Cock Feather In 2017-07-16T19:35:27+00:00

Home Forums Campfire Forum Cock Feather In

• Author

Just curious, what are the reasons you have heard that shooting cock feather in gives better arrow flight?

I have heard that it is due to stiff arrows…..

• peter Vermouthpeter Vermouth

My big brother said the cock feather ALWAYS goes out.
    And we all know big brothers are NEVER wrong.

Cock feather?? I don’t have feathers down there….

Grumpy

• Stephen Graf

The cock feather is so named because of it’s purpose in making the arrow ready to shoot.  It is the same usage as when we say the gun is cocked.

By the same token, the other two feathers are not “hen” feathers as is commonly believed.  They are actually called shaft feathers.

Here endith the lesson.  Grumpy, get your hands out of your pants (rolling eyes emoji here)

• David CoulterDavid Coulter

Steve, don’t paint those pictures…  dwc

• Stephen Graf

Sorry David….

Oh yea, arrow flight….  In my experience it doesn’t much matter which way the cock feather is oriented.  I’ve noticed that some bows prefer it one way, and some the other.

With carbon arrows, you can do what you want.  With wood arrows, it’s a good idea to get the grain run out oriented correctly so that, should the arrow break, it will break away from your hand.  Then orienting the cock feather becomes more of a safety issue than an accuracy issue.

• Col MikeCol Mike

Fletch with four A&A feathers and one does not have to worry about that. Of course you gotta bare shaft tune first.

Poor Grumpy to long from the evolutionary chain from dinosaurs—although some of us have been referred to as them. Bird brain is another descriptive term applied to me.

Semper Fi

Mike

• R2R2

Since the proverbial question off what came first, the hen feather or the shaft  feather, the hen wants to know if the feathers are shafted or are the shafts feathered?

The hen has been shafted out of a job it seems😏

• peter Vermouthpeter Vermouth

Getting close to the edge, Mike…..

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.