Finger pain 2017-06-30T06:51:04+00:00

Home Forums Campfire Forum Finger pain

• Author

Hi folks,

I’m having some pain in the first knuckle of my middle finger on my string hand. I’ll be getting checked out by my chiropractor who comes from a sports / trainer background. I known it’s not due to getting older…. nope, nope. Certainly it could have to due with form I suspect. I thought I should check here to see if anyone has any ideas from an coaching or form perspective.

By the way, I’m shooting a 62 inch, 46# r/d longbow with a black widow glove, which is fairly heavy. I used to shoot with a duraglove and it seemed my fingers needed a little more padding.

All the best to you, david

• Stephen Graf

David,

Sorry to hear about your finger.  I’ve been through a few finger episodes myself.

For clarification,  By “first joint”, do you mean the one closest to the end of your finger, or closest to your palm?  I’m guessing you are talking about the joint that takes the string.

If that joint is suffering from shooting, it means that it is doing most of the work during the draw.  Ideally, the load should be evenly distributed between the 3 fingers.

Ray Axford, in his book Archery Anatomy, suggests picking the string up with the first and third finger, putting a slight load on the hand, and then picking the string up with the middle finger.  I’ve found this method helpful as I tend to have a lazy index finger.

• David CoulterDavid Coulter

Hi Steve, I figured you would have an idea for me. Thank you very much. I’m going to give the finger a couple days. My chiropractor did  some work on the finger and my forearm. He suggested that I should increase fluid intake as joints can suffer due to dehydration. What he did has offered some relief. I also discussed that I switched from a thin Duraglove to a heavier StickTight glove. With the heavier glove I get more protection but can’t curl my fingers as in as much of a hook. Perhaps there some extra leverage or pressure when I can’t curl my fingers. He suggested alternating gloves to see if that helps. I’ll definitely try what you have recommended. I appreciate your help. Thanks! David

I picked Archery Anatomy off the shelf and found the section on drawing hand and proper string location. I see the recommendation for settling the load in the first and third fingers before the middle finger.  Seems that I saw or read somewhere that the load is on the joint of first two fingers and the pad of the third. I think that’s what I do and is why the pad of the third or ring finger is sometimes sore and callused. Thanks for the tip and reminding me of that book. Good stuff. Best, dwc

• Stephen Graf

Your welcome! Hope it helps.

One the interesting things he observed in the book was that if you have a callus somewhere on your hand from the string, it means the string is rubbing that spot.  Which in turn means the finger isn’t leaving the string correctly.

I used to have a monster callus on my ring finger.  Since learning to better balance my fingers, that callus has diminished significantly.

Steve, I have a small callus on my ring finger. That finger was getting tender and that’s why I switched to a heavier glove. I shot a few arrows this morning. With the lighter Duraglove, which feels really thin now, I can bend my fingers into a deep hook and use all three fingers more evenly. With the heavier glove I now see how I’m not curling my fingers around the string.

I’ll be doing some blank bale for awhile now focusing on my string fingers.

thanks your four help! Happy Fourth,

dwc

• R2R2

For what little it may be of use David, I’ve found that a stiffer glove tends to hang a tad more on my middle finger and it is pulled more upon release.

Just me sayin!

Also it seems to help me a lot when I keep my middle finger to myself.

R2, straightening out that finger only provide temporary relief….   Deep hook and drawing down into my back helps a lot so far. Best to ya, d w c

• peter Vermouthpeter Vermouth

Cut off the offending finger.
    Pete

• Stephen Graf

Grumpy,  Is that why you have no appendages to spare?

Grumpy, I hope all that sawdust you made wasn’t red.  I’ll have to look for photos of those new hickory bows. Dc

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.