Home Forums Bows and Equipment What broadheads do you like?

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • Author

What broadheads do you like to hunt with? Are the more expensive ones worth the money? Do you use better heads for deer and less expensive for turkey?

• mhay

At this time I am using the ACE STANDARD 125gr. with 125 gr. steel adapters . They mounted and tuned easily. They come with grinder roughed edges , but easily sharpened with a file , diamond grit , then stopped ,,,,,,,,,,,as they say ”SCARY SHARP”.

I have been reading a lot lately on the TUFFHEAD and ZIPPER GRIZZLY .I like what I’ve read but at this time am not really sure I need a stronger head than the ACE since whitetails are the only BIG game I hunt. I will use my ACE’s on anything in Ohio ,,,,,,,,,,,,,hoping to ventilate a gobbler this spring.

• Etter1

I haven’t shot but a few broadheads, but I seriously doubt there is a better head made for deer-sized game than the simmons tree shark.

I shoot the 190 grain heads and they are just unbelievably devastating. I wouldn’t shoot them at an elk, but for deer, bear, pigs, etc, they are just brutal!

They tune easily, fly perfectly, and leave a massive wound channel. I’ve had zero penetration problems with them either.

• Jason Wesbrock

I have been using 125-grain Ace Standards since 2004. Over the past nine seasons, I’ve put them through some incredibly tough bone on big game animals ranging from whitetails to elk to moose (sans a few spine shots, all on the exit side). I have yet to so much as dub the tip of one of those heads, let alone actually damage one. If there’s a need for me to use a tougher head, I have yet to see it.

Prior to switching to Ace Standards, I shot Zwickey Eskimos and Deltas. I loved them, and they held up extremely well. Come to think of it, I never damaged one of them in an animal either. I shot the original Zephyrs for a while and liked them a lot. If I had to pick a broadhead I’d never used for the upcoming season, I suspect I’d go with the 125-grain Eclipse. They look extremely bomb proof. Regardless, there is certainly no shortage of excellent broadheads on the market these days.

• David Coulter

I’ll put my two-cents in for TuffHead. I only killed one deer, a small doe, but it did what it was supposed to do. I’ve done lots of target practice with the head and it flies really nice. dwcphoto

• wideangle

Magnus two blade 140 grain.

• Stumpkiller

I like the Stos broadhead. Also the Magnus II. Both are easy to sharpen and are very effective. Usually the arrow is at least 1/2 of the shaft out the far side of the deer, Occasional full pass throughs into the dirt beyond. They do all I need out of a broadhead.

• lyagooshka

The Concords I got on suggestion by someone here are fantastic heads. Only complaing is, I cannot ever get them as sharp as I want them. And no matter the “dislike” for the “fancier” styles, I have to admit my Hunor Africa is impressive, at least on the range. I have not animal trials to talk of, but the “get the job done” on the broadhead range. Be well.

Alex

😀

• James Harvey

I’ve used one version or another of these guys broad heads since I picked up my first bow (sigh, it was a compound) about 10 years ago.

http://outbackbroadheads.com.au/outback-supreme-125-grain

I really like them, plus they’re a local manufacturer for me. Unfortunately they only make screw ins so I’ve been forced to look elsewhere for my wood shafts. So far not had much luck with Aussie manufacturers :/

• Jason Wesbrock

Ausjim,

Aren’t Ribteks still being made in Australia? I’ve heard nothing but great things from friends who’ve used them.

• skinner biscuit

Magnus 2 blade 125gr. with 100 gr. brass insert…(this is a old post?) Ive long since moved to tuffheads.

• Bruce Smithhammer

I’ve been using Steel Force Traditionals, single bevel, 225gr (w/100 gr. insert & 10 grain washer/collar)

But I also received a generous gift of some Eclipse Werewolf single bevels that I need to play around with as well.

• kellydockter

simmons – the safari and the tiger. place your shot well and kill eny thing on the planet

• coastalbendbows

Etter1 wrote: I haven’t shot but a few broadheads, but I seriously doubt there is a better head made for deer-sized game than the simmons tree shark.

I shoot the 190 grain heads and they are just unbelievably devastating. I wouldn’t shoot them at an elk, but for deer, bear, pigs, etc, they are just brutal!

They tune easily, fly perfectly, and leave a massive wound channel. I’ve had zero penetration problems with them either.

Curious about your reply. Why wouldn’t you use them on Elk?

I’ve been shooting VPA terminators lately. Have used abowyer Magnus stingers stos.

• James Harvey

J.Wesbrock wrote: Ausjim,

Aren’t Ribteks still being made in Australia? I’ve heard nothing but great things from friends who’ve used them.

