies then switched to 160 gr Snuffer and have never had any trouble with either of these heads. Like many of you I have also tried many other types from time to time and always fould myself coming back to one of these tried and true heads! I have recently been hunting with stone heads and selfbows and believe it or not when put in the ribcage the stones are just as deadly and cause just as much blood loss as steel! I was truly impressed with their effectiveness but whether it is steel or stone they have to sharp and they have to put in the goods so limit the shots and keep them sharp!

• MontanaFord

Milhouse wrote: Right now, I really like the Magnus Stinger 4 blade, 150 grain BH. I would love to shoot Wensel Woodsmens, but I can’t sharpen them to save my soul.

Milhouse, the best way that I’ve found to sharpen the Wensel broadheads is with a flat stone such as the guys at Montec make. It’s got 2 grits to it, one on each side. Lay the head flat on the stone, cover that one upright blade with a piece of thick cloth and keeping and even pressure all the way around, push it steadily forward across the stone. I do this about 10-15 times, then rotate the blade one turn on the stone, and repeat, then rotate and repeat again. I do this until the blade faces are completely smooth, as I didn’t like the rough look that they had from the factory. Often, I will set the stone on a paper towel or piece of cloth to keep it from sliding on the table. Hope this helps.

MontanaFord

• Van/TX

They are hard to beat:)

Except for these :shock::lol:…Van

• crittergitter

wensel woodsmans love them one of the easiest to sharpen about 20 minutes per head.wear gloves hold the head by one blade with two blades on the top use a fine hard diamond or ceramic hone strok it slowly but steadily keeping the hone flat on both blades rotate ever few strokes never do more than 15 strokes on one set of blades with out rotating,i to had trouble with sharpening them,but then got on the website and find whate they say to be true the biggest most common mistake is trying to hard.ps if you can sharpen a single bevel you can sharpen these,mine will shave better than your rasors.field report 60 pound hog bad hit in spine i thaught but i discovered when he didnt move that his spine was more than half severed.the next day after resharpening the same head i shot cleanly through a 170 pouner .

• fireball shooter

I vote for Wensel Woodsmans too. They fly great and sharpen easy when you follow the advice above. The new ones have a better grind out of the package. With the old ones I spent more time running them down a file with 2 blades flat and rotating – same sharp results just took a little longer.

They are really chewing up my foam target like no 2 blade would…. and flying true right where I am looking.

• donpatch

I really liked the Woodsmans as well, until I lost an elk that was hit perfectly behind the shoulder quartering away from me. I got about 8 inches of penetration with my 55 lb. recurve shooting 450gr. goldtip arrows with a woodsman. I was so upset that I almost gave up traditional archery after 20 years. That is when I really started looking into the reasons why this happened and starting reading everything that Dr. Ashby has written about broadhead penetration. Anyway, my choice now is single bevel broadheads with long tapers and heavy weight. I personally am shooting 190 grain Grizzlies with a total arrow weight of 650 grains. If money was no object, I would be shooting the Ashby from Alaska Bowhunters supply.

I think Woodsmans are fine for deer but for heavy boned animals like elk or moose, I would seriously look at a heavy single bevel broadhead.

Just my two cents.

Don

• MontanaFord

Don,

Is there any chance you may have gotten into the shoulder blade of that elk? I know that in itself will act like body armor for the animal. And you said it was a 450 grain arrow? Why so light if you’re now shooting 650 grain arrows? The weight may have had something to do with it as well. Just some thoughts I had while reading your post.

MontanaFord

P.S. I also shoot a 55# recurve, though with my draw length, I add a little weight, but I shoot roughly 590 grain arrows, including the 150 grains of the screw-in Wensels.

