What ya got goin'? 2 2016-12-20T15:56:12+00:00

Home Forums Campfire Forum What ya got goin'? 2

Viewing 0 results
  • Author
    #2243 |

I’ll gitter goin’ again folks and see if this works.

Had a nice day today, tad chilly but calm winds. A rarity..

So I was out back dinking around, missing my ol’girl dog being back there with me but gettin over that. Slowly..

Maybe I can make this work???

If not, it’ll be the first mistake I ever made… :-)))

Maybe mistake cause I posted it but life ain’t gotta all be serious….. :-)))))

• This topic was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by R2.
    • This topic was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by R2.
  • Stephen Graf

Your new handle should be : Dances with Bows!

• R2R2

IMG_3710.JPG

Tryin to copy and paste from my phone😜

Ha! Bowdancer!!!

• Robin ConradsRobin Conrads

Trying to post from my phone using the image icon.

• R2R2
  • R2R2

I copy and paste to image and it seems my camera shooting blanks too🙄

• WebmotherWebmother
      Admin

R2 are you on a phone or a computer? On a computer, you would click the image icon, then click the camera and navigate to the photo on your computer and select it, just like you would if you were attaching it to an email. Sorry if I’m confusing you. My previous post was for a phone.

• Robin ConradsRobin Conrads

I’m on an iPhone so this might be different than an android.

Tap the image icon, then look for the camera icon at the end of the source box. I had to turn my phone sideways. Then you get these choices for the image you want to post. I hope that helps.

• R2R2

I constrained the size of the picture here and it’s better it seems.

I just been wanting to say “Happy Solstice Day”.

• R2R2

Just trying to see if this will fly.  :-))

Ha!!! It worked.  Way to go mom……………..

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by R2.
    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by R2.
  • Dave Nash

Sitting by the fireplace dreaming of wild places.Be well guy’s and gal’s

• David CoulterDavid Coulter

20 degrees out with a fairly fresh snow on the ground. I have to go to work this morning and hope to get in a new stand this afternoon. It’ll be a beautiful evening for squirrel watching. All the best, dwc

• R2R2

Hey David.  Good luck.

There’s a range fire blocking the hiway going to my hunting grounds.  Dang…

Last I heard it had burned around 7000 acres.  Open country ranch land so hopefully no lives lost and no structures.

Cows maybe couldn’t get out of the way but I hope they were able to.

Season ends tomorrow and I was going to try spot and stalk turkeys today.

Gotta be way sneakier than me usually for that to be successful  but sometimes lady luck walks beside me.

Maybe tomorrow……………….

R2, go get em. I might pass on my hunt today. I got two more weeks to get some time in.  All the best, dwc

• Stephen Graf

The kids go back to school tomorrow.  This empty nest thing really sucks 😞

Deer season ends today.  No hunting for me.  But squirrel and rabbit go on till Feb, so let the good times role…

I did manage to get a 4 pointer back in late Nov when my kids were home for Thanksgiving.  My boy helped me dress it out and drag it back to the house (which means after I dressed it, he dragged it 😀 )

I have two kids quivers and a kids bow on the work bench that need finishing up.  One more quiver to go for a birthday present.  So that will keep me busy while I am suffering the immediate affects of ENS.

• peter Vermouthpeter Vermouth

We need to start a new thread.  Something like the Autopsy  Report, or The Good, Bad, and Ugly 2016. Where we can share our success (the good ideas that worked) and failures (the good ideas that didn’t work) .  I’m going thru my notes, and memory. Seems like what didn’t work doesn’t stick very well but it is good to remember so we don’t try the same thing again.  Off the top of my head…Rattling didn’t work, doe blats did. To be continued…

OMG MY PIC ISN’T THERE!!!!

HOW WILL ANYONE KNOW ME??

• WebmotherWebmother
      Admin

Hi Grumpy! Glad to see you here.

If you click on your name or your generic image, and then select Edit, you should see a section where you can upload an image for your avatar. Let me know if you need help.

