More archers paradox 2017-03-20T13:18:23+00:00

Home Forums Campfire Forum More archers paradox

  • Author
    Posts
  • Troy Breeding
    Member
    Post count: 994
    #6266 |

    This is one of the best slo-mos of the arrows paradox I’ve seen. Be sure and watch it all the way. It shows what can happen when you shoot and arrow with too low of spine.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzWrcpzuAp8

    Troy

  • David Petersen
    Member
    Post count: 2765

    Well you get a gold star for this one, Troy! Man, how amazing; almost unbelievable. Even my wife will enjoy and be astounded by this one, and she’s not an archer.

    Things I noted through the various shots: How the feathers flopped like dishrags, how in at least one shot the arrow continued turning after impact and well into the target (appears to be lots of helical at work there), the extreme wave-like flexibility of the shaft in paradox (I had thought the cartoonist who drew the Disney cartoon paradox (featured in another thread here) had way overdone it, but obviously not), and how the first few arrows demonstrated not just a single bend to the right, but several bends-and-recoveries timed in cycle with shaft rotation. Bottom line, I don’t have a clue what I can take away from all of this to make me a better archer, but it’s always tremendously interesting to see the “invisible reality” at work within the laws of physics. Even the music was fun. 😀 Thanks for sharing, Dave

  • Troy Breeding
    Member
    Post count: 994

    Dave,

    I had seen another video about like this one several years ago.

    After viewing this clip the first time I knew I needed to post it.

    Hopefully it will make atleast afew think about shooting such light spine. I hear fellows say they are shooting really low spines (500-600) out of mid weight bows and it send chills up my spine.

    I wish I could show them this video when I hear them say that.

    Troy

  • Troy Breeding
    Member
    Post count: 994

    I saw another video today that really shows what happens when paper tuning. If I can find it I will post it on this thread.

    Troy

  • Troy Breeding
    Member
    Post count: 994

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW8VMi8lClw

    This is the video I was talking about.

    Troy

  • ray montoya
    Member
    Post count: 40

    Easton Archery made a slo mo video in the early 90’s showing arrow paradox and he way bows flex upon release and the way different arrow materials flex and look like rubber hoses when they impact targets. I was always amazed the way bows shake and bend.

    Bohning Products, makers of the Blazer Vane makes slo mo videos showing how feathers and vanes flap and fold in flight, thats why they came out with the stiff, short Blazer vane.

    I shoot .500 spine shafts out of my 55# recurves with no problems what so ever. Its all about arrow tuning.

  • Troy Breeding
    Member
    Post count: 994

    Ray Montoya wrote: Easton Archery made a slo mo video in the early 90’s showing arrow paradox and he way bows flex upon release and the way different arrow materials flex and look like rubber hoses when they impact targets. I was always amazed the way bows shake and bend.

    Bohning Products, makers of the Blazer Vane makes slo mo videos showing how feathers and vanes flap and fold in flight, thats why they came out with the stiff, short Blazer vane.

    I shoot .500 spine shafts out of my 55# recurves with no problems what so ever. Its all about arrow tuning.

    I don’t question your statement about tuning one bit. The reason I posted this video is too many shooters just want to take someone elses word instead of doing the tuning themselves.

    The fellow in the video pretty much says the same. Long draw, shelf cut past center and light weight spines want always go together. In the video for him the 400’s were by far the best.

    Troy

  • Vintage Archer
    Member
    Post count: 275

    Troy strange looking rest for a bow in the paper testing video.It sure looks like a casket.I am glad there are mutiple uses for them:D Both are great jut one a little creepy:lol:

  • Ireland
    Member
    Post count: 108

    Ray Montoya wrote: Easton Archery made a slo mo video in the early 90’s showing arrow paradox and he way bows flex upon release and the way different arrow materials flex and look like rubber hoses when they impact targets. I was always amazed the way bows shake and bend.

    Bohning Products, makers of the Blazer Vane makes slo mo videos showing how feathers and vanes flap and fold in flight, thats why they came out with the stiff, short Blazer vane.

    I shoot .500 spine shafts out of my 55# recurves with no problems what so ever. Its all about arrow tuning.

    The Easton video is outstanding! Most archery shops in the early 1990’s had the video for viewing. It would be great to have it posted here.

    Ireland

  • J.Wesbrock
    Member
    Post count: 761

    Ireland wrote:

    The Easton video is outstanding! Most archery shops in the early 1990’s had the video for viewing. It would be great to have it posted here.

    Ireland

    I remember that video too. It was the first time I saw high speed video of a bow and arrow during the shot. To say it was eye opening would be an understatement. I wish I could find a copy of it somewhere.

    Another good one from back then was the tuning video Easton put out with Jay Barrs after he won his Olympic gold in ’88. That was probably the first time I saw bare shaft tuning not only explained so easily, but done so thoroughly. Looking back, I also find it interesting that what we as bowhunters consider fine tuning, Olympic shooters consider a good starting point. Their attnetion to detail is amazing.

  • J.Wesbrock
    Member
    Post count: 761

    vintage archer wrote: Troy strange looking rest for a bow in the paper testing video.It sure looks like a casket.I am glad there are mutiple uses for them:D Both are great jut one a little creepy:lol:

    Joe,

    The gentleman who made the paper tuning video is a funeral director and shot the video (along with a few others) at his place of employment.

  • Vintage Archer
    Member
    Post count: 275

    Jason, I figured that out.I guess I should have concentrated more on the paper tuning which was great,but I was distracted by the surroundings.Thanks

    Joe

  • Troy Breeding
    Member
    Post count: 994

    vintage archer wrote: Troy strange looking rest for a bow in the paper testing video.It sure looks like a casket.I am glad there are mutiple uses for them:D Both are great jut one a little creepy:lol:

    Joe,

    I wondered how long it was going to take before someone else noticed that.:D:D

    Troy

  • Mark Turton
    Member
    Post count: 762

    A while ago there was a thread about single bevel broadhead aerodynamics and rotational force generated by the bevel, I tried to do the maths using equations established for determining propeller efficiency, I was way out of my depth. Closest I came to a conclusion was that acceleration, time of flight (over 20m.) etc. resulted in no measurable effect, but like I say well out of my depth so feel free to ignore the whole headache.

    However as Dave P pointed out the in the slow mo footage the shaft of the arrow was still rotating in the target suggesting that a combination of the arrows rotation and a single bevel drive the broadhead in such a manner as to create the helical wound channels and damage to bone.

    It will be very interesting to read Doc. Ashby’s comments on this footage.

  • J.Wesbrock
    Member
    Post count: 761

    pothunter wrote:

    However as Dave P pointed out the in the slow mo footage the shaft of the arrow was still rotating in the target suggesting that a combination of the arrows rotation and a single bevel drive the broadhead in such a manner as to create the helical wound channels and damage to bone.

    It will be very interesting to read Doc. Ashby’s comments on this footage.

    Perhaps I missed something, but I didn’t see any broadheads on those arrows.

  • Mark Turton
    Member
    Post count: 762

    No broadheads on the arrows, it just bought to mind the old thread where single bevel and conventional broadheads were being discussed.

    The slow motion footage made me to consider what might be happening when the two are combined.

    Sorry for causing confusion.

  • Wexbow
    Member
    Post count: 403

    Great videos, thanks guys

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.