Home Forums Bows and Equipment Bear Super Kodiak ????

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

Does anybody know off of the top of their head what the brace height range for a 60″ Bear Super Kodiak w/FastFlight should be ???

An orphaned one was dropped off on my doorstep and naturally I had to take it in and care for it.  It’s set up for shooting off of the shelf with 8 & 7/8″ string to deepest part of the grip.  Seems kinda high.  I’m going to give off the shelf an honest try but it’s gonna take some getting used to.

Nice bow, though !!!

• Raymond Coffman

Richard

Always liked that bow  – owned a couple over the years. That brace height is in the ball park as I recall . Factory says 8 – 9 . You made out like a bandit, great hunting bow. Shooting off the shelf is the ” only” way– haha.  Enjoy

If it is an older one I’d beware of using a fast flight string —

Scout aka Ray

• David Coulter

Remember it takes a village…. feel free to pass it around. Good score! Dc

• Ralph

One of my “kick my butt” deals from the past when I let one go in a trade.

Traded for a Hoyt ‘Mamba’………….t’was an excellent bow also.

Now have neither and if’n I knew…………….I’d still have both.

• richard roop

????? I thought that the Mamba was of the Damon Howatt flavor.

Ok ………………………. Been doing some shooting with my latest orphan from the eBay Adoption Agency for Wayward Bows. Quite happy with the bow.  Shooting  off of the shelf, …… less so.  It just doesn’t ‘look’ right at anchor.  I’ve always been a rest guy w/split fingers and usually hold my own at tournaments.

So ……………………. What is the advantage of shooting off of the shelf over shooting off of a rest ?????

Thanx !!!!

• Raymond Coffman

Richard

Short answer – personal preference

Off the shelf – simpler, more foolproof in hunting ( arrows falling off the rest) better for instinctive shooting

Off a (raised)rest – more accuracy (easier to tune) – can use vanes

PS if i remember correctly – Martin purchased Howatt, hence a mamba bow  from either and or both – haha. Don’t recall if Hoyt ever built a Mamba named bow —

Scout aka Ray

• richard roop

THAT’S IT ??????

For no more than that Calif. Bowman Hunters runs separate divisions for ‘shelf’ and ‘elevated rest’ ????

And I’ve been told that the animals I’ve taken with my ‘curve didn’t count because ‘rests ain’t traditional’ ????

What strange creatures we be !!!!

I’m going to give the shelf about a week trial run then decide which way to go.  So far I can’t fault the shelf, it just still don’t ‘look’ right.

Need to run a few shafts thru a cronograph, too.  Bow seems to have a bit of snap to it !!!!

• richard roop

Numbers !!!!

Long as I had to drag the crono out, might as well blow the dust off of a few sticks.

Shooting (with one exception) 2213s w/160 grn points & 40 grn inserts. All bows (with one exception) are 60 ” & 60 lbs @ 28. My draw length is just under 27″.  I am a wee bit anal about ‘tuning’.  Wadda ya mean I can’t shoot bullet holes bare shaft paper tuning ??

Black Widow GreyBark one piece ………………………… 185 fps.

Bear Super Kodiak …………………………………………….. 182 fps.

Damon Howatt Super Diablo ……………………………… 180 fps.

Ben Pearson Mercury Hunter ……………………………… 174 fps.

Damon Howatt Hunter 62″ –  70# & 2213 w/ 165 grns total up front…………..195 fps.  (For the dozen or so shots that I can manage with this one, the arrows positively scream downrange.

Interesting note; Wyatt Earp once said “Fast in fine…….Accurate is final”.   My ‘go – to’ bow for this past tournament season has been the slowest of the bunch, the Pearson Mercury Hunter.   Still a classic.

• Ralph

My bad……………………I meant Howatt……………………….I had a Howatt Hunter also…………………………

Sometimes a man just gotta sit and ponder these things……..

• Raymond Coffman

R2

Daily problem for me these days — remembering anything in correct order – haha –

What bow is that in the pic ?

Richard

Always interesting to see the variations in speed between bows, and that a 10 to 15 fps upgrade looks ” real fast ” in comparison, I guess because in archery it is —-or at least appears that way to the eye.

Hmmm, the slow, easier to pull bow is practically more accurate  !?— haha methinks they would all get the job done with a sharp broadhead in the right spot.

Scout aka Ray

• richard roop

HEY !!!!! …………………….. Now we know who posed for that statue ‘The Thinker’.    BwaaaaaHaaaaaHaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!

When I get some more free time, I’ll have to drag out the Decibel Meter and compare speed to noise.  I swear, my work is never done.

• Ralph

Scout…

Gerald Johnson of Borger, TX made Yellowjacket Longbows. He retired from bow building several years ago.

He’s now retired to a place where the mule deer bucks that come to visit his backyard will make you drool…The Texas panhandle area.. We have some really good deer in this part of the world.  Access to them though………………………….

Gerald has been a very dear friend for many years.

I have recently been the grateful recipient of the last two bows that he made. The one shown is the last one. She be 60 inches and 41# @ 28″.   She’s my “Lady G”………..

Gerald’s bows are highly thought of by those who own one.

• Raymond Coffman

R2

Beautiful bow – just the style I like. Too bad he retired .

Yes, Texas has a lot of game and Great hunting – but as we know, access is an issue.  Made good friends over the years there, and they still allow me to hunt periodically. Really good folks in Texas always a hoot.

Scout aka Ray

• Jared Smith

I have a question. I am going to traditional archery this year. I just purchased a bow that is drilled and tapped for a plunger. Can I still shoot off the shelf?

Jared

• Raymond Coffman

Jared

Welcome to the forum–

I have not owned a bow with the plunger ( so don’t have a lot of experience with same)  but have shot some. Not sure what bow or type of plunger (on the bow now or just the hole) is involved —Here are a couple thoughts;

You could just disable it,  turn all the way in / tape over / take it off and fill the hole. You could also use it – if low enough in the window to allow shooting off the shelf?

You could trade for a bow that doesn’t have a plunger set up ……if you dislike the feature.

Maybe one of the forum members who is more familiar with plungers will weigh in with some good advice……

Scout aka Ray

• Ralph

You certainly can shoot it of the shelf. You might want to put a tad bit of height underneath the rest, say the thickness of a Popsicle stick.  There are a lot of bows shooting that way.

That’s one of my pet peeves with the trad groups I’ve been involved with, not allowing elevated rests. There is a whole era of classic bows, and current models, that are drilled and tapped for plungers to use with elevated rests.  Shoot, even a Bear Weather Rest is considered an elevated rest.

I figure somebody with pull must of been getting their tail whipped by someone with an elevated rest and outlawed them.

If nothing else, put those bows in the open class with carbon and aluminum arrows.

Elevated rests have been around longer than carbon arrows so if modernization is a problem?????

Just me saying..

• Jared Smith

Thank you for the advise. I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on a first recurve. I bought a October Mountain Smoky Mountain. With your advise I have decided to put a strike plate and shelf rug on it. I think some of the archery clubs are starting to shoot again, so I will shoot some 3D tournament to see how it goes. Thanks again for the help.

Jared

• Ralph

Go for it and have fun…

• Raymond Coffman

Jared

Great! Let us know how it goes….

Scout aka Ray

Viewing 18 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.