All we need is your prose, grumpy!

Took a New Years stroll looking to trails. Set up a stand in a place I’ve been looking at for years. When I first to to the spot, an old hemlock sitting over a slow spring, two doe started heading my way but winded me out about 150 yards. Lots of tracks. Hope to see some deer there in the next week or so. Happy New Year to you all! Dwc

• R2R2

Boy, we be dry.

Shirley and I went snooping today, it’s wt doe and spike buck for a couple of weeks but we weren’t hunting, just getting out. Saw lots of quail….

• R2R2

“I shot an arrow into the air,

It fell to earth,

I knew not where………………”

Who’da thunk  this pertained to horizontal shots too???…….

• James Harvey

Hey guys,

I’ve had a really busy couple of years and am really looking forward to getting my fingers on a string a bit more this year. And maybe getting to post here a bit more again.

I hope everyone had a great holiday season!

Webmom, the new site looks awesome!

Jim

• WebmotherWebmother
      Admin

Thanks, Jim. It’s good to see you back here.

• R2R2

Welcome back Jim…….

I’m hoping we really get some of the promised moisture that the weather geeks are promising in the next few days. I was out to the range today and it is so very dry.

• R2R2

Getting the moisture but to ease the boredom I thought I’d hang a few icicles out to dry.

I.m glad it’s not as icy here as it is NE of here.  Y’all be really careful would ya.

• Stephen Graf

It was 0 deg and we got 14 inches of snow on Saturday, by Thursday it was 70 deg.

My icicles are bigger than your icicles 😜 (these emoji’s suck)  Just playing with this picture inserting thing.  I like that the pictures can be interspersed with the text.  I was gonna go squirrel hunting in the snow, but chickened out ’cause I didn’t want to lose my few arrows that I’m shooting now.  Getting lazy about making them.

OK, I’m done now.

• R2R2

Nice pics.

We got 3-4″ of snow on top of the ice.  Was pretty “slickery” for awhile.

Squirrels are hard enough on arrows without the added problem of snow.  At least to me that be a truth.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by R2.

Steve, it’s easy, just remember where you shot and go back the next day when the snow melts! Ha! Nice shots. I was wondering how you were making out with that weather pattern.

R2, nice laundry you go there. Sparkling clean!

• William WarrenWilliam Warren

Been doing some walking and thinking. Can’t hunt here but it is a good place to walk and think.

Maybe Webmom can explain why I only have 2 posts. Did my post count start over with the new website? Or did I just do something wrong like set up a new profile? Hmm. Now where are those confound emoticons? **insert the one hitting itself in head with hammer here**

• WebmotherWebmother
      Admin

Hey Duncan, so nice to see you back with us. You did have two accounts, but not because of anything you did. I think it happened during the conversion.  I deleted one and linked that Duncan’s posts to you. So now you have a lot again.

Emojis seem to be an individual thing within your keyboard now. Phones and mobile devices generally have them built in; look for the little smilie face near the space bar when you’re typing.

Here is a document that explains it for all devices; mobile and desktop/laptop computers. This probably isn’t the answer you were hoping for, but I am really having a hard time finding something that works on our site. I found that a quick keystroke combo gives me tons of choices.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Emoji

Keep it “G” please. My grandson’s favorite emoji is the poop. 😂

Thanks Webmom,

I check the site often but sometimes I don’t make comments. I’ll always read the magazine. I’ve been shooting trad since I was a kid and years later when I first saw this magazine on the racks in the bookstore I was thrilled because I was still shooting trad in a world that seemed to have gone all compound. I bought every issue I could get and I still love it.

Duncan

Duncan, that’s a beautiful place for walkin’ & thinkin’.  A fellow is blessed to have such a place. dwc

• R2R2

Hey Duncan!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Howdy….

• R2R2

😁Hey mom, thanks..

I went stumping at the range yesterday.  Beautiful day it was with light wind.

