Home Forums Bows and Equipment Problems with my release again !!!!!!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Ah man, we have a week left and this morning, nothing is going right. I think I’ll go and buy a sheet of 4 x 8 plywood and shoot that 😕

I take the time to concentrate on my point, draw to my anchor and then its a free for all, arrows hitting a foot left of the small pink insulation that I have pinned to my target. Then the next arrow hits high 10 inches and the other then follows below. Why is this happening right before the hunting season???????

So, with that being said, perhaps a tab will help but, and I said but, I have tried the tab before and for some unknown reason my middle finger hurts so bad after shooting about 5 arrows that I stopped using it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated ❗

• David Petersen

So many possibilities …
          I have bad shooting days and good days. I always hope for a good day when hunting! Try moving closer and getting back on target then backing slowly away.

If it makes you feel better, the other night I took a shot at a 5×5 bull elk, 18 yards or so. Sitting on ground, had to lean out around some saplings to make the shot. Canted the bow to do it but wasn’t aware I was canting. Bottom bow limb hut a sapling “Whack!” and arrow missed by a mile. Good days and bad days. Yesterday I almost got on a bugling 6×6 in a hail storm but both he and I got tired of getting pounded at the same time and headed for respective trees. Who knows what today’s hunt (after a week of all-dayers, I slept in this morning) will bring. Best, dave

• Daniel

Thanks Dave, I’ve given myself a bit of a break and will go out shooting again. I’ll move to 5 yards and see how it goes and I’ll post the outcome 🙂

A day at a time they say !!!

• Chris Shelton

I agree with dave that there are definatly good days and bad days. But if what he said in the beginning about moving closer and slowly moving back doesnt work, then try what i do! I move farther back, like 50 yards and then that 20 yard shot feels like 10 yards makes me shoot better!

• Mark Turton

I get this high and wide problem and finally figured it was anchor, I have two points of reference tip of my middle finger on the incisor, first joint of my thumb in the hollow below my ear. If I’m still not hitting what I’m aiming at its focus and that just requires a mental kick in the rear.
                I know how frustrating this can be so I hope this might be of help.
                Mark.

• Daniel

Today, the good folks above must be keeping an eye on me for sure, I started shooting a single arrow at a time at 5 yards and did so till I got a grooping that looked good. I like taking a break after shooting about 20 minutes to let my muscles re-coup and I shot again one arrow at a time at 10 yards. 20 minutes later, I’m satisfied. And that’s how far I’m keeping it for a few days, going to and from 5 – 10 yards always making sure I draw to my anchor point and releasing as best I can.

Here is one thing I noticed, on some shots when I’m thinking about my release and holding on a tad too long, I tend to pluck the string. When I just concentrate on getting to my cnchor point, the finger open alot smoother and the arrow goes where its supposed to. I thought it would be the opposite, think about your realease, release goes well, instead of thinking about the release and plucking the string.

Thanking everyone for your input. SB

• quiverfull

Here’s how I think about it: get your full draw, your anchor, line it up, then your job is done. Relax, let the bow do it’s job now. Release=relax. Less than full draw is problematic for me; I’m usually trying to “guide” the shot. Holding to long, likewise.
                    It’ll come back! Have a good season…Jim

• Hiram

The release is just part of the shot.
                      I do not like to look at it from sequencial breakdowns.
                      Yes I know that it must be broke into parts of succession in reality but, the shot is not finished by the release happening. The Bow arm must be steady and unmoved except in the case of the loose grip recoil which usually goes left a little by the recoil of the shot. The Bow arm should remain until the arrow hits. Why? well follow through of course which should be built into the shot by habits grown into your shooting from the use of the “Blind bale” or visual bale which ever you prefer from close distance, concentrating on proper form and all the way through the shot without worrying about hitting a small target.
                      You cannot think about several things at once! Thats why we work on one thing at a time until it becomes ingrained through practice. Thats precisely why, if your having a bad day of shooting, you should either lay it down or go to the bale for close up work on the problem areas of your shot.
                      OK, DEAD RELEASE, or BACK TENSION release? Both work well! Several top shooters use both. The only problem I see with the dead release is one of manintaining the balance from the push and pull of the balance point (anchor) and collapse versus follow through. The back tension release seems more appropriate to me because it maintains the push pull balance, and because it removes any collapse of the shot (if done right) and the drawing hand will come straight back (maintains alignment) not contributing the awfull plucks that cause the arrow to go right so much of the time. I recomend that you worry less about your release and more about maintaining the balance point at anchor by utilizing the push pull, back tension release. If you do this, your Bow hand will almost always come straight back and you will have a cleaner release.:)

