Welcome 2016-12-28T14:33:01+00:00

Home Forums Campfire Forum Welcome

Viewing 0 results
  • Author
    Admin
    #2139 |

Hello and welcome to the new Tradbow.com Campfire Forums. Please pull up a chair and start a conversation with other like-minded folks. For those of you who don’t know me, I’m Robin, the Webmother on this site and I’ll be moderating forums and helping out with any problems or questions on this site. Feel free to email me any time at webmaster@tradbow.com.

Update: Please read through this entire thread for issues and solutions that have been brought up since the move.

Have fun!

• Stephen Graf

So….  Is there a mail system (Private Message) with this new forum?  Just wondering as I couldn’t find it…  I was going to add a confused face emoji but I couldn’t find them either….

• Robin ConradsRobin Conrads
      Admin

I will do a little searching and see what I can find for messaging and emojis. Thanks for the suggestions.

Admin

The old forum is no longer available. All posts have been moved here.

A little more help for getting to the old forum and also for saving posts that you might want to keep.

To get to the old forum, scroll down past the Outdoor Chef section and click on the red bar that says Campfire Forum. That should take you to the login page, then the forum. If there are old posts you want to save, I can save them as pdfs for you.

On my computer I can print, then choose “save as pdf”.

On an iPhone, tap the square with an up arrow, then scroll the first set of choices until you see “Save PDF to iBooks” and tap on that.

On my Android tablet (using Chrome browser) tap the three dots in the upper right corner and choose Share > Print and then Save as PDF in the upper left.

I hope one of these helps you. Hopefully we can keep the old forum up for a while, but I’d like new conversations to start in the new forum. Post any questions you have. You might mention something to me that someone else is struggling with, just like this. I can take all those instructions and share with the other guys.

I don’t like that you can’t get back to the other forum posts. I’ve added that to my list of things to fix. 😉

Robin

• Col MikeCol Mike

I did it. This will take some getting used to.  Oh well as the ice storm approaches will give me something to do as long as the power stays on.

Semper Fi

mike

Admin

You can now edit your profile and add a picture without using Gravatar.

• Bill Schofield

I really like this new site it is very user friendly

• David CoulterDavid Coulter

Hi Webmom, I’m in and it seems to be working. I’ll continue to check in later today. Thank you for your efforts! Best, david

• Stephen Graf

I looked at the thread I started called Shadow Hunter as there had been some additional comments since the last I logged in.  But the pictures don’t show up anymore.  I started the thread with 2 pictures…

Did some of the pictures not come over in the transfer?

Admin

Aw, crap! It looks like Photobucket images came through, but not direct uploads. Let me see what I can do. 🙁

Steve brought up another good point. Private Messages did not transfer over. If you have messages you want to save, please go to the old site and save those in the next few days.

Here’s a link, even though it says not to log in: http://www.tradbow.com/members/login.cfm

Admin

Okay, the converter folks tell me the photo problem is fixed. (Where is that clapping emoji?) I see images in Steve’s post, Shadow Hunter. I don’t know what other photos were directly uploaded (rather than linked to Photobucket) so if you guys see that anything else that is missing, please let me know. I really appreciate getting feedback to make this forum usable/enjoyable for all of you.

Mom

• Stephen Graf

On that thought, one more thing…

I haven’t figured out how to navigate the site very well yet.  One issue is how to return to a forum after adding a reply.  If I use the back button on the browser I end up having to go back past the added message.  That seems wrong.  So if just go to the members menu at the top and navigate from there.

It would be nice to have an easy way to get back into the forum.

Admin

Yep, that is still high on my list of things to do. I added it to the Members>Forums menu so we’d have something, but I’m still not happy with that, either. On the page that shows all the forums, you’ll see a sidebar to login/logout, go to different forums, see the latest replies, etc. I’d like that to show on all pages.

On that note, I’d also like to be able to tell which post/replies I haven’t read yet, and who’s online. And those danged emojis… So if you are bombing around here and you see weird changes, it might be me just trying different things.

Admin

YES!!! 👏 We now have a navigation sidebar on all pages.

Emojis seem to be an individual thing within your keyboard now. Phones and mobile devices generally have them built in; look for the little smilie face near the space bar when you’re typing.

Here is a document that explains it for all devices; mobile and desktop/laptop computers. This probably isn’t the answer you were hoping for, but I am really having a hard time finding something that works on our site. I found that a quick keystroke combo gives me tons of choices.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Emoji

Keep it “G” please. My grandson’s favorite emoji is the poop. 😂

• Stephen Graf

😀  😎

Hi Robin, progress!! A Couple things, I’m sure you’re working on. I lost the personal image aspect in the profile section. Some places I see you can send a personal message and some places you cannot. That was below the member’s name, as is on Steve’s above, but not on others.