• donpatch

Montana,

No, there really was no chance that I hit the shoulder on this one. I stalked him for 45 minutes until I was at a little over 20 yards and made one of the best shots of my life. It hit about 2 inches behind the elbow and a little higher than the elbow and it was a quartering away shot that should have punched both lungs. It made a loud crack when it hit so it had to have centerpunched a rib, that is all that is in that area of an elk. Anyway, the reason I was shooting an arrow so light was that I never really gave it much thought before this happened. I just bought gold tip arrows that were spined right and then screwed a Woodsman on the end and went hunting. I had killed elk in the past with no problem at all, but that was with magnus two blade heads. I switched to Woodsmans because they always looked so deadly to me. After this incident I started doing a lot of reading of Ashby’s reports on Tradgang.com and the results are quite astonishing and really opened my eyes to the flaws in my setup, ie: light arrow weight and pointed three blade broadheads. I highly recommend reading all of his reports, they are the most extensive on arrow penetration that has ever been done.

Thanks,
                                                          Don

• MontanaFord

Sounds like a good shot to me, but like you said, you may have center-punched a rib, and on elk, those are tough bones. Combined with the light weight, I’m willing to bet that that’s why your penetration went down the tubes.

MontanaFord

• cyeager

I’ve been using Stos up to now, but have recently bought some 4 blade Eclipse and some Woodsman heads in anticipation of a TX hog/turkey hunt in a couple weeks. I haven’t yet decided which to go with, what do others think of the best of those three for hog (or possibly turkey) using a 56# SR Swift with 680grn. (with BH) XX75’s?
                                                              Any input would be appreciated.
                                                              Curt
                                                              BTW, went with the Stos because it came pretty close to the criteria for a two blade that Dr. Ashby wrote about. I shot a whitetail with one last fall and there was no blood at all. Fortunately, had a double lung hit that dropped him in about 70 steps. The inside of the ribcage showed a slot on each side of the ribcage, but that got me thinking about adding a bleeder blade or a third blade in the future.

• Ron Roettger

I like the W. Woodsmen also and have shot a number of deer with them, great blood trails. dont care for the noise (hiss) they make in flight. Do you guys/gals have this?

• Todd Smith
                                                                  Post count: 167

A REALLY sharp one! I worked for 3Rivers for almost 20 years and have tried a TON of broadheads. For me they all worked well as long as they were super sharp.

Here’s a list of heads I’ve had excellent results with:
                                                                  Bear Greenhead 4-Blade
                                                                  Eclipse/Journeyman 2-Blade
                                                                  Grizzly 2-Blade
                                                                  Hunter’s Head 2-Blade
                                                                  Magnus 145 4-Blade
                                                                  Woodsman 3-Blade
                                                                  Zwickey Eskimo 2-Blade
                                                                  Zephyr Sasquatch 2-Blade

Now trying the Ashby and the 200 gr Samurai as well as some glue-on STOS 160’s, but have yet to get a shot at a critter with one… todd smith

• Ralph
                                                                    Post count: 2580

I’ve always liked Rib Tech’s and Grizzly’s. Rib Tech’s are tougher than a boot and sharpen easily and the same with Grizzly’s (I have never figured out why some people have such a hard time sharpening Grizzly’s, it just takes a bit of finesse on the non-beveled side). I agree about all of them being super sharp and shot placement is the deal. No matter how good a broadhead is, there is always the old adage “You can make it foolproof but you can’t make it damn foolproof”. Put a good heavy arrow with a sharp broadhead where it belongs and it will work.

• Patrick
                                                                      Post count: 1148

Milhouse wrote: Right now, I really like the Magnus Stinger 4 blade, 150 grain BH. I would love to shoot Wensel Woodsmens, but I can’t sharpen them to save my soul.

I had the same problem with the Woodsman.

• Chris Shelton
                                                                        Post count: 679

i have only harvested animals with thunderhead broadheads and they were sharp and did the job well but storing them was a pain because the blades would always fall out, right now i am using stinger 2 blade broadheads, i havent been able to use them yet? Seems like alot of you guys are using zwickeys, i love judos so i might just ahve to try there broadheads!

• dave19113
                                                                          Post count: 11

I use Magnus Stinger 2 blade 125 gr. I love em. They are easy to sharpen, stay sharp, and are really hard to break.

