arrow diameter 2017-03-15T12:38:05+00:00

Home Forums Bows and Equipment arrow diameter

Viewing 0 results
  • Author

Do ya’ll think these micro diameter arrows are as strong as conventional 5/16″ and 9/32″ shafts?

• Stephen Graf

If you are talking about pultruded carbon shafts, the answer is yes.

Axis arrows, or whatever….

• Ptaylor

pultruded… I assume that’s some kind of degrading term for carbon arrows!? But I couldn’t find that word in the dictionary.

I get that you like wood shafts better. I’m just trying to educate myself, since we sell compound gear along with traditional tackle at the shop. And I was reading some info about these micro diameter shafts, companies always trying to push a new product.

• Stephen Graf

Pultruded is a word that describes the manufacturing process.  When carbon arrows first came out, they were all small diameter and were manufactured by pulling epoxy coated glass fibers through a die. The nock and point connection points were called “outserts” as the shafts were so small they had to go on the outside of the shaft.

The first carbon arrow shafts were actually re-purposed shafts originally manufactured for tents and kites in France.  Once their popularity increased, shafts were manufactured for the purpose of making arrows.

Then the larger shafts were “invented” and manufactured by weaving or laying the glass fibers around a spindle.  The larger diameter shafts were thought to be nicer because they looked more like arrows and had internal components.

Now we are back to reinventing the smaller diameter shafts again, only this time with small nock and point inserts that go on the inside.

I don’t mean to disparage arrows of any sort.  I’m sorry if I came across that way.

• Ptaylor

No worries Steve, it’s understandable. That’s interesting to hear about the history of the carbon shaft.

Viewing 0 results

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Become a Better Traditional Bowhunter!

Sign up for Tip of the Week and we will send you an email every week with the best tips and tricks for hunting with a traditional bow!

We promise to never spam you!