I was diddling with shooting 3 under. Not bad with some practice methinks. One thing though, I’ll think twice before again I try to use my split shooting tab for a three under shot.  The string ate on the tip of my middle finger, ouch…make one do like the jerking the trigger deal.

Today, dang, 30+ mph sustained, 50+ mph gusts.

Glad I got all my misses in yesterday so I don’t have to mess with’em today.

Of course yesterday I could only blame them on moi, no “d*** wind” excuses. 😎

• Cameron UnruhCameron Unruh

I was blessed to spend some time out here last week- beautiful California country!

Can you determine what we were chasing from looking closely at this pic?

• R2R2

Looks like pigs been tearing up the turf.

• Stephen Graf

Hey Duncan, that looks like our very own Eno River walk in Hillsborough…  Seen many deer, rabbits, and groundhogs along that path.

Yes Steve, it is the Eno River walk in Hillsborough. We go on it often.

• R2R2

The weather here is unreal this year. My winter attire whilst stumping at the lease today.

Yesterday I wouldn’t have been able to stand up- 63 mph winds.

• Stephen Graf

40 mph winds here yesterday and 70 deg.  Same today.  Tomorrow back  to a low of 20 and high of 40…

I like a fellow who appreciates redundancy in his quivers 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Stephen Graf.

I spent a few minutes watching the Lancaster Archery Classic Barebow Recurve finals on youtube this morning. That’s a different world than I live in for sure, but really neat to see these guys shooting so well. Cool stuff. dwc

• R2R2

There’s quail out there………..

Somewhere………………….

• Bernie Clancey

Completed work on my fly tying desk this morning and have a good start on some steam bent wooden dip nets.  Keeps my hands busy during the winter and keeps me hoping for spring.desk

A lot of hand sanding to be done to the nets before they are completed.

nets

• Stephen Graf

They look good! Do you tie your own nets too?

• Bernie Clancey

Hi Steve, I do not tie my own nets.  I do purchase netting but I have to sew it into a bag shape.  I think the proper term is knit it into a bag shape.  This year I did order three clear rubber replacement net bags to try but I think the Chinese supplier from Alibaba might have ripped me on that purchase.  Three months since I ordered and they are still not here.  That will teach me a lesson about ordering from them.

I make the nets and give them to friends and family who are into fishing.  I also host a fishing derby for our cottage lot owners association and put one on the prize table.  They have proven popular and I was asked to make a couple for people at the lake.  It’s just a hobby thing and I’m not going commercial with them.  Too many hours work invested in them.

• Stephen Graf

Knit, or maybe crochet?  I’ve watched a few fellows make fishing nets.  I bet its not hard once you learn…

I sure do like to see people make their gear by their own hand.  Thanks or sharing and Good job!

• Bernie Clancey

Knit, or maybe crochet?  I’ve watched a few fellows make fishing nets.  I bet its not hard once you learn…

I sure do like to see people make their gear by their own hand.  Thanks or sharing and Good job!

I like to make my own gear.  In each of the above nets I managed to sneak in a piece of Bo-Tuff glass.  Had some left over from past bow projects.  Here is a pick of some nets I finished last year.

• R2R2

Maybe that’s where all the basketball goal nets disappeared to down at the park y’spose?

Kinda takes the thrill outta those ‘nothing but net’ shots.

• Bernie Clancey

I never thought of the basketball courts as a source for nets.  Hmm………

Still suffering from a cold I got about 4 weeks ago. On the second round of germ killers. Thinking about eating moldy bread on a daily basis…
    Got bow staves from the ash trees the town cut down in the cemetery next door. Drying down cellar now. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

• Stephen Graf

Oh yes! Bow staves…  If you haven’t read Dean Torges Book on Hunting the Osage bow, you owe it to those staves to do so.  I expect there is no better way to beat a cold 🙂

I hope you feel better!

• RiverwolfRiverwolf

"Sun Rise Valley"

Photo test 😉

• RiverwolfRiverwolf

Locust stand ......

A  Locust tree named “Meat” 😉

A group I have known , and spent countless hours with over the years ……..