D

• Chris Shelton

yea those are exactly what i have, they have a lifetime warranty with them to, but like i said before i havent used them yet, we will see this fall!:wink:

• dave19113

Greatreearcher wrote: yea those are exactly what i have, they have a lifetime warranty with them to, but like i said before i havent used them yet, we will see this fall!:wink:

Good luck to you this fall…..report on how ya like em

D

• Chris Shelton

Don and MontanaFord, i think it is important to bring up fred eichler completly penetrating a moose from shoulder with a muzzy phantom and a full metal jacket arrow. The full metal jacket he was using was 10 gpi and a 125 grain broadhead, his feathers were wraped on so that should only add a few gpi and he was also shooting a 55 pound bow! Was it the broadhead or arrow weight? I dont think so, i think the penetration of bone depends on the animal, they are just like us in the simple fact that not every elks bone density is the same, meaning that not ever setup will act the same in every situation. Basically what i am saying is that it probably wasnt the woodsmans fault, also think about Dale from three rivers taking down buffalo with that broadhead and a longbow at that. It all depends on the situation, but i agree with Don on the fact that definatly a 2 blade will penetrate more!

• jer11bravo
                                                                                  Post count: 14

I shoot an ACE 2 blade 145 grn broadhead.I was told by a few people that you shouldnot shoot bear or even hogs with a two blade because of lack of penatration and little blood trails the two blades leave. what is your opion. depending on the economy I’m planning on going on a hog hunt maybe this fall.

• donpatch
                                                                                    Post count: 5

Greatreearcher,

I shoot the same 55 pounds of draw weight that Fred does and have shot clean through elk with 375 grain arrows. Fred shot his moose with a lot heavier arrow and that makes a world of difference. I won’t make the light arrow mistake again. The next elk that is shot by me will be hit with 600 grains or more from now on. Fred uses the phantom and that is a great broadhead for a screw in style. After reading all of Dr. Ashby’s reports on Tradgang, I switched over to Grizzly broadheads to try and get even more penetration out of my arrows. I highly encourage everyone to read his reports, it really opened my eyes. After 20 years of traditional archery, I realized I was making a huge error in my arrow weight. I’ll guarantee that Mr. Karch was using heavy arrows to kill his buffalo.

Jer11bravo, if you read Dr. Ashby’s reports, you will see that the two blade heads outperform multiblade heads hands down. Especially single bevel two blade heads!

Don

• Chris Shelton

i have read his reports and i agree with you but i was just adding that point and i am just curious, what type of tip are you going to use? Since you have read his reports, he uses different types of tips!

• IronCreekArcher
                                                                                        Post count: 79

Abowyer 175 grain Brown Bears with a 100 grain brass insert in the Easton Axis N-Fused for a total arrow weight of 550 grains out of a 49 lb Black Widow PMA. I have yet to harvest anything with them but I am wishing summer away as fast as I can! I like this set up because its the heaviest arrow that I could get to tune well and based on the Ashby studies I feel that penetration will be as maximized as best as I can get it. Gonna practice to make the perfect shot but prepare for the worst possible outcome…Dr. Ashby is right on with that statement.

• donpatch

Greatreearcher,

I’m using the Grizzly El Grande 190 grain heads with a single bevel and tanto style tip. He says that this is one of the best he has tested out of all the broadheads. I am using the steel 100 grain adapters and this brings my whole arrow set up to 610 grains. I have some Abowyer brown bears as well and they are a great broadhead too!

Thanks,

Don

• rchery59

I used the journeyman or eclipse for 15 years. Switched to the woodsman for 2 years, didn’t have the confidence I had with the eclipse so I went back last year and I’m sticking with it. They work and they are well built and tough.

• SteveMcD
                                                                                            Member
                                                                                              Post count: 870

I can’t make up my mind so I collect as many as I can. 😮

Hunting-wise.. I’ve always liked the Magnus 2 Blade (Vented) they tune and fly well for me. They are tough and I can get them sharp enough to shave with. They penetrate well, and are capable of leaving as good a bloodtrail as any blade.

