Home Forums Campfire Forum two good finds

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Finally found a chair, without arms, in a color that is not red, blue. or yellow (actually charcoal gray, looks blue in pic). I need this. Would love to sit in a tree stand, but if I sit motionless for any period of time the arthritus takes over, and joints don’t work. Could make getting down a bit dicey. I saw an umbrella blind at the store. Price was right, and seemed like a good idea. Has anyone tried one of these? Doe’s it actually WORK?

The pack frame was at a yard sale. One of the old ones with a fold down shelf. You can carry ANYTHING with one of these. Needed pins and sholder straps, replaced the pins, and I’ll have sholder straps (albet pink) as soon as Arwen drags her bookbag over 10 feet of asphalt.

attached file
      • Doc Nock

Well, “Grumpy” you are the guy to find good deals!

I have a double bull T-5 Recurve model pop-up…it’s an older style with just windows and viewing strips.

It works, but deer sure are hinky back here so we had to “brush it in” a lot, but leaving anything in the woods long here, for them to get ‘used to’ is asking for a “Bye-bye” birdie! Thieves abound

We saw a deer from it once… yearling spike… They work well some places and not so much others, I hear. I suspect it depends on the pressure they get w/ hunting and such.

Only thing I found with those “bag chairs” is movement makes a lot of noise, and my fat kiester settles down inside a bit too much to shoot well.

I have a fantasy to build a lightweight, adjustable height seat sometime, but need one of those dead EZ UP canopy legs to make it happen… with the pop pins to adjust height!

Good luck! Army surplus stores often have spare shoulder straps…sometimes sporting good stores sell replacement ones for carrying tree stands!

Amen to the arthritis… dunno how it might go for me this year in a tree stand…it won’t be awfully high and I love the original light weight Rapid Rails that box my foot and avoid slippage!

• Ralph

Hey grumps, umbrella may a bit of a problem around here but in forested areas like you have I bet it’d work if you can figure out to shoot over, under, around it. You need comfortable chair so you can take good naps and miss the neat stuff like me sometimes.

• William Warren

I got one of those umbrellas for rainy days, ended up hauling it around in the tool box for years. This thread made me remember I had it. 😀

• handirifle

My problem is with chairs like that is I actually see LESS deer. I think it’s the snoring that drives them off, or maybe the nodding head catches their attention, not sure.

Of course, if my eyes stayed open long enough to actually LOOK for them I might know for sure.:?

• mgerard

The umbrella blind worked well for me. Easy enough to set-up. Usually though, if I needed it during bow season I didn’t feel like shooting anything in that weather. If I knew the storm was passing though it worked out well. Can be used as a ground blind in a pinch too. I agree with Doc about the bottom settling in those chairs. Makes it tough to move/shift when you need to for the shot.

• Doc Nock

I misunderstood and thought “umbrella” referred to the pop up type blind…but you’re talking (I think) about those tree umbrellas with a cut-out panel to go around a tree trunk?

I’ve seen guys lay them on the ground and sit behind them.

In my younger days, I might have been able to get low enough to be partially hidden behind one of those, but even my “Magnum” umbrella wouldn’t work well sitting in a chair!

Roll-A-Chair makes a decent chair…aircraft alum. legs, hardwood dowels inside where the bolts go thru the 4 legs, flip up back-rest, very light and compact but fat legs with big rubber cups on to not sink in too far and it’s low enough to provide stick bow clearance, but not so high I stick out. I took wood grain shelf paper and wrapped on the alum legs… instant camo.

Bag chairs, “sit deep” for me as stated…and maybe others this isn’t a problem, but moving around in those hard nylon chairs makes some hideous noises that my Momma would have made me say “Excuse me, hiney burp!” 😯

• grumpy

Didn’t really look that close at the umbrella, think it was ment to go on its side, I’ll have to go back and look.

I was actually looking for the smalest chair I could find, considered a kids chair, WITHOUT ARMS, remember I’m a tad smaller than you guys. Figured the arma would get in the way. Since I have some scrap alum tubing around, I’m thinking of making my own. Used to have a “Maine Lounger” that was great, but its been missing for years.

• Doc Nock

Here’s one for you…wrong color, but they will custom make on in green like I bought years ago… I wrapped shelf paper in wood grain on the legs… bada bing! Used it with my ghillie suit and had turkeys all around me… no sweat!

http://www.camptime.com/roll-a-chair.htm

I emailed Dave the owner and he’s going to be making them with black anodized legs soon, too… Great people and excellent product!

• grumpy

Thank you, thats the kind of thing I’m looking for, but want to think about making my own first.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.