Groves Spitfire bows 2017-07-04T09:18:23+00:00

Home Forums Bows and Equipment Groves Spitfire bows

• Author

Just picked up a beauty. Its shorter than most bows that I shoot (56 inches) but now that I’m only drawing to 27 1/2 inches ,it could be fun. Anyone know if you can tall by the serial number when they were built? I’ve seen other postings,but it seems no one has a good handle on the serial numbers. Also its 56#’s and I draw to 27 1/2 inches ,dacron string,and I’d like shoot old Bear greenies out of it. Any idea what shaft ,spine to shoot? Open to all suggestions shafts

.Thank you

• Raymond CoffmanRaymond Coffman

1longbow

That’s a real historical bow. I used to visit Groves Archery when it was still making bows. I attended Univ of NM in the early 70s.

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question. However, I know the daughter wrote a book ( mostly a remembrance- with a lot of newspaper/ magazine clippings.)and I believe it is still available on Amazon. Which might give you more information or at least the historical background of the bow.

The legend of Harold Groves and the Spitfire bow by Sandra Burbridge

As I recall they were fast bows –

Cyberscout

• 1Longbow

Thank you Ray

You bet

Let us know how it shoots

cyberscout

PS

Easton spine chart for your bow weight and draw suggests a 2117, 2215 or 2020 aluminum shaft if you have any of those handy to try.

cybrrscout

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.