• R2R2

Nice pictures…….

This is a simple picture but it means something.

After all the high winds, dust storms,wildfires and weird up and down temps here in the panhandle, a blue sky and signs of spring are way welcome…

• RiverwolfRiverwolf

Thanks R2 , kinda just tried the first two out of a folder to see if the picture posting was gonna work for me 😉

Nice pictures all . Those are some mighty fine nets …Do they come in smallmouth size 😉

Like to try my hand at making one of those myself …"Quetico ways "

• R2R2

I’m standing in the middle of Willow Creek which “flows” through the middle of our archery range.

I dang sure ain’t getting my feet wet.

I’m thinking the drought is seriously back around here.

Was a calm day for a rarety though.

• Bernie Clancey

That is a mighty nice bass.  I think my nets could handle that although you might have to fold him a little to get him to go in.  Lots of info on the web on how to make a steam bent wooden dip net.  Its a simple process, but the sanding is time consuming.  Just finished the rough sanding on the drum sander and now ready for the hand sanding.  Might wait for a nice day and do it outside.  The dust from wenge really bothers me.

• Stephen Graf

I noticed the wind picking up around here too.  So I did a little digging and found that the average number of windy days, the average maximum speed, and the average speed have all been increasing for 20 years or so….

Been dry here too.  Had some rain day before yesterday though 🙂

• R2R2

I noticed the sheep and goats out back were all bedded down the other day when the wind was gusting to 63 mph.

I watched for awhile and every time one of them got up it was blown back down.

Didn’t figger you’d believe that…..  :>)) But on the treeless plains………..

I figure that’s why bison grew so big.

Nice bass…

Snow is slowing down we got something over a foot (depending on where you measure) hard to tell we get the wind off the lake here (Gusting over 50 mph).

Thus far I have broken 3 bows from those Ash staves. I cut them out of big trunks (15″ in diameter) by setting my circular saw at 45*, dropping the blade down, and 2 rip cuts 4″ apart. That gives you a long triangle. Made them 6′ long, and dried them in a tube that I hooked up to our forced hot air heat. 🙂 Not cheap, frugal. I’m making them as per THE BENT STICK. Works as long as you don’t bend them before they are ready. Unlike THE BENT STAVE I am backing them with fiberglass. Tendons and raw hide are kinda rare around here. I have one that I just fiberglass which I suspect will be about 55#. If I don’t break it.

Working with ash has problems getting the bark off without damaging the sap wood. I have two sources for hickory which should work out better. The ash is good practice.

Pete

• Stephen Graf

Back in the day, there was a material called foristan.  I think that’s the word.  Anyway, it wasn’t much more than heavy construction paper.  It was a very popular material to back bows with.

I’m thinking the heavy duty rolls of paper you can get at Lowes and Home Depot in the paint department would work as well.   Way more cool than fiberglass imho.

Glue it on with titebond.  Color it as you see fit.  I’ve seen some old bows backed with it and it looked real nice.

• R2R2

Hey folks, I want to make an apology to everyone for being testy and argumentative here awhile back.

We ought to be able to debate, cuss and discuss all factors of traditional archery, never argue.  No one ever wins an argument except in their own mind but I won nothing in my mind, perhaps only lost some friends and compadres.

I have too many years of shooting, mostly longbows, building everything we use in our pursuit of traditions, too much to share and also to learn (my bow building experience, well there’s this funny feel, little crack..nuff said on that). Too many years hunting, good things happen, bad things happen, but all happened and I learned from all.

I need not alienate anyone. I don’t want to.

I also have too much orneriness to share. . Perhaps a picture or two now and then.

I’m sorry if I caused any trouble or stepped on any toes..

Ralph.

That said, dry around here??????????

Even Yankees love you Ralph.

Grumpy

• R2R2

Not professional by any means but I was having fun with my old piece of wood. (Hickory Grumpy)

I let the headless one get 12 yards from me just to be a fair person. :-))

Yeah, the last shot did destroy a nock.

