Home Forums Bows and Equipment NEW BOW!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

You may recall the posts I have made whining over the twang my string on my Bear SuperMag 48 was making. Well, it turns out that I had limb twist. The string was landing to the side of the grove in the recurve, than twanging as it slipped down into the grove. Eventually it got bad enough so the string stayed out of the grove entirely. It took some hassle, but the good people at Bear Archery replaced the bow with a new one. Since getting it I have noticed that the grove on this one is less that 2″ long, the grove on the old one was at least 4″ long, and a lot deeper. That may have caused the limb twist, for all I know. The important thing is that the twang is gone. Now I have just a slight buzz upon releasing the arrow, which should be corrected with fur balls, whiskers, or something of that sort. HAPPY CAMPER 😀

While waiting I got really frustrated not having a bow, so I bought a backup bow. Its a 50# Chinese bow. At 53″ (strung) it is a bit longer than the BEAR, but still not longer than I am. It’s a take down with wood riser, epoxy resin limbs, and wood recurves. Not as powerful as the BEAR, but with practice it would be just as accurate. The finish isn’t all that great, I think I’ll give the wood a coat or two of varnish, and yeah, keep it just in case. Unlike the BEAR, it shoots really, really quiet. After shooting the string has a slight vibration that I can feel, but can’t hear. The irony is that it arrived just one day before I got the new BEAR. Go figure.

If you are interested I can give you the web site where I got it.

• David Coulter

Grumpy, congratulations on getting the new Bear and for finding a decent sub. If its okay with Webmom post the site. It might be of interest and maybe a good starter bow. Good luck with the new Bear ! Dwc

• Ptaylor

Grumps, how old was your bear bow? Did you purchase it new from them? Or from a vendor? I’m just wondering to evaluate customer service. Sure sounds like they took good care of you.

• grumpy

Bear Archery was great, the vendor was not.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.