They’re next on my list. Should have made them first on my list with the luck I’ve been having 😉

• David Petersen

I’m impressed by the wide variety of preferences in broadheads evidenced here so far, with no clear preference for even a brand, much less a specific head. It would make for an interesting sociological and marketing study to investigate the reasons for this. 😀

Mine is another vote for Tuffheads. The new 190 glue-on Meatheads are down in a weight range that’s more acceptable to folks not yet convinced that heavier is better (I mostly use the 300), and is the most affordable of all top-echelon, hunt-ready, Ashby-quality broadheads.

In general, any broadhead that comes with grinder grooves showing, thus needs filing followed by honing to get hunting sharp, puts us in a situation of having paid for an unfinished product, but worse, once we put a file to a head we’re reducing the professed weight radically and rarely will we be able to get all the heads even close to the same weight. The best money I ever spent, and the biggest shock I ever got, was my first electronic grain scale. These days, I’m willing to pay extra for a mirror-finished, hunt-ready head. Other things to watch for are steel hardness and difference in weight between a package of heads. I recently got a 6-pack of a popular head (not Tuffhead) with heavy grinder grooves and more than 20 grains of weight difference between the six! It pays to check these things out before we decide. Advertising generally means less than nothing, way less. Be skeptical, buy a scale ($20 on average) and thus be able to explain our choices with facts rather than opinions. (In all life, not just broadheads. :P)

• paleoman

skinner biscuit wrote: Magnus 2 blade 125gr. with 100 gr. brass insert…

Same here. Before those Bear Razor heads that I think were 125 gr. also? Had a bunch and they did fine for me. Like Archie Bunker would say “I hate change! It’s never the same”! I stick with stuff forever if it works.

• Stumpkiller

J.Wesbrock wrote: Ausjim,

Put a lot of miles on Ribteks and they are still my coyote and small game head of choice. They sharpen easy and stand up to the occasional rock when woodchuck hunting. I started with them because they remind me of the old Ben Pearson skeleton heads. I like the 125S version for whitetails.

• jpcarlson

300 Tuffy’s all the way. I don’t think a better head can be made for the price. They get the job done and allow FOC to do what it is supposed to do. Don’t be afraid of the heavier heads folks, they fly great and pack a punch.

J

• shotsome

Rothaar Snuffers,for deer Elk, Bear,,And M A-3’s for turkey and things like hava-julina. All glue on’s. When I was shooting Alum. arrows I used Muzzy’s 125’s an Barrie Rocky Mtns. Love three blades over two and four blades. Killed some deer with the old satelites. And found one of those in a bull elk’s hip. about 1997.

• Ed Ashby

For big game: TuffHead, ABowyer and Grizzly. My first preference is the TuffHead 300 grain; lots of FOC when placed on a good one-piece insert/adaptor.

Light game: Deadhead (still have a few). Turkeys: Simmons Safari (glue-on).

Ed

• James Harvey

Dr. Ed Ashby wrote: Light game: Deadhead (still have a few).

In my search for good local broadheads I came across a guy that makes a range and one of them looks quite a bit like those old deadheads (less of an arch though). The tusker aztec (they’re cheap as chips too):

http://www.bowhuntingaustralia.com/broardheads_glue.html

I got a delivery of a screw on version recently. They’re a fat old head. The maker has also been working on a heavy, single bevel version of the concorde for me. We haven’t got there yet but he’s determined to do it!

• shotsome

ausjim wrote: [quote=Dr. Ed Ashby]Light game: Deadhead (still have a few).

In my search for good local broadheads I came across a guy that makes a range and one of them looks quite a bit like those old deadheads (less of an arch though). The tusker aztec (they’re cheap as chips too):

http://www.bowhuntingaustralia.com/broardheads_glue.html

I got a delivery of a screw on version recently. They’re a fat old head. The maker has also been working on a heavy, single bevel version of the concorde for me. We haven’t got there yet but he’s determined to do it!

Jim, thanks for the url, I checked out the Tusker site. Those Aztec’s look great, and we can get-em here in the U.S. as well. I am thinking these are my next purchase. 😀

• LimbLover

I’m a whitetail man and prefer dual bevel 2-blades. I’ve shot several and had luck with Ace and Eclipse. The Eclipse take a lot more punishment and I love their lifetime guarantee and coating.

I’ve played around with a Wenzel Woodsmen as well, but haven’t had a chance to stick anything with one yet. I think I’m going to try one on a bird in May.

• Goraidh

I’ve just ordered some Zwicky Eskimos 160gr for this season. Am looking forward to using a heaad with such history. Used Razorheads years ago, but they’ve all gone out with the tide.

• JodyS

I have shot Eclipse Werewolf (175 double bevel) and Steel Force Traditionals (225 gr single bevels). Both were dandy heads for hunting whitetails and turkeys here in the Ozark Mountains.

