Home Forums Campfire Forum Gonna mozy over to the Libary

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I got to see if I can find some book from Traditional Longbowman to read. Byron Ferguson – Become The Arrow for one. I get sick and tired of all these so called bowhunting shows on cable channels, and I think only one guy hunts most of the time with a Traditional Bow, and that is Fred Eichler but even finding myself switching the channel when the modern compound bow comes out.

I have DVD’s with nothing but modern compound bowhunters, but have no real desire to see them hunt with those gaggit bows. As soon as I can get some money ahead, I’m going to order some real “Traditional Bowhunting” DVD’s from 3Rivers. Now I don’t have to tell you what I do when the rifles and Xbows come out…. click either change the channel and watch fishing or just turn it off. 🙄

• tom-wisconsin

I used to watch the shows more than I do now. I think the more we know and learn the less beneficial the shows are to us IMHO. I am going out to practice.

• WICanner

Watch a compound bow show, and ask, could they have made the shot with a longbow or recurve? The answer is almost always yes, they could have made it with a wood bow. So why hunt with a compound? Shooting trad is not all that different, it just takes more practice. But thats not hard, just dedication.

What irritates me about these hunting shows is that is really isn’t about hunting, but about shooting, retrieving game, and doing their victory dances. Think about watching a football game, do you want to watch endless highlight tapes of touchdowns and victory dances, or watch the game that leads up to the score? I don’t watch too much of these hunting shows anymore. That why some of the old classic hunting books have appeal. They can put you into the situation, make you feel it, and the kill pages are few and the hunting pages are many.

• Cottonwood

These shows are for nothing less than promoting the products then endorse, plain and simple IMHO.

Its enough to make me sick.

I started to watch a show yesterday morning, and just had to flip the channel and eventually turned off the TV. I instead picked up the copy of have of Traditional Bowhunter Magazine and begun re-reading it again – NOW that is about REAL Bowhunting!

• LimbLover

Its all about marketing folks. They are now one big infomercial with a kill shot because that is all most people want to see.

Byron Ferguson wrote “Become the Arrow” Jon. You may have a hard time finding it under Byron Jones.

That is a good book. I just finished it – very thin, very fast read. I highly suggest reading “Hunting Stories” by Fred Bear if you are looking in the library. Good luck, I haven’t found much.

• Cottonwood

Man I was thinking of a guy I used to know actual name Byron Jones… my bad surprized no one else caught it. Thanks for the correction, and I fixed it above.

• Bloodless

WIcanner said he likes hunting stories where “the kill pages are few and the hunting pages are many.”

BRAVO!!!

As Mr. Petersen puts it, to know real hunting is to value “quality over quantity,” and to realize that “the trip IS the destination.”

Another writer, forget his name, called it “process over product.”

But TV producers and advertisers prefer to listen to the wisdom of Mark Twain, who had a medicine-show shyster speaking the sad truth that “Ain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a majority everywhere?”

Yet if we complain too loud, “they” dismiss “us” as “elitists.”

As one of the German generals who tried to kill Hitler (and failed) said as they were about to “hang” him with piano wire, “Such a world!” But it’s the world we got.

Selah, Bloodless

• Cottonwood

When I can, I’m going to order some of David’s books.

• SDMFer

While your there pick up a few other books, “A Sand County Almanac” and “Aldo Leopold’s Odyssey: Rediscovering the Author of a Sand County Almanac” by Julianne Lutz Newton.

“Recreational development is a job not of building roads into lovely country, but of building receptivity into the still unlovely human mind.” Sand County (p. 295)

The final section of of Sand County “The Upshot” seems to fit pretty well with some of the current discussion of the various “outdoor” channels.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.