Happy New Year! Let’s celebrate the advances and dedicated work by Robin and the others that keep this thing breathing! best, dwc

ps. What’s the Tags: section for? d

Admin

David, I think your photo was lost when the conversion copied over changes that were made during that week. If you click on your name or your generic image, and then select Edit, you should see a section where you can upload an image for your avatar. Let me know if you need help.

The private message thing might be in your profile. Weird that you can’t PM me. I’ll look into that. My guess is that many of the members who posted in the forums over the years are not really “active” on this new site, they were just transferred. That could also be why the message link doesn’t show for them. Hmmm… more research is needed.

Tags is like hashtags (#) on other programs. If you want your post to be searchable by certain words, like whitetail hunting or kids bows you can put those phrases in the tags section. (You don’t need a hashtag.) I haven’t really played with the search function much.

Admin

Duh! Why would I PM myself? Sometimes I get this stuff, and sometimes my blonde is showing. 😜

• Stephen Graf

I wonder if you can change the data that is viewed in the forum header?

I wonder if you could exchange “Number of Views” for “voices”?  Just curious.  And maybe I am alone in thinking that “views” is a better measure of the interest in a post than “voices”.

Admin

Great idea! I agree that number of views is a better measure of interest. I’ll see what I can do.

I’m also looking for a way to show “unread posts”, but you would have to be logged in to see that. Are you guys seeing that the site keeps you logged in?

Admin

Okay, it’s coming along. We are showing voices and views. You will see the number of views under the topic title and author.

You might also notice a blue line next to topics that you haven’t read or that have new replies.

Good morning Webmom, under a post is a line for tags. What’s that? Is that where we put our favorite quotes? Thanks, dwc

Admin

No, that is something else. I’ll figure out where in your profile to put a quote.

Tags are like hashtags in other programs. Say you are talking about tuning your bow, you could put a tag like shooting, or tuning and someone would find the post if they search for that term. They would likely find the post because of the conversation too, so I think I will look for a way to remove that Tag field.

• wTk

Robin every time I go to a new page I get the popup to sign up for the e-mail newsletter. There doesn’t seem to be a way to stop it and it gets irritating. Thanks, galen

Admin

I agree that would be irritating. I thought it was set to only show up once per day. I will look into it.

The program we use for that form doesn’t know that you’re already signed up for the Tip of the Week. If you sign up for the tip again, using that form, you will not get two emails and the form will go away. I know, that isn’t a solution…but it will make it stop for now.

• wTk

Sorry Robin but I really hate this new web page. It is so nonuser friendly. It takes me 3 to 5 times clicking on a drop down list to get it to take me anywhere. Sorry but I won’t be using this or visiting much in the future.
    Galen

Admin

Hi Galen,

I am really sorry to hear that! You will be missed.

Our intention was to make it easier, not harder. If you could give me some examples, I am always happy to look into improving the site for our visitors…especially our regulars. If you like, you can post the examples here, or email me privately at webmaster@tradbow.com.

Anyone else have comments as to where you get hung up on the site? This is very  much a work in progress.

• wTk

Robin I can use my laptop though the site is a bit slow but trying to get on with my phone is a real pain.

Admin

Okay. Thanks for the feedback. I will look into it. I think I’ll move “Forums” to the main menu bar.

• Stephen Graf

A couple questions:

1.  So I made a spelling error in one of my posts and I wanted to edit it.  Couldn’t figure out how…  How do I get back in to a post if I want to edit it?

2.  The font is so small.  Is there a way to get in and make the font bigger so I can see this stuff better?

thanks.

Admin

Hi Steve,

I know I changed the font size before, but it must get reset when there is an update. 😡 I’ll keep an eye on that in the future.

Also, the settings only allowed edits for 5 minutes after posting, then not allowing edits after that. I’ve changed it to the longest setting, 2147483647 minutes. That’s a dumb setting. On future posts you should see an Edit option in the gray bar above your post. Let me know if that is not the case.

• RiverwolfRiverwolf

Excellent job with the New website design !

Really like the looks and ability to navigate with the new design . Will definitely visit much more , and hopefully join in on the many great “cyber campfire” conversations   .

Thank you Robin for the time and energy involved in such changes ……….

Viewing 0 results

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.