Home Forums Campfire Forum TURKEYS

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

No, I’m not calling anyone names. I am wondering what youse guys (y’all in Dixie) use for turkey decoys. One dimensionals cut out of cardbord, inflatables, hard plastic, carved out of wood, or do you tar and feather your kids?

• TurkeyCommander

That picture was taken up here in Ontario Canada last week. Seen them and got as close as I could for the pic. Close enough to hear them purring and clucking.

Come spring time, I’ll be using the roll up foam decoys. They are light weight and can be packed easy. Also quick to set up if you need to. Last year my set up was 1 jake decoy and 2 hens and me and my brother were successful all season.

It comes down to how well you can call too. Those are Eastern’s in the pic by the way. Probably -16 celsius or 3 degrees fahrenheit.

• mhay

no dekes,,,,,a good set up in the right amount of cover and soft calling will get the job done . Most critical aspect is to SIT STILL.

• tailfeather

For the most part, I quit using them many years ago…..I simply don’t want to carry them or set em up, and they’re prone to spook birds. I say this with one exception: I used a single, roll up foam jake last year when taking my six year old son…..hoping it would take the gobbler’s eye off a squirming, excited kid. It worked that time, and he got a nice gobbler. Therein lies the only advantage for a bowhunter. If you’re going to use one, I’d keep it simple….forget all the heavy full bodied decoys…and most especially this remote controlled business.

It’s best to have cover behind and some in front, be still, and call softly for the most part. Forget all the carrying on they do on the teevee shows. The most important thing is to be somewhere that gobbler wants to go. Like real estate: location, location, location.:D

I do like that idea about tarring and feathering the chirrens, though…..:D

• mhay

I totally agree tailfeather .

Just about every thing running wild in the woods is as tough as saddle leather when it comes to being able to endure the bitterness of winter . Little birds can walk around on top of the snow or simply hop from low limb to another. All the mammals have hair on their legs down to and including their paws , or to the hooves .

I have never hunted waterfowl but they surely are tough to swim the icy waters .

But I see turkeys , like those in the picture above , as they walk in deep snow and sub zero temps , in search of food , with no feathers on their lower legs , no socks and no shoes .

No feathers on their head and no wool sock hat .

Amazingly tough and admirable bird .

• Col Mike

Aw but look at their circulatory system and you will see what evolution can do–warm feet.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.