• MontanaFord
                                                                                                Post count: 450

I saw something about 2 vs. 3 blade penetration. Well, I’ve taken shots with both into a target backing that I have, and found the 2 blades to penetrate better than my 3-blade wensels. The 2 blades were just cheap-o Bear 2 blades on 2018 shafts. The wensels are on 2117 shafts. The backing is actually a piece of rubber conveyor belt material from one of the lumber mills here. It is roughly 1/2″ thick. The 2 blades, because of their slimmer profile, actually managed to completely exit the back side of the backing along with between four and six inches of arrow shaft. I think I had one 3-blade that cleared the back of the backing along with maybe 1/2 to 1″ of shaft. Every other time, the extra drag on the blades stopped the head before it could clear the backing. Even a dull 2 blade managed to clear the backing better than a sharp wensel. Just something to think about when we talk about penetration.

Michael

• IronCreekArcher

Michael,

I have done similar testing with a doubled over license plate and found similar results. In fact, the Magnus II, Eclipse and Woodsman failed to penetrate the plate completely while the Abowyer Brown Bear penetrated fully plus 3″. All were shot from the same bow at the same distance and the arrows were all the same size, make and weight. Like you said, “Just something else to think about when we talk about penetration.” You can never have too much of it, right?

• Pinecone
                                                                                                    Post count: 1

Grizzly El Grande 190.

Claudia

• Treeman

Zwickey two blade Eskimo-classic , proven, eye pleasing shape, easy sharpening, good flight.

Ace-same qualities as the Zwickey plus a good factory grind

Magnus II- As above

Eclipse-As above (minus the good factory grind) plus harder steel and tough and slick teflon finish.

Ribtek-simple genius in design.

Tusker Deltas-Tough, cheap and lethal.

Bear Razorheads(glue-on)they were Fred’s heads. They are about the easiest heads to get sharp ever made and usually will fly well even with less than great tuning or lousy releases.

Obviously I am not very brand loyal in an exclusive sense. There are other heads that I have taken game with that I don’t wish to use again (Whiffen Bodkin-too soft and hard to get/keep super sharp, Delma MA2-ferrules tend to split under hard impact, Snuffer 2 blades-I like tougher tips, and-this one is sacrilige-Grizzlys.- they are tough, fly great and will take a great edge but IMO they are a little TOO hard. Heads that dull files quickly are a pain in the behind.

• tradbowman67

I use the Ribtek’s for their rib cracking efficiency, a guy I met a few years back (Steve H.) introduced me to them, but when I’m out to REALLY make sure, I’ve got my old Deadheads to do the job!! I also have a couple of Pearson Switchblades, as well….I figure they were made to be used, right?

• Daniel
                                                                                                          Post count: 247

My favorite broadhead used to be the Silverflame 210 grain because of its razor sharp edgeness and its durability but today I found another broadhead that simply blew the Silverflame out of the water.

The Ashby broadhead from Alaska Bowhunting Supply, simply amazing.

You have to see it to believe it, that’s all there is to it.

• IronCreekArcher

I have seen “You-Tube” footage of the Alaska Bowhuting Supply “Ashby” broadhead completely penetrating an elephant. The arrow was hanging by the fletching on the far side. Now thats penetration! My enthusiasm was rapidly curbed by the price tag though. I opted for the relatively expensive but more palateable Abowyer Brown Bear.

• MontanaFord
                                                                                                              Post count: 450

I’m thinking I want to switch over to a long and lean 2 blade, single bevel broadhead, but I want something that’s a screw-in, preferably without having to glue in a screw-in adapter. After looking at the price on the Ashby head, I’m wondering what price my wife would put on my head if I ordered any. She wouldn’t see the practical side of the head, she’d just see the economical side of the head, or, in her mind, lack thereof. Any advice, preferences, or whatever is appreciated. Thanks.