• Stephen Graf

They sure do have some strange looking critters skulking around texas.  I’m glad you took care of that one Ralph.  Looks a might tough though 🙂

• R2R2

Seems the stalk was awful easy.  Shoulda known something was amiss..Or missing???

Is it dead yet??

Grumpy

• R2R2

Thinkin on going purely trad after turkeys and pigs next week..

• R2R2

A much smarter choice.. I cain’t run fast enough to catch a turkey, cain’t outrun a pissed pig.  Best they not know I’m around methinks…

The white feathers are way visible as they pass by a turkey………..

Fred Bear had better white fletched arrows, seemed they always went to the critter.  Mine seem to bypass the critters.

Has to be the arrows..

• Stephen Graf

You are a wild man Ralph.

I like yellow feathers, they are even better at passing the critter by…

Yeah, I like yellow, except when the birch leaves fall. I thought I had parabolic, but I got birch leaf pattern. dwc

• R2R2

To borrow a bit from Edna St. Vincent Millay:

All I could see from where I stood

Was largest elm tree in the woods.

Then I turned and looked the other way

And saw the hell that man can play

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Webmother.

Nice use of the poetry. It’s all around us. It’s good to find a place in the woods where we can hide from it now and then. peace, dwc

• R2R2

How do you edit?  That’s “Borrow” not bowwow.

Used to say edit at the bottom of as post??

• WebmotherWebmother
    Admin

On mine it’s at the top of the post. Let me know if you can’t edit and I’ll do it. I thought I fixed that but this silly system does things I’d never do!

• Stephen Graf

My experience is that you have about 5 minutes to edit.   Then that option is gone forever.

• R2R2

If you would please Robin. I see no choice other than where it says insert/edit image.

Thanks..

• R2R2

I hate to be sarcastic but this is gotta be one of the most brilliant scientific discoveries of all time…

Imagine a bear using it’s nose to find dinner.

And it only took 11 years of research to figure this out.

Ya spose there’s a reason we hunt into the wind?

https://phys.org/news/2017-04-polar-prey.html?utm_source=nwletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-nwletter

Howdy folks,

For some mystery of the universe I’ve not been able to log in to this site. I’m sitting at the garage getting tires put on a car and behold, I have access.

R2, love that article on the bears. None of us would have guessed!  Seeing lots of deer, lots of turkeys, lots of eagles. Watched a couple of mergansers flapping off the water through the morning mist on the creek early this morning. Shooting quite a bit and sometimes pretty well. It’s a great time to be in the woods. Tomorrow will be a good morning to hide eggs in the dark.

All the best to you all. peace, david

• David Becker

The only upside to “mandatory overtime” is that in addition to our new kitchen, I gave myself permission to buy a hand made longbow. Up till now I’ve been shooting a Samick Trailblazer, and while glad to have it, I was curious if I was shooting to the limits of the equipment.

RMS Gear had a Dwyer Original Longbow (68″ 53@28) which I ordered Friday. It got here Monday and I have to say, it’s a dream. Since I work from home, it’s easy to take a break and fling a few arrows. Over the course of this week, a “few” has turned into a couple hundred in the odd moment here in there. Some moments have been a little more odd than others, but I think I made a good choice with the bow. There’s an ineffable something about  this bow that is letting me shoot better. I still have to do my part, but it makes it much easier to do my part, if that makes sense.

The only downside is where my arrows used to be more, shall we say, “evenly distributed” on my Rineheart 18-1, I’m starting to chew the centers out. They already sent me a free one, so I guess the next one is on me.

Great here. No snow, no cold, no bugs… Opps I had the first tic the other day. But really nice out in the woods. Too bad I have the garden to get ready, the lawn to mow, just changed oil in both cars, mine needs disc pads… When I get all of that done…

• R2R2

Nice at the ranch today.

Yuccas are soon to be really bloomed out despite we had a freeze here last night. Probably the last one????

Viewing 0 results

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.