• Carbomask

I have a strong feeling lots of data can be gathered by practicing with a lighted nok. plucking or bow torque are my two nemices. I find that switching bows helps me get real. I love the longbows, these wild stallions..if I am off, I pickup the recurve. The recurve is so stable due to the mass of the riser, but just a few shots off the 45#recurve, and I can get back in serious nail drivin at 14 paces with either of my two longbows (64″ 50# tredbarta, and 58″46# RERVortex). at the moment, I cant stop shooting each bow, im suffering a neurosis, obsessive/compulsive passive/aggressive addiction. my goal is to harvest one deer with each bow this year. that will be hard the DNR shot all the herd in my county. all my woods are ghost towns. anyway, sorry for the meandering. bobray

• Steertalker

I recomend that you worry less about your release….

There should be no thought given to the release at all! Working on or thinking about the release is akin to “triggering” the release…..which is the same as flinching:wink:

Without seeing you shoot it is hard say what is going on but more than likely it is a combination of inconsistency in your shot sequence and triggering the release.

First and foremost the release takes care of itself….it should surprise you when it happens. Secondly, consistency comes from building a shot sequence that is comfortable to you and easily repeatable. That sequence must have a conclusion which you shoot thru, not to. Somewhere between the time you commit to the shot and your conclusion, the release will take place. I guarantee it:wink:

If I can be of any more help don’t hesitate to PM me.

Brett

• Hiram

Yes Steertalker! Pull the string to anchor and do not quit pulling! Hesitate to establish anchor and sight picture but, DO NOT STOP PULLING! If you stop pulling, you will collapse and lose the tension you need to pull through the shot. Back tension should should pull you through the release and your subconsciuos will enable you to just quit holding the string. I had a wise fellow tell me how to quit holding the string upon release and here”s the simple illustration. Grab a paint bucket or bail by your fingers, then just let it drop. It”s that simple. Spend more time establishing your form, and worry less about aiming. If you do it right, the release will just happen!

• Stephen Graf

I took my training wheels off 4 seasons ago. So I am still in the early stages. With that said, my experience so far leads me to say that accuracy is 90% in the bow arm/hand and 10% in the string arm/hand.

I didn’t really worry much about my release until my groups got small enough to allow me to hunt. Then I started seeing some inconsistencies that I couldn’t explain. I to found that a good push/pull form worked very well to establish better accuracy. But then I went hunting….

As has been said, form is everything. And I agree. But the form has to be robust so that it can handle uneven foot position, crazy angles, twisting, etc. I found that when I used the push/pull form and ended with my string hand touching my shoulder after the shot, I had some wayward arrows.

So then I started using the dead hand release. Thus keeping my string hand against my face after the shot. What I noticed is that my absolute accuracy was not as good (almost though), my wayward shots were not nearly as bad. And for me, a good shot on a deer is the goal, not a dot.

I splurged on the Fred Bear videos from 3Rivers over the last 3 seasons. And I noticed something interesting. If you look at Fred’s form back in the ’50’s you will see him using the back tension method and touching his shoulder after the shot. In his later years he uses a dead release.

I think the method a person uses has to be based on their physical structure. For me I am so sloppy jointed and crooked boned that I need to keep my hand still to avoid throwing the string. Then I push like a crazy man with my bow arm still the arrow hits the mark. It ain’t pretty, but it works. That’s how I build my shot.

I could never pat my head and rub my stomach…or is it rub my stomach and pat my head? awww damn, I just fell down while chewing gum again!

Mostly remember archery is an elective sport. Keep it fun, don’t beat yourself up too much. Take a break and think about what’s happening. Come up with a new plan and give it a try when you are feeling good.

• Daniel

I thought I would give you an update of my shooting performance 😀

It really has improved to the point I am comfortable shooting up to 20 yards consistently. Like I told a friend of mine, 20 yards is 20 yards to me, that’s my limit and I’m content with that ( knowing quite well, in time, I will work towards getting comfortable shooting a bit further ).

The one thing that helped me get back opn track is this, I stopped trying to figure things out and to get back to a solid follow through and smooth release. Its funny how one can shoot all his life and then suddenly he needs to start back at step 1 !! Yeap, that’s me, and I’m glad it happened, its given me a whole new appreciation of shooting the stick and string.

Also, I really wanted to thank all of you again for taking the time to share with me your experiences and shooting styles, that also helped build my confidence back. It feels good.

God Bless

SB

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.