Michael

• SUSAN
                                                                                                              Member
                                                                                                                Post count: 20

For many years I Bear “Greenie” sans bleeders was my favorite broadhead. I could sharpen it, it flew well and the penetration was more than adequate for anything I would be hunting. I had a brief flirtation with Grizzlies, then Magnus heads, and the G5 Montec. For the past several seasons, however, my BH of choice has been the Woodsman. The reasons are that it makes a REALLY big hole for a great blood trail, they are strong enough and penetrate well, and I can sharpen them to a scary edge. I have a built-in resistance to paying $30 apiece for broadheads, especially since I have no plans to hunt dangerous or enormous game animals. [size=100][/size]

• Jason Wesbrock
                                                                                                                Member
                                                                                                                  Post count: 762

jer11bravo wrote: I shoot an ACE 2 blade 145 grn broadhead.I was told by a few people that you shouldnot shoot bear or even hogs with a two blade because of lack of penatration and little blood trails the two blades leave. what is your opion. depending on the economy I’m planning on going on a hog hunt maybe this fall.

A friend of mine, Curtis Kellar, runs a hog hunting operation out of South Texas. He’s probably killed more hogs than most pig farmers. His head of choice is a 2-blade. That tells me a lot.

I shoot the 125-grain version of the same broadhead you use. There’s not an animal on this continent I’d hesitate to hunt with it.

• J-dog
                                                                                                                    Post count: 47

main head I have experience with is 115 – 130 grain muzzys, super sharp, slip and you bleed! 😯

Used many others over the years, thunderheads, phantoms, satellite, bears. I have been shooting 160 grizzlies and love the way they fly, no experience in killing with them yet, but I need some new heads before season and they are coming up with the new and improved grizzlys (slight mods) I may upgrade to the 190s. 😉

Whatever you shoot be sure it is SHARP! when you think it is sharp strop it 20 more times!

J

• Brad
                                                                                                                    Member
                                                                                                                      Post count: 35

I’ll throw another vote in for the broadheads from Ace. Very well-made, sharpen easy, the standards come in 125, 145, and 160, and if you want something bigger you can get the 165gr express or the 175 and 200gr super express, and on top of all that they’re extremely tough.

• Jarrod Feiner
                                                                                                                        Post count: 36

Build a better mousetrap….
                                                                                                                        I’ve been shooting the Eclipse 145 grain, 2 blade for a number of years and I will keep shooting them as long as they continue to make them.

I like everything about the Eclipse: 2 blade, journeyman design…I even like the fact that they are teflon coated–not that the coating is likely to improve penetration–but I respect the fact that they thought about trying to do it better.

…and they are great people

• Wary Buck
                                                                                                                          Post count: 15

I’ve been shooting Wensel Woodsman for the last several years with no complaints whatsoever. Honestly, I think 99% of traditional-style heads (Woodsmans, Snuffers, Magnus, Zwickey, STOS, Ribteks, Eclipse, etc., etc., etc.) are going to serve you well. I do not have the same confidence from the new-fangled stuff primarily marketed to compound shooters.

For us, the options end up often being personal. I know Barry and Gene so like the Woodsmans. But I’ve met and really like Roger Rothhaar so have shot Snuffers. And Magnus has a great guarantee and I’ve killed a bunch with them. And you really can’t beat Zwickey’s shelf box, and I started with those and still have some. And I’ve met the STOS man at Compton and have heard from others what they think those initials really stand for. 😯 And I’ve had buddies that swore by Ribteks. Then there was the article in TBM about the Eclipse heads which I found intriguing. And the ongoing talk about single-bevel has got me thinking. And…. 😀

• kingwouldbe
                                                                                                                          Member
                                                                                                                            Post count: 244

This one has the highest mechanical advantage of them all.