I picked up some Tuffhead Meatheads (190 gr single bevel) at the Kalamazoo Trad Bow gathering. I am very pleased with them. To me, they out-perform the other two for my needs. And, they are shave-the-hair-off-your-arm sharp right out of the package (there is a reason that the owner –Joe– includes a Band-Aid dispenser with them:shock:). I use titanium adapters with them and I am very impressed with the performance. Hopefully I will get to send one through an Eastern longbeard in three weeks. 😀

• David Petersen

My pick — a long and lean killing machine, as evidenced by the bull it’s lying on — full pass-through, down in 15 yards, dead in 15 seconds. Overkill? 😛

attached file
                                                          • Fletcher

As evidenced by this thread, there are almost as many broadheads available as there are thoughts and theories about them. Most all of the major “trad style” broadheads being made today are strong and of good steel and construction. Our learning to get them SHARP and placing them where they need to be is the really important part. Even with all of the experience here, none of us come anywhere close to gathering the data and records recorded by Dr. Ashby and I encourage everyone to include his findings in your final choice. While I know that the narrow heads get the job done, my mind isn’t comfortable with them and I prefer a wider broadhead, at least 1.25″ wide. This led me to using the Grizzly ElGrande/Kodiak long single bevel. I must admit I was VERY impressed with their performance and have had them in my quiver since. I still like a good 3-blade for turkeys and wouldn’t hesitate to shoot an Ace Express or Zwickey Delta at anything.

Good luck with the Ribtecs; I found the 160’s to be a great head.

• DeathFromAbove

Zwickey Eskimo broadheads I’d hunt anything on this planet with those heads.

• grumpy
                                                                  Post count: 962

Lots of data here all in one thread. I need to do a lot of research, to find out just what youse guys (Y’all, in Dixie) are talking about.

What confounds me is why there are so many short broadheads on the market when it is obvious (at least to me) that we would get best penetration with a 3 to 1 ratio broadhead. I’ve seen a lot that are 1 to 1, at that point you are not really cutting, it is punching a hole, which is a LOT less efficient.

Pete

• codger
                                                                    Post count: 132

I use MA-3 for broadhead leagues they dont wind plane much in my experience they shoot very much like a field point i use two bade Zwicky’s for hunting they sharpen well and seem to be pretty tough when i make a bad shot.

• archer38
                                                                      Post count: 242

I’ve shot Bear Razorheads for many years and they’ve served me well ! I’m down to my last 2 so I’ve been looking for a suitable replacement. I like the Ace Standard and the Woodsman has caught my eye as well but I just recently saw one from Australia named Kayuga. These look like a very good, sturdy head ! Worth a look !

• Mohawk13
                                                                        Post count: 24

Bear Razor Heads are My first choice. Keep My supply active by picking flea markets and garage sales. That being said, a close second are the Herter’s Ram X. The 4 blade make large wound channels and have not had an animal move more than 60 yards after being hit…..

• shirikahn
                                                                          Post count: 10

for price/performance, I think you cannot go wrong with the Woodsman broadheads from 3 rivers…

Shirikahn

• Snag32
                                                                            Post count: 9

I like heads in the 125-160gr range. The Eclipse heads are my “go to” heads. They are tough and keep an edge well. I recently bought a pack of the 190gr Tuffheads “Meathead”. Impressed with the construction and how well they finish the bevel and edge. But I do wish they would come out with one in 150gr. The STOS heads are good for the price as well. The lower priced heads need more frequent attention to the cutting edge.

One head I will never buy is the Grizzly heads. I was asked by a customer to mount some of these on his arrows I was building. When I got them in I was shocked as I inspected them. Out of 6 heads there was half of them that were visibly curved…not from shipping damage either. I tried heating them up to straighten them…they snapped when pressure was applied. NOT impressed! For the price there are much better heads out there.

Eclipse heads fly great, sharpen nicely, and are strong. For the price I have’t found a better head.

• JodyS
                                                                              Post count: 114

I shoot the Tuffhead 190 grain Meathead with a titanium adapter. They are razor sharp out of the package, and fly really well. I shoot the same setup for whitetails and turkeys.

• burgess
                                                                                Post count: 24

for years…….i’ve used the simmons safari…..and can’t remember the number of deer i’ve taken with them. i’ve also broken them in half…..had them skip off of ribs from an extreme quartering angle. however once in the thorax area of the animal……i can remember losing only one animal with them. that being said…..i switched to the vpa 3 blade 275 glue on this year….total arrow weight of 630 grains ….efoc…….out of 43 lb chastain and with the results i had this year……with the kills…..the bloodtrails……there will be no looking back as long as i can get my hands on them. simple to sharpen beyond the point where they will cut air……imho……the absolute best broadhead on the market today……….

• Steve Capps
                                                                                  Post count: 85

Zwickey Eskimos.

• tom-wisconsin
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                    Post count: 240

175 gr. Abowyer Brown Bear single bevel FOC 29.8% Total arrow wt. is 645 gr.

• Greg Ragan
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                      Post count: 201
                                                                                  Viewing 39 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.