For when poopoo happens

You can shoot through a deer’s chest with just about any broadhead, it’s when the going gets tough that the good ones shine

• William Warren
                                                                                                                            Member
                                                                                                                              Post count: 1384

I started with the Bear Razorheads (green ones) but have had good results with the Rothaar Snuffer (Now Magnus Snuffer). I have also used the Zwickey Delta and the Magnus 2 blade. My favorite is the Bear Razorhead but they are getting scarce. My second choice is the Zwickey 2 blade. I actually prefer a 2 blade. I think 2 blades penetrate with less resistance. Lighter weight bows will penetrate better with 2 blades. The lightest weight bow I have used is a 47# Bear Alaskan recurve and it acheived pass through with 2 blades.

• mudfish99
                                                                                                                                Post count: 13

I gotta vote for the Abowyer Brown Bear 175gr. single bevel(left). Easy to deal with right out of the package, high mechanical advantage, and of course mucho devastation upon contact with the critter you are trying to get personal with.

• Fourpoint

I gotta vote for Eclipse Broadheads, have been using them for years even when they went by the old name( sssh Journymen) have had great luck and sucsses with them.

• Hiram
                                                                                                                                    Post count: 484

Well this is a very subjective subject.
                                                                                                                                    I have always used Magnes or Zwickeys but with all the evidence in from the Dr. I may have to try the Grizzly.
                                                                                                                                    This design and its bone busting capability has me thinking.:)

• Guru
                                                                                                                                      Post count: 7

Snuffer 160’s and Wensel Woodsman…

• willhunthrd
                                                                                                                                      Member
                                                                                                                                        Post count: 6

ribtek 160gr.
                                                                                                                                        easy to sharpen and keep sharp. tough heads, good price.
                                                                                                                                        most importantly, they fly great out of my navajo scout.

• Konrad
                                                                                                                                          Post count: 62

I second donpatch. Elk are tougher than deer; however, nothing like a moose. They and the Great Bears are what we should be armed for. If they are taken care of; elk, sheep and deer are a slam dunk.

Like the sage said, “Use enough gun”.

I too had not read Dr. Ashby. It should be a mandatory read with every archery license sold!

• rayborbon
                                                                                                                                            Post count: 298

Magnus Stinger 2 blade. I also like regular Magnus. 125 grain.

Send me straight to hell. I don’t shoot a 200 or 300 grain log attached to the end of my arrows. Mostly because they have a very poor trajectory, fly slower and it would cost a fair bit of money to refit all my carbon shafts and arrows for a getup which I am not confident in. Heck I might even need some new bows with that much weight.

• Patrick
                                                                                                                                            Member
                                                                                                                                              Post count: 1148

rayborbon wrote: Send me straight to hell. I don’t shoot a 200 or 300 grain log attached to the end of my arrows. Mostly because they have a very poor trajectory, fly slower and it would cost a fair bit of money to refit all my carbon shafts and arrows for a getup which I am not confident in. Heck I might even need some new bows with that much weight.

Lol! While I’m shooting one of those logs you mention, I seriously prefer that there is diversity in thought on this. In the latest TBM, there are two articles that bring a much needed balance to this subject. One, extolls the virtues of EFOC. The other points out that good shot placement born out of consistent practice has no substitute, and is much more important.

• rayborbon
                                                                                                                                                Post count: 298

Let me be clear. I am not rejecting the research which has been presented. I don’t hunt elk very often and most of the game I am hunting is mule deer sized or smaller. The performance of my current setup has been pretty good. I am interested in getting better performance I just cannot justify it right now considering all things.

As far as shot placement is concerned – I agree it is about the most important thing. What good is a fast and strong arrow if it is a Texas heart shot that doesn’t mark a lethal spot? I practice very much throughout the year and find archery a very interesting hobby. I assume we all find it interesting or we would not be here.

Cheers

• Shakes.602

After a Zwickey Eskimo, the Wensel Woodsman Heads are Awsome!! I have had Pass Throughs with Every One of them i have let Fly!! Big Ol’ Hole in the Critter!!

Viewing 69 reply